Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   dewei   On:   Tuesday 16/08/2011 @ 15:18 Show Newest First    
dewei
Mauritius
  #1  Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.  Posted 16/08/2011 @ 15:18
A lot has been said about surfers and skateboarders finding it easy to learn and progress in snowboarding.

I think I am a bit old to start skateboarding and I am a bit too wary of the sea. Surfing looks so hard to me! But then, 10 years ago I never imagined that I would have enjoyed kungfu, single track mountain biking or snowboarding.

Anyhow, I am just wondering if snowboarding confers any advantage in learning surfing and skateboarding. Any one of you have done it this way round?
          Reload  Top
TTDKing
Gloucestershire
  #2  Re: Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.  Posted 17/08/2011 @ 10:01
In reply to post #1...
I struggle with surfing, mainly due to im quite heavy so popping up is quite hard and i tend to sink the board haha, that being said i've only surfed 6/7 times and am getting better each time. I understand how to surf but the actual surfing bit is quite tough if you get what i mean.
Back in the game!!!
          Reload  Top
roohunt
Leicestershire
  #3  Re: Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.  Posted 17/08/2011 @ 10:11
In reply to post #1...
Hey man,

I skated from a very early age and in my opinion it definitely helped with learning to ride, mostly due to being used to a sideways stance but also the confidence that comes from experience in a similarly risky or 'extruuuuume' activity…

The techniques for both are actually really different - No amount of skating can help with edge control on a snowboard and vice versa, being able to ride well will probably help in that you're used to your stance be it goofy or regular, and have a decent amount of balance, but skating will require a bunch of new skills that you'll have to put the hours in to obtain (don't let that put you off though, it's well worth it and so much fun).

Surfing is something I only have limited experience of, though i've found it's far more dependent on the sheer force of the ocean and your ability to adjust and adapt to that than anything else. I've never taken a beating like I did learning to surf, it kicked the sh*t out of me but again the feeling you get when you make even the smallest progression is ridonkulously awesome.

To summarise, it's all going sideways, so on an extremely basic level that will help - but the skill-set for all three is hugely different, so don't expect instant results and try and enjoy every little progression you make.

If you want to try skating, don't let age put you off. Not sure how old you are but i'm 27 and still skate at least once a week, there's even a thriving website devoted to older skaters, check out http://www.middle-age-shred.com/ - Skateparks can be really intimidating places too but believe me everyone is there to have a good time and nobody is looking down on you as a beginner.

Andy
Jump's done!
          Reload  Top
cantridepete
France
  #4  Re: Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.  Posted 17/08/2011 @ 13:21
In reply to post #3...
I surf and skate (badly it has to be said!) and they are both way harder and demand a higher level of fitness than snowboarding. They are essentially cross training though and will benefit your snowboarding.

if you can learn to drop into a wave or into a halfpipe (skate) then drops and pipes on a snowboard will seem easy by comparison
          Reload  Top
roohunt
Leicestershire
  #5  Re: Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.  Posted 17/08/2011 @ 13:26
In reply to post #4...

QUOTE (cantridepete - 17/08/2011 @ 13:21)

if you can learn to drop into a wave or into a halfpipe (skate) then drops and pipes on a snowboard will seem easy by comparison

Dude, skating vert for 10 years certainly didn't make me any less terrified of an icey superpipe!

Definitely agree that they both demand a considerably higher level of fitness though
Jump's done!
          Reload  Top
cantridepete
France
  #6  Re: Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.  Posted 18/08/2011 @ 12:05
In reply to post #5...

QUOTE (roohunt - 17/08/2011 @ 13:26)

Dude, skating vert for 10 years certainly didn't make me any less terrified of an icey superpipe!

Definitely agree that they both demand a considerably higher level of fitness though

yeah, thats a discussion i've had before. personally I find dropping in a pipe a piece of piss compared to dropping in a vert ramp. Other people (like yourself!) are the other way around.

as for fitness...you dont see many fat surfers or skaters
          Reload  Top
dewei
Mauritius
  #7  Re: Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.  Posted 18/08/2011 @ 13:25
Revision #2 (Last edited: 18/08/2011 @ 13:28)
Thanks all of you for your thoughts.

Next year, I am moving back to Mauritius where I was born and brought up! Although over the years I have enjoyed the beaches and swimming in the lagoons, I haven't really done any watersports! I'm much more familiar with skis and now the snowboard. I am really going to miss the snow. After this coming winter, there will only be the very occasional trip to ski resorts.

I am on the wrong side of 40. I see taking up surfing will be tough! Well not as tough and dangerous as kitesurfing... I was surprised to find out that Mauritius has one of the best spots for kitesurfing (Mauritius coasts are mostly fringed by reefs and therefore there are few big waves spots)
http://www.skyhooked.co.uk/2010/06/spot-guide-one-eye-and-le-morne-mauritius-worlds-best-freeriding-spot/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXCiqLesPBI

Maybe, I'll try windsurfing or even golf!
          Reload  Top
cantridepete
France
  #8  Re: Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.  Posted 18/08/2011 @ 14:48
In reply to post #7...
kitesurfing is wicked, i've only ever dabbled with it doing a couple of day courses in wales but its sooo much fun!!!

dont think you cant take up surfing though, get a mini mal and go paddle, its great for fitness great fun and best of all...cheap
          Reload  Top
philw
UK - England
  #9  Re: Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.  Posted 18/08/2011 @ 15:16
In reply to post #1...
I don't skateboard but surfing, wakeboarding and windsurfing plus some kiting are on my list.

