Snowskool or Peak Leaders....

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   geodave   On:   Sunday 06/02/2011 @ 13:30 Show Newest First    
geodave
West Yorkshire
  #1  Snowskool or Peak Leaders....  Posted 06/02/2011 @ 13:30
Hello one and all,

I'm after some advice, I'm planning on doing a 12 week course to go all the way through to level 2 snowboard instructor in New Zealand this summer.

I've narrowed it down to either Snowskool or Peak Leaders to go with, has anyone been with either, any reconmendations?

Thanks

Dave
          Reload  Top
Transition-Snow
New Zealand
  #2  Re: Snowskool or Peak Leaders....  Posted 07/02/2011 @ 18:42
In reply to post #1...
Have you thought about going through Transition-Snowsports?? Based out of Wanaka, New Zealand and Cardrona Alpine Resort, Transition Snowsports Instructor Training provides the ultimate ski and snowboard instructor and coach courses ideal for those in search of something a little different.

With 5, 10 and 12 week instructor training programmes, we have the range of course options to suit your needs. Internationally recognized NZSIA/SBINZ Level One & Two ski & snowboard qualification. NZ Coaching Level One qualification and kids accreditation.

Heli-skiing is INCLUDED in our 10 and 12 week courses.
This is an unforgettable free-ride experience. The terrain of the world renowned Southern Alps make for an epic day of deep powder lines and spectacular views.

Freestyle aspirations? All of our courses have the additional option of a freestyle-specific coaching day, at the renowned Snow Park NZ. Improve your park and pipe riding, as well as teaching in the park.

We also offer a 5 day NZ Coaching Level One qualification for freeski coaching. You will be coached by New Zealand’s top National Team Freestlye coaches. This qualification will give an advantage in securing a job over other certified instructors.

Transition-Snowsports have the best and most experienced trainers in New Zealand and they will also be your examiners. Riding and training at Cardrona Alpine Resort will give you a home advantage as that is where the exams will be.

Come to Wanaka New Zealand and progress through your next Transition!
Check out our impressive website www.transition-snowsports.com and follow us on FB for updates http://www.facebook.com/pages/Transition-Snowsports/156390747738696 and click "like" or alternatively email adam@transition-snowsports.com to sign up!!
Come to Wanaka New Zealand and progress through your next Transition! Check out our impressive website www.transition-snowsports.com and follow us on FB Transition-Snowsports and click "like". Alternatively email adam@transition-snowsports.com to sign up!
          Reload  Top
John-Jo
New Zealand
  #3  Re: Snowskool or Peak Leaders....  Posted 16/05/2011 @ 09:55
In reply to post #1...
I have not undertake training with either of those companies, how ever I did get my Level 2 Sbinz cert through Rookie Academy, also based in Wanaka- but ran out of Treble Cone. Awesome mountain. Killer terrain. Highly qualified, experienced trainers from all alliances. Rather than teaching you to pass an exam, they show you how to be the best instructor / rider you can ( which will allow you to succeed at exams)

rookies at TC
www.rideclass.com
          Reload  Top
Welchy12
UK - England
  #4  Re: Snowskool or Peak Leaders....  Posted 25/05/2011 @ 12:28
In reply to post #1...
Hey,

Done a course with SnowSkool and if im completely honest I wouldn't use them again. Not sure about peak leaders, don't know much about them. Good luck, its a great way to spend the season!
Welchy
          Reload  Top
tomw_n
France
  #5  Re: Snowskool or Peak Leaders....  Posted 25/05/2011 @ 14:20
In reply to post #4...
Did mine in Canada with Powder-Trip and they went under a few years later leaving a bunch of people in the lurch in resort; they had to pay for a ton of stuff that had been 'prebooked' by the company who then went under.

I'd go with the more established outfit if I was to go again, or at least the one that's ABTA/ATOL registered if that's the case.
          Reload  Top
John-Jo
New Zealand
  #6  Re: Snowskool or Peak Leaders....  Posted 25/05/2011 @ 15:43
In reply to post #5...
Shame to hear about people being left like that, shame.

Rookie Academy has been running since 1992 and still going strong. Places are still available for their courses this year folks! I'm heading out there next week to get set up for the season.

Check out videos to see some of the student on course with rookies last year.

Cheers
www.rideclass.com
          Reload  Top
Snow Monkey
UK - England
  #7  Re: Snowskool or Peak Leaders....  Posted 30/05/2011 @ 15:13
In reply to post #1...
Hey Dave,

I went on the Peak Leaders course and had a fantastic time I'd recommend Peak Leaders and here's why:

1) They've been doing the whole instructor training thing for years and are well established in Queenstown.

2) All of the snowboard training is done by a trainer called Karl Dunham.....Karl is an absolute legend with a great success rate.....he's also a great freestyle snowboarder who will get your freestyle snowboarding way better as well as making you pass the exams. He got me doing loads of tricks I never thought I'd even try.

3) You'll get to ride both Coronet Peak and The Remarkables; although the terrain in TC is some of the best in NZ when it snows Coronet is a lot of fun and the Remarks has a great park that stays good late into the season.

4) Queenstown is an awesome party town........and Peak Leaders normally organise a fair few good nights on the town with cheap drinks.

5) The course leader last year was a guy called Tom; I think he's doing it again this year. Tom's a