Tech team

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   daywalker   On:   Thursday 10/12/2009 @ 10:42 Show Newest First    
daywalker
London
  #1  Tech team  Posted 10/12/2009 @ 10:42
would it be possible to have a section that gives you access to a GB "Tech Team" of a few experienced riders/fitters etc.. that have a longer experience in the sport to be able to answer questions on stuff we dont know??

it's just because most people cant comment on the "what board does this and that" kinds of questions unless they have ridden both!! and 98% of us on here will not have... but a few shop guys out in the respoirts will have, so they are qualified to be on the tech team..

its not just board questions, but boot fitting, board maintenance, boot to binding interfaces, a general life span of a product, any major "Known" fault issues with a product.... the list goes on

just htought it would be better than all the guy's (myself included) having boarded for 2 years but only ever owned one board, trying to give board advice?? and it would help stop clogging up the main pages wiht all the "what first board?" threads

cheers anyway

Andy

I do NOT fear Death - I fear not living..........er.........and small people with very large hands!

www.britishbushido.wix.com/bca-uk
          Reload  Top
inactive_16115
  #2  Re: Tech team  Posted 10/12/2009 @ 10:43
In reply to post #1...
you could always just Pm then and ask them directly
          Reload  Top
daywalker
London
  #3  Re: Tech team  Posted 10/12/2009 @ 10:51
In reply to post #2...

QUOTE (inactive_16115 - 10/12/2009 @ 10:43)

you could always just Pm then and ask them directly

but most people wont even know "who to pm" nick when they are new on here?

i mean in all seriously there are about 4 -5 or so people on here that i look out for when getting feedback on stuff, as i believe they have some knowledge about what they are saying, eihter from workning in the industry, or just having a lot of boarding experience....... and i include you in that list believe it or not...

just a few names off the top of my head that could be paert of the tech team...

Grill
Forum rider
FAtbob
tmorrow (cant rember how to spell it?)
and there are a few others on here wiht names that escape me at the moment, who work in ski/board fitting shops etc...

that the kind of thing i meant coz other wise its just a free for all of people telling you what board "THEY" ride rather than what other boards ride like..

Andy

I do NOT fear Death - I fear not living..........er.........and small people with very large hands!

Reload  Top
TerryWogan
  #4  Re: Tech team  Posted 10/12/2009 @ 11:42
In reply to post #1...
It's a good idea! But when they start disagreeing with each other then we'll all be confused, and will inevitably only be resolved with google fight
now where the hellz the other sock gone...
          Reload  Top
Loco
Surrey
  #5  Re: Tech team  Posted 10/12/2009 @ 15:34
sounds like a plan, I have loads of stuff I need to ask
Youth is wasted...well I was..
          Reload  Top
Abrakfkingdabra
Congo
  #6  Re: Tech team  Posted 10/12/2009 @ 17:22
Revision #2 (Last edited: 10/12/2009 @ 17:26)
In reply to post #5...
The problem with this is that there is a vast amount of personal preference involved - i know people who prefer soft as sh*t boards for freeriding, and i know those who love stiff ol planks for the same thing, and they both get down the mountain at the same speed.

Also there is a lot of misinformation on here, that is basically regurgitated stuff that people have read on other forums or elsewhere - Grill is about the only person on here who has it right, and even so i disagree with him on some things, mainly various brands build quality

No 2 people will have the same opinion of the same board, and long gone are the days of people putting out sh*t equipment - any major company will be putting out quality products these days - a lot of the disagreements you see on here are rooted in Brand loyalties more than anything else. I remember being in TSA in Milton Keynes 2 years ago, looking at a Nidecker Megalight whilst waiting for my session at the dome to start, when one of the assistants came up to me and said, dont bother with that, i said why? - he said because Nidecker are a lame brand - i corrected him and told him that they make some of the best boards out there, and what his or anyone elses opinion of the coolness of the kit i buy is is of no concern to me. I also told Jeremy Sladen to fire him. My point is too much snowboard kit is recommended and bought based on image, rather than being technically suitable

The most important/best advice any one can give you is that when buying a board make sure it is wide enough for your feet, long enough to take your weight, designed for the riding you do, and has graphics that put a smile on your face. Ultimately as long as the board is the right dimensions, its still 95% rider and 5% board, and what you have under you doesn't make a huge difference.

When buying boots buy the comfiest ones you try - dont worry about what they look like or what brand they are, no one is ever going to see em anyway, and they are the key to a happy day up the hill.

When buying bindings makes sure they fit your boots, fit on the board, and arent too stiff for your skill level.
more than yesterday & less than tomorrow
          Reload  Top
wildebeest
Isle of Tiree
  #7  Re: Tech team  Posted 10/12/2009 @ 18:13
In reply to post #3...

QUOTE (daywalker - 10/12/2009 @ 10:51)

but most people wont even know "who to pm" nick when they are new on here?

i mean in all seriously there are about 4 -5 or so people on here that i look out for when getting feedback on stuff, as i believe they have some knowledge about what they are saying, eihter from workning in the industry, or just having a lot of boarding experience....... and i include you in that list believe it or not...

just a few names off the top of my head that could be paert of the tech team...

