strangers week away, march.

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   bong69uk   On:   Thursday 21/02/2013 @ 23:21 Show Newest First    
bong69uk
Midlothian
  #1  The strangers group week away, mid-march.  Posted 21/02/2013 @ 23:21
Revision #1 (Last edited: 22/02/2013 @ 08:17)
Alright folks, so a few threads on here are talking about the same thing, trying to get a group together for a trip in mid march and also there are chats going on in pms. So I thought I would put this thread out there so we can all chat about it here and others can view it too so if they fancy it they can chat/join too.
So far there are about 5 of us looking to go, mixed abilities ranging from beginnerish up to competent intermediate/advanced .
Ages wise I think its 20's up to 30 , and location wise im not sure (but thats not an ussue really because we will be able to make our own way out) , so far its just guys I think, but girls are more than welcome too.
As for destination I've put out there either valmeinier or tignes. (Valmeinier being my first pick, I've heard good things about it and its cheap to get to and cheaper in the resort than usual french efforts) .
Someone else has suggested Bulgaria as they had been to borrovets before and are keen to go somewhere cheap again (which fits in for valmeinier btw).
Anyways, let the chat flow and here's hoping we can get something organised? I
It would be sweet to get a good group together, that way all abilities will be covered giving everyone a riding buddy and it will make for good nights in the pubs/digs.

Mark
quick, go for it now...before your brain catches up with your balls!!
          Reload  Top
bong69uk
Midlothian
  #2  Re: strangers week away, march.  Posted 21/02/2013 @ 23:50
In reply to post #1...
And regarding any info on valmeinier, here is a copy and paste from jordon of ski ici on here. The guy has been super helpful and I would gladly book it through these guys..

" Valmeinier is great! I spent 2 seasons there, hence why it is our flagship resort. I simply love the place.
For a resort of its size, it punches well above it's weight in terms of night life and apres ski. My friend, with whom I did a season there, opened a bar called Aux Lutins Vert and it has been packed every night since. He regularly gets well known DJ's from Paris/Lyon in for sets, too. There are plenty of bars to have fun in and the best thing is they are all reasonable. You won't be paying the sort of prices found in the three valleys for example. The same can be said for the restaurants, too. Decent food for decent prices.

The town has a nice friendly atmosphere about it and all the locals are welcoming. You'll save money here and have a good time whilst doing so.If you check the Ski Ici Facebook page (www.facebook.com/skiici), on the right are some recent reviews and comments. The most recent ones from Emily and Shane are in response to 2 separate trips I provided them with to Valmeinier.

In terms of riding, you are spoilt for choice. If I can find new powder lines, week in week out, during a season, then you will have more than enough riding on your plate for a week. And the park in Valloire is huge, a great place to hone your skills.The lift pass provided is an area pass as standard too, so you get to board both Valmenier and Valloire.It is definitely worth visiting.
you get some across the forums with negative reviews, because it's not as big as Val D'Isere, for example. But for boarders, it is more to do with the quality of the riding and not so much the quantity. Go for it!"

So worth a thought I say.

Mark.
          Reload  Top
Lester
  #3  Re: strangers week away, march.  Posted 22/02/2013 @ 07:01
In reply to post #2...
Well worth a thought - any idea on costs as to lift passes, snow school (for those who want it) food, drink, etc?
          Reload  Top
bong69uk
Midlothian
  #4  Re: strangers week away, march.  Posted 22/02/2013 @ 07:52
Revision #1 (Last edited: 22/02/2013 @ 07:57)
In reply to post #3...
Well when I priced it up last week for my mates (who have now pulled out obv) it was costing this...
Accom with lift pass £230-260
Flights from Edinburgh £180 (including suitcase and board carriage) obviously Edinburgh wont suit some/most, but it gives you an idea for price.
Transfers £40

So that totaled at 450-480 pp, but if you were hiring over there you would be saving on board carriage which was 50.
Regards to board hire and snow school contact jordon from ski ici (user name on here is skiici) and he can let you know their packages, but I reckon it would come in at around the same price as your 600 estimate from bulgaria.
Obv im not needing snowschool or hire so my final cost is just the 450 and it will be cheaper with a bigger group. We can get a huge 8man apt or even a 6man one.
          Reload  Top
bong69uk
Midlothian
  #5  Re: strangers week away, march.  Posted 22/02/2013 @ 07:54
Revision #1 (Last edited: 22/02/2013 @ 07:55)
In reply to post #4...
For ideas on the resort if you just put in valmeinier into YouTube you get lots of vids, it looks pretty sweet if you ask me. Way bigger area to ride than bansko too (150km of pistes alone compared to banskos 36km).

And as far as dates go I was thinking the week of 16-23rd?
          Reload  Top
ScottNZ
London
  #6  Re: strangers week away, march.  Posted 22/02/2013 @ 12:47
In reply to post #5...
Those dates work for me and valmeinier looks pretty sweet. Anyone know how much food/drinks cost there?
          Reload  Top
bong69uk
Midlothian
  #7  Re: strangers week away, march.  Posted 22/02/2013 @ 13:20
In reply to post #6...
59c
          Reload  Top
Clarkson64
Devon
  #8  Re: strangers week away, march.  Posted 22/02/2013 @ 19:08
Revision #1 (Last edited: 22/02/2013 @ 19:16)
In reply to post #7...
yeah me (boarder) and maybe two skiers might be interested, though ill be honest i am also in contact with another comp so im nothing certain yet. But it sounds good. ill be in contact asap. Are we going through ICI? cause they do offer hellish deals, and do ICI still go joint with the ski bus does anyone know?

Oh and the later in march would be better for us
Todd Richards=King
P3 pipes parks and powder-best book ever
Tom Sims thanks.
          Reload  Top
smiley79
Cleveland
  #9  Re: strangers week away, march.  Posted 22/02/2013 @ 19:23
In reply to post #3...
Been looking at a few of the resorts and I got the following prices off the Crystal Ski website.

Bulgaria is approx 90p for a small beer and £4 bottle of house wine.
Tignes is approx £3 fpr a small beer and £11 bottle of house wine.

Not sure about valmeinier.
All or Nothing
          Reload  Top
Clarkson64
Devon
  #10  Re: strangers week away, march.  Posted 22/02/2013 @ 19:39
In reply to post #8...
I would prefer valmeiner or the three valleys tbh, not as expensive as everyone things was there a couple weeks ago, just got to look around, but im pritty easy and i would go with what everyone else is. and has anyone looked at slovakia maybe?
Todd Richards=King
P3 pipes parks and powder-best book ever
Tom Sims thanks.
          Reload  Top
smiley79
Cleveland
  #11  Re: strangers week away, march.  Posted 22/02/2013 @ 20:13
In reply to post #10...
Been looking at a few of more resorts and I got the following prices: -

Bulgaria is approx 90p for a small beer(half) and £4 bottle of house wine. 3 Course meal around £11, Pizza from £4.50.

Tignes is approx £3 fpr a small beer (half) and £11 bottle of house wine. 3 Course meal around £25, Pizza from £13.

Valmeiniers approx £1.75 for a small beer (half) and £8.50 bottle of house wine. 3 Course meal around £11, Pizza from £4.50.

Slovenia £1.30 for a small beer (half) and £6.90 bottle of house wine. 3 Course meal Pizza around same as Bulgaria.

Slovakia £1 for a pint of beer and £4 bottle of house wine. 3 Course meal around £10, Pizza from £4.

Where exactly does everyone fancy? Based on the prices above I'm definitely edging towards Bulgaria, France does seem expensive, especially in Tignes (maybe £5 or £6 a pint and £25 meal). Soon going to add up over 7 days i'm thinking.

Whats everyone elses opinions?
All or Nothing
          Reload  Top
bong69uk
Midlothian
  #12  Re: strangers week away, march.  Posted 22/02/2013 @ 22:33
In reply to post #11...
Slovakia was my first choice, was there a few years ago and it was amazing, the off piste is things of dreams! I would go back in a heartbeat, but the flight route from Edinburgh doesnt start till very end of march and im not wanting to wait that long, nor do I want to travel to liverpool for a flight sooner.
My thoughts are on valmeinier, seems a good comprimise with still all the boxes ticked. And as for keeping nights cheaper we can pick up a few crates of lager to have in the room before heading out later at night, makes it nice and cheap.
          Reload  Top
bong69uk
Midlothian
  #13  Re: strangers week away, march.  Posted 22/02/2013 @ 22:35
In reply to post #12...
I tell you what, if you can all be swayed towards valmeinier I will provide a crate of lager each night for in the room
          Reload  Top
smiley79
Cleveland
  #14  Re: strangers week away, march.  Posted 22/02/2013 @ 23:28
In reply to post #13...
Haha, bribery...

Still not sure yet. Not sure about paying £5 pint as over the week that's gonna easily cost £100 more than somewhere like say Bulgaria, Slovakia or Slovenia.

Valmeinier does look good though.

Liking the look of both borovets and bansko too...
All or Nothing
          Reload  Top
bong69uk
Midlothian
  #15  Re: strangers week away, march.  Posted 23/02/2013 @ 05:43
In reply to post #14...
£5 pint? Your maths aint so good, I was taught that 1.75 x2 = 3.5 ;-).
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
  Featured Websites
  TheSnowboardAsylum : The Snowboard Asylum – The UK’s largest range of snowboard hardware and outerwear, from brands including Burton, YES, Bataleon, Jones, Slash and loads more.
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- The Ramp Project - Sponsored by Snowflex.
- What length snowboard for me? Short and fat!
- Helmet or not?
- Motivational video
- Newbie Learning
- Help choosing equipment
- Anyone from Plymouth on here
- Knee Support
- Snowboard songs
- What do boarders want in a jacket?
- Special Holiday Offers for GBers - Regularly updated
- Bigger park at Hemel for 1 day freestyle camp with Onyx Snowboarding
- Forum boots have no grip!
- looking for boarding mates (scotland)