For surfing specifically, I think there is a fair cross-over, and lots of people do both well. That said, those who are top of the game in one are generally not quite that good at the other. My experience is that it's more your general athletic ability/ approach to learning which matters, not which specific board sports you may have done. Wakeboarding may be the exception that proves the rule: it's very similar to snowboarding in my experience.

Windsurfing took me a long time to become expert at; surfing I'm not yet there... I don't think either is particularly "harder" than snowboarding, it's just that you need to put in the hours to get them down, and I've a few more to do on surfing yet. For surfing specifically, I don't myself find fitness particularly an issue... it's ability to read the ocean. Perhaps I'm assuming good general fitness and swimming ability. One thing which happens with surfing is that beginner boards are designed to be easy to get up on... but they're like logs. The first time I got up on a big foam longboard I was running about on it and carving it as hard as I could. That's where other boarding experience plays.
          Reload  Top
cantridepete
France
  #10  Re: Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.  Posted 18/08/2011 @ 15:32
In reply to post #9...
last november we paddled outback at woolacombe (that took about 15 minutes) and then found ourselves being blown of shore, we then spent an hour paddling to get back in.

i've run half marathons and that was hands down the most difficult thing i've ever done. Surfing is hard goddam work

just paddling out through a half decent set takes a level of fitness that IMO most people dont have
          Reload  Top
russ295
Forum Mod
Tyne & Wear
  #11  Re: Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.  Posted 18/08/2011 @ 17:03
I first surfed in about 92 and continued regular till about 8 years ago. It's way harder than snowboarding. Most of it was in the north east of England and it's freezing in the summer never mind winter. As mentioned, even paddling out through a decent set is something that takes lots of practice and fitness.
As a cross over between them, it's similar but different, if that makes any sense! Snowboarding, you can generally decide where your going and how fast, but surfing your at the waves mercy and have to keep up or fall. There's no stopping to take in the scenery.
Russ
          Reload  Top
naturalfreeride
Advertising Partner
Oxfordshire
  #12  Re: Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.  Posted 19/08/2011 @ 14:14
Revision #1 (Last edited: 19/08/2011 @ 14:14)
In reply to post #10...

QUOTE (cantridepete - 18/08/2011 @ 15:32)

i've run half marathons and that was hands down the most difficult thing i've ever done. Surfing is hard goddam work

just paddling out through a half decent set takes a level of fitness that IMO most people dont have

more specifically upper body strength/stamina.
I do a fair few of the cross over sports mentioned (not expertly by any stretch) and as has been said the general board riding practise is a good thing. As Philw mentioned the main difference with surfing well is reading the wave. However if you are learning to surf, as with most sports you are very inefficient in actions, but with this all the effort is through your arms and shoulders which is just not normal for the majority of us.
          Reload  Top
hutchy
Canada
  #13  Re: Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.  Posted 19/08/2011 @ 20:28
In reply to post #12...
I think the basis of all these replies is this "If you think you're too old, you're too old. If you think it's too hard, it's too hard." There certainly is a difference in the attitude surfers or wakeboarders take to snowboarding and vice versa.
          Reload  Top
naturalfreeride
Advertising Partner
Oxfordshire
  #14  Re: Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.  Posted 20/08/2011 @ 18:27
In reply to post #7...

QUOTE (dewei - 18/08/2011 @ 13:25)

I am on the wrong side of 40. I see taking up surfing will be tough! Well not as tough and dangerous as kitesurfing...

Only just noticed this comment from earlier.

Kitesurfing and surfing are generally only dangerous if you push too far or get a bit gung-ho without knowing what you are doing. What's tough to learn is different for everyone, but don't make the mistake of thinking kitesurfing is really physical. It's mostly about kite control. And if you are going to have shallow flatwater lagoons to ride on everyday it will be awesome !!! If you really don't fancy it windsurfing is also pretty good fun.
          Reload  Top
docfunk
Tyne & Wear
  #15  Re: Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.  Posted 22/08/2011 @ 12:53
I surfed for 20 years before snowboarding and I felt it helped loads, I seemed to progress really quickly, but now I need months not weeks away now to progress more
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- JAPAN 2018 - ABS bags vs Jetforce, electric vs gas avi bags?/?
- Burton Restricted Whammy Bar Marley Snowboard
- Petite/Short womens trousers
- how can I take care of my snowboard?
- Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.
- Jones Flagship vs Hovercraft/Ultracraft
- Snow mates gathering for 2018 trips, Expanding the network with winter sports!
- **Please help** Start-up mountain business needs your views!!
- Injuries
- Japan 2018 Help
- Park Footy 16-17
- Ski-Doo
- Chile trip.
- Thirtytwo TM3 boots
- Powder Powder
- Special Holiday Offers for GBers - Regularly updated
- Passion Forge - Rent and stay with those who share your passion
- Reaching out to the snowboarding bloggers community
- Les Deux Alpes/L2A. Summer riding 2017? Park riding - worth it?
- Need new snowboarding friends
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2017 GONEboarding.co.uk