Grill
Forum rider
FAtbob
tmorrow (cant rember how to spell it?)
and there are a few others on here wiht names that escape me at the moment, who work in ski/board fitting shops etc...

that the kind of thing i meant coz other wise its just a free for all of people telling you what board "THEY" ride rather than what other boards ride like..

Andy

Where's my name? I know everything about everything! Upset now.
www.neversummer.com
          Reload  Top
TerryWogan
  #8  Re: Tech team  Posted 10/12/2009 @ 19:40
In reply to post #7...
Maybe shout louder!
now where the hellz the other sock gone...
          Reload  Top
daywalker
London
  #9  Re: Tech team  Posted 10/12/2009 @ 20:21
In reply to post #7...
I had you down for the cooking stuff and photography sections mike.... Oh and the how to turn up fir GB meets and not ride...

See I was thinking of you

Andy

Reload  Top
hutchy
Canada
  #10  Re: Tech team  Posted 11/12/2009 @ 01:47
In reply to post #9...
An interesting idea although it could create an environment where new users who are just as or even more knowledgeable dont get a look in and therefore the quality of the information degrades.

In a similar vein, other forums implement "post rating" or "thanks" a simple points system to award the poster if their information was useful. The total is then shown next to the users post count enabling a reader to distinguish between users who are potentially more knowledgeable.

Again this has flaws and the best way is to use common sense when reading a post.
          Reload  Top
ChrissyD77
Gwent
  #11  Re: Tech team  Posted 11/12/2009 @ 08:15
In reply to post #10...
Perhaps we could just have a "which board" section where the new threads don't show up in the latest active threads list?

Could we also have a slider down the side on the latest active threads so that we can read the ones we fancy and then mark all as read for the rest?
I've been all over the world, Ibiza, Magaluf, Blackpool etc and Tamworth was by far the best for snowsports!! It's intense man!!! You're totally gripped when you're at the top and looking down...

Snowboard Wales Facebook Group
          Reload  Top
stuey01
  #12  Re: Tech team  Posted 11/12/2009 @ 11:09
Would there be a Tech Team secret decoder ring?
          Reload  Top
RustyTheSnowman
East Sussex
  #13  Re: Tech team  Posted 11/12/2009 @ 12:16
Revision #1 (Last edited: 11/12/2009 @ 12:16)
In reply to post #6...
I agree with what you say, very sensible! However, doesn't this comment contradict your email address?

QUOTE (Abrakfkingdabra - 10/12/2009 @ 17:22)

any major company will be putting out quality products these days - a lot of the disagreements you see on here are rooted in Brand loyalties more than anything else.

Reload  Top
cantridepete
France
  #14  Re: Tech team  Posted 11/12/2009 @ 12:57
In reply to post #13...
hahaha thats a quality email address!!
          Reload  Top
Abrakfkingdabra
Congo
  #15  Re: Tech team  Posted 11/12/2009 @ 15:07
Revision #1 (Last edited: 11/12/2009 @ 15:08)
In reply to post #13...
Ha . . indeed it does . . Havent looked at my info page since i set up my account, totally forgotten that ! - my email address is a fine example of dismissing a brand purely because i dont like it. I seem to recall i had gone through 2 sets of Cartels that season, broken heelcups mainly due to the stupid locking Flad system they used to have, which they have now thankfully binned.

Its a good example Burton - i have seen more Burton stuff warrantied then any other brand, but is that because they sell over 50% of all boards sold annually so of course you will see more broken product from them, or because the build quality isnt all that? Its all a matter of perspective and opinion.

I do think a lot of the advice about boards on here is very personalised, because anyone who has just spent 400 quid on a plank is of course going to think it is the muts nuts, and very few people in the UK get to try out kit in any quantity - i am lucky in that i spend a lot of time in Colorado where a friend owns a shop, so can ride a lot of different sticks, but like i said before there really isnt that much difference between most brands similar offerings, e.g if you rode a Malolo, Snow Mullet, and Charlie Slasher back to back down the same pow field i doubt you would notice much if any difference between them. I certainly didnt!

However advice on boots given on here, and tuning/maintenace is worthwhile listening too, particularily from the likes of Grill and others who spend their life at the coal face of these things.
more than yesterday & less than tomorrow
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- GoPro flat mounts for sale
- Jib board sizing query
- Looking for advice!
- Anyone looking for Snowboard cross training and competition
- Holiday comp
- Feeling low energy
- True Freedom 163 Board
- Epic Pass On Sale
- Package or DIY
- Best board for carving/ charging hard
- Capita Quality??
- buying first gear
- What's my next board after 12 years on a Rome Anthem?
- EasyJet £10 carriage for sports equipment.
- last minute .... les 2 alpes 16-23 March
- Last Minute Powder Trip Junkies!
- Bindings too big? Please help!
- Rear toe overhang on freeride board
- Best ladies beginner board?
- Courchevel off piste snowboard guide recommendations
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2019 GONEboarding.co.uk