Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   gstanho   On:   Thursday 09/10/2008 @ 15:52 Show Newest First    
gstanho
UK - England
  #1  Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil  Posted 09/10/2008 @ 15:52
Hi,

I am hoping that some of you who regularly visit or reside in the PDS region can give me some pointers on where to head fo rsome safe off piste ski-ing while in the PDS resorts in January.

I have heard of the happy Valley and hidden valley but have no idea where they are so am interested in finding out if anyone knows where these areas are and whether they are safe or not.

If you have knowledge of any other interesting off piste spots then please point me on there direction.

If you dont want the world to find out, as I know some people are very protective of their secret stashes then PM me.

I am not looking for steep couloirs or anything that extreme, some decent tree runs, or open bowls would be great.

Many thanks
Gary
          Reload  Top
N1477
East Timor
  #2  Re: Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil  Posted 09/10/2008 @ 15:55
In reply to post #1...
there is a black run in morzine called Chammosiere I think from the top of that if you go down about a 1/8th the way down the is a massive section of beautiful off pistes running parralell with the black run which usually has a nice dump of pow.
          Reload  Top
jonny
Advertising Partner
France
  #3  Re: Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil  Posted 09/10/2008 @ 16:03
Revision #1 (Last edited: 09/10/2008 @ 16:04)
In reply to post #2...
there's some great trees on top of the super morzine. They're avalanche safe but they are pretty tightly packed so the risk from tree-wells is a bit more. To get in to them, start heading down 'tetris', cross over 'zores' and then dive off into the trees on your left. Make up your own line down through them and you'll come across a cross country ski track. Cross over that and keep going and you'll come back out on tetris taking you straight back to the chair lift to do it all again. If you search on the videos section for 'front flip in to the trees' you'll see the start of it.

That's the only one I'm giving up today

edit: be careful on chamossiere, it can be quite prone to sliding in the bowl that you've mentioned. Just use your head before going (applies to any off-piste though!)
Ride & Slide - Luxury Catered Chalets in Morzine
As recommended in 'Where to Ski & Snowboard' 2007, 2008, & 2009
Clickie here for GONEboarders reviews
          Reload  Top
polaroid
Forum Mod
Gloucestershire
  #4  Re: Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil  Posted 09/10/2008 @ 16:06
In reply to post #2...
satallite was a favorite over the winter - nothing crazy, but a really nice powder field on a good day, and super easy to get to!

head out of the Linderets bowl in Avoriaz on the Chaux Fleurie lift (towards Chatel) head left at the top and hike up (about 10 mins) to the peak in front of you. then you can drop back into Linderets and down through Goat Village and on to Ardents.

and go exploring around Chatel,(up Suoer Chatel Lift) saw loads of stuff that looked great fun over there, but never went to play there!

oh, and Happy Valley!

the PDS is massive, so you'll find some fun stuff easily enough!
          Reload  Top
Plissken
London
  #5  Re: Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil  Posted 09/10/2008 @ 16:09
In reply to post #2...
There's also some unpisted areas that are easily accessible, and safe. They run next to pistes too, so no need for lots of hiking.

They're called 'Snowcross' areas, and are marked on the trail map.

PDS Freeride
          Reload  Top
Alf0nse
Somerset
  #6  Re: Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil  Posted 09/10/2008 @ 21:08
In reply to post #5...
all over... Mont Cherry sticks out only cos we were singing mont cherry amor all the time
          Reload  Top
MrSSK
UK - England
  #7  Re: Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil  Posted 09/10/2008 @ 21:31
In reply to post #6...
Is there such a thing as safe off piste?

you can always make it safer by getting a transceiver some probes a shovel and a mate to match and it should be sweet
For godz sake weather!!! Get Colder!!
          Reload  Top
fijit
France
  #9  Re: Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil  Posted 09/10/2008 @ 22:21
In reply to post #1...
There's loads of amazing off piste in the PDS. Happy Valley and Hidden Valley are both in the Chatel/ Pre La Joux sector of the Portes Du Soleil, whether they are safe or not depends entirely on the snow conditions, your ability, the weather etc. We live in Chatel so ride that area a lot but we're not daft about when and where we go, and you shouldn't be too. If you don't know the area get a guide, not only will they be able to advise on safety but they'll take you to the best parts anyway, it's money well spent.
www.theridersocial.com
www.alpineretreat-chatel.co.uk
          Reload  Top
mrfloaty
Greater Manchester
  #10  Re: Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil  Posted 10/10/2008 @ 12:11
i can confurm what fijit with happy fally and hidden vally but its abit of mission to get there but worth every second becasue its normally got fresh traks even a day after fresh snow its got long open powder fields with a few nice cliff drops even a beginner could have fun with, and is very safe, if you want trees i always liked star wars if you go to the top of the small snowboard park and ride past the top of the park there is a small 4-5 foot drop into heaven on the right but keep to the left otherwise you could hit a small cliff but then have to walk out be there done that haha but there is loads if you look for it............

enjoy....................
          Reload  Top
gstanho
UK - England
  #11  Re: Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil  Posted 10/10/2008 @ 13:36
In reply to post #10...
So where abouts is happy and hidden valley, can you give me pointers?

Are they given those names on the piste maps?
          Reload  Top
mea00csf
West Yorkshire
  #12  Re: Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil  Posted 10/10/2008 @ 14:29
In reply to post #11...
happy valley is the area between the cornebois and les combes lifts, at the top of the pre-la-joux lift in Chatel
www.bicycletourist.weebly.com
          Reload  Top
Bods
  #13  Re: Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil  Posted 10/10/2008 @ 16:04
In reply to post #12...
Pistemap
"You're so adrift in far off places and hilly strangers you adore, that you're riding blind through eden lying right outside your door"
Pistehors.com
Meteoblue Weather Forecasting
SHredding the Jar Teaser
          Reload  Top
banditvic
  #14  Re: Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil  Posted 10/10/2008 @ 18:27
Revision #1 (Last edited: 10/10/2008 @ 18:28)
In reply to post #13...
This is me in Happy Valley this April. Loads of powder and pretty empty.
          Reload  Top
gstanho
UK - England
  #15  Re: Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil  Posted 13/10/2008 @ 09:34
In reply to post #12...
Thankyou.
          Reload  Top
gstanho
UK - England
  #16  Re: Where can I find safe off-piste in Portes Du Soleil  Posted 20/10/2008 @ 11:24
In reply to post #3...
Ooooh, how about a "Jonny's tip of the day?"
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Idea! Trip for peopele with passion
- Pennsylvania snowboarding
- Niseko, Japan - looking to organise a cheap trip for anyone interested!
- numb toes
- What is my snowboard worth?
- Japan, Furano, Feb 24th
- This week I did this to my kit!
- Est footbed
- Cartel or malavita?
- HOLY SH1T IT'S BACK!! :)
- Canada Road Trip 2019
- SWISS Air baggage allowance.
- Bourg Vs Les Arcs
- Best board for carving/ charging hard
- Package or DIY