GoPro HD - Helmet Mounting - Side or Top??

Showing 1 to 15 (of 28)
NEXT
  #1.  Posted 05/02/2011 @ 16:00  
Rob_Quads
I've just got a GoPro and looking at getting the fixings all sorted before I go away. Wondered what peoples throughts are on the best place the mount it on the helmet?

Top - Many I hear say this gives too high a view, slightly detached and of course you look a complete prat wearing it on the top

Side - Gives an eye view, doesn't look quite so silly.
TOP NEWQUOTEREPLY
  #2.  Posted 05/02/2011 @ 17:23  
In reply to post #1 ...
Ianastles
Ive got two and run them all the time. Mostly use the top of helmet, the angle is fine and who cares what you look like you there to board! Or if you do care what you look like why not film yourself with it on a pole? :-)
TOP NEWQUOTEREPLY
  #3.  Posted 05/02/2011 @ 20:41  
In reply to post #2 ...
tombolton82
Get as many mounts as you can and experiment with them all when you're there. I've got a contour and my mate has a go pro, we both looked like prats but who cares! You will soon get use to it and forget about what everyone else thinks. Also you'll probably see a few people wearing various diffent cams so it's becoming more widespread.

Also as the previous guy said, get a pole. I bought an extendable pole (monopod) with a standard camera screw thread on the bottom and the got an adaptor, I'm sure you could get a similar thing. You can get great shots on lifts, face shots holding it in front of you and rear shots holding it behind you. Or you can stab it into the snow when your mucking around on kickers and stuff.
TOP NEWQUOTEREPLY
  #4.  Posted 06/02/2011 @ 19:08  
In reply to post #3 ...
-=JK=-
try & keep a bit of variety.

helmet top & side, pole mount & hand-held.

be a shame to come back with Gb's of footage that all looks the same.

i have a HD Hero, and tend to hand hold it with a wrist strap so i don't lose it. Works well.
TOP NEWQUOTEREPLY
  #5.  Posted 06/02/2011 @ 20:34  
redline
Following the suggestions of using a pole, I recently picked one up myself for an upcoming trip. Best one I found can be seen here: LINK

Am hoping to receive it tomorrow, so give me a shout if you want some feedback on quality, usability etc. I am going to use with the new HDMax Extreme cam
TOP NEWQUOTEREPLY
  #6.  Posted 06/02/2011 @ 22:35  
In reply to post #5 ...
kerb

QUOTE (redline - 06/02/2011 @ 20:34)

Following the suggestions of using a pole, I recently picked one up myself for an upcoming trip. Best one I found can be seen here: LINK

I got that exact one, chose it because it was longest and lightest. Trouble is it's just an overgrown car aerial with nothing but a small amount of friction to stop the sections rotating.

So half way down most of my runs the camera would rotate 180 degrees - a novel film effect but hardly what I was after.

Got looser and more wobbly as the week progressed

Got one of these now http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120676555252 it's a little shorter and less compact to carry, but the sections twist to lock and generally much more robust.
TOP NEWQUOTEREPLY
  #7.  Posted 07/02/2011 @ 09:32  
isherwood
I used my new Gopro a few weeks ago in Mayrhofen and got 15 gigs worth of footage over 7 days boarding.

I had it mounted on the top, side and front of helmet.

90% of my footage was on the top, dont forget you can clip it in facing behind you too, which some of my best footage is actually from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73bw-N54VeA

I wasn't keen on the side of helmet as it made my helmet heavier on one side (obviously) and it felt weird on my head, the actual footage isnt much different (other than having a slither of my helmet in the corner).

I found that as the field of view is so huge it doesnt matter where you put it, you'll get what your facing in.

I was pleasently surprised with the footage I got using the front of my helmet, I had it pointind down at my body as I was boarding, with my goggles just about running along the bottom of the screen, it will be good for little snippets just to break up all the other shots when I compile them into one video

ps. As for looking silly, you'll probably be surprised with how many people use them now, I saw a handful of people using them every day I was boarding.

call me Chris.

giving your snowboard a paint job
some photos
mostly boarding blog
Revision #1 (Last edited: 07/02/2011 @ 09:34)
TOP NEWQUOTEREPLY
  #8.  Posted 07/02/2011 @ 13:45  
In reply to post #6 ...
redline

QUOTE (kerb - 06/02/2011 @ 22:35)

I got that exact one, chose it because it was longest and lightest. Trouble is it's just an overgrown car aerial with nothing but a small amount of friction to stop the sections rotating.

So half way down most of my runs the camera would rotate 180 degrees - a novel film effect but hardly what I was after.

Got looser and more wobbly as the week progressed

Got one of these now http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120676555252 it's a little shorter and less compact to carry, but the sections twist to lock and generally much more robust.

Thanks for the info Kerb. What a shame, I saw the pole you have listed and opted for the more expensive one, assuming it would be better quality. Obviously not - I will confirm if mine is the same once received! I hope for my sake they have poor quality control and it was a one-off
TOP NEWQUOTEREPLY
  #9.  Posted 07/02/2011 @ 18:15  
In reply to post #8 ...
philw
Helmet mounting... it's hard to get that footage so it's not really shaky and that can be hard to watch. If you do it, it's not a bad idea to have some reference point in the frame (eg a bit of the helmet etc). I think it works better for skiers though for several reasons. You can also use the "parrot cam" (shoulder) mount which seems to work a bit better for boarding.

Poles: those poles you're linking all look too short to me. As an egotist, you want to get all of you and all of your board in the shot, or at least I think that works best myself. For that you want to have at least 1.20m of pole out there, and of course you need the camera properly aligned. Ski poles are fairly easy to find at ski resorts and they work really well. You can probably borrow/ rent an old ski pole from someone, and that plus a bit of duct tape is all you really need. Plus if you crash on it then it's not going to kill you as they're designed to be crashed on.
TOP NEWQUOTEREPLY
  #10.  Posted 07/02/2011 @ 18:49  
In reply to post #9 ...
tombolton82
I bought the more expensive of the 2 poles too, the xshot one. I didn't have a problem with mine at all and found it to be very goo. I got some great shots with it and it seemed to stay in the same position when I was using it.
I wouldnt want to use a ski pole though, where are you going to put that when your not using it. The one I got easily went in my pack and you could probably fit that one and ones like it into a large pocket
TOP NEWQUOTEREPLY
  #11.  Posted 07/02/2011 @ 18:54  
In reply to post #10 ...
tombolton82
Plus after spending about 300 quid on a state of the art hd camera do you really want to use a crappy old ski pole and some duct tape......
TOP NEWQUOTEREPLY
  #12.  Posted 07/02/2011 @ 19:49  
In reply to post #11 ...
Rob_Quads
Thanks for all the comments. Think I will put a fixing on the front and top of the helmet so then I can just see what works when I am away.

I also have a monipod for the other angle too.
TOP NEWQUOTEREPLY
  #13.  Posted 07/02/2011 @ 20:42  
In reply to post #11 ...
philw

QUOTE (tombolton82 - 07/02/2011 @ 18:54)

Plus after spending about 300 quid on a state of the art hd camera do you really want to use a crappy old ski pole and some duct tape......

If you spend £300 on a $299 camera then I can see that you may be wanting something more expensive to stick it on. Could you perhaps duct tape £50 notes onto the outside of a ski pole?

Collapsible ski poles (like the one in use here) are what most people use if they're going to need to put the thing away. Sorry, I thought that was a bit obvious. You can also adjust the length of the pole, although you want about 1.25/ 1.30m in my experience so if you don't need to collapse it then the none-adjustable poles are lighter.
TOP NEWQUOTEREPLY
  #14.  Posted 07/02/2011 @ 23:05  
In reply to post #13 ...
tombolton82

QUOTE (philw - 07/02/2011 @ 20:42)

If you spend £300 on a $299 camera then I can see that you may be wanting something more expensive to stick it on. Could you perhaps duct tape £50 notes onto the outside of a ski pole?

Collapsible ski poles (like the one in use here) are what most people use if they're going to need to put the thing away. Sorry, I thought that was a bit obvious. You can also adjust the length of the pole, although you want about 1.25/ 1.30m in my experience so if you don't need to collapse it then the none-adjustable poles are lighter.

with the $299 thing im, guessing your from the states?! most of the camera over here can cost between £250 and £300 especially once youve bought adecent size memory card etc. sorry i didnt do the latest search and put the exact price on. wether its $299, £300 or £50 quid i wouldnt duct tape it to anything! and i didnt consider th £13.99 i spent on my pole to be excessive in any way, i havent use ski poles for a while but im guessing that they would cost a similer amount and as you said "You can probably borrow/ rent an ols ski pole from someone" no i didnt see that as obvious at all that you were refering to a nice collapsible pole. plus is that ski pole in the video collapsible?

look mate i didnt want an arguement, my point was that i wouldnt duct tape any piece of kit regardless of cost if there is a low cost alternative which does the job well. if im spending the money on the kit that i want then ill buy the right accessories for. youre probably right about the length of a ski pole, it would give you a much better field of vision and therfore a better shot however for me i wanted something that was small, light and secure
TOP NEWQUOTEREPLY
  #15.  Posted 08/02/2011 @ 13:08  
In reply to post #14 ...
Ianastles
Monopod for 19.99 and bike handlebar mount for 12 works a treat. I shudder at the thought of people using ski poles with the spike pointing at them or where they are going!
TOP NEWQUOTEREPLY
SHOW NEWEST POSTS FIRST
NEXT
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum TOP
Latest Forum Posts TOP
Menu TOP

© 2001-2014 GONEboarding.co.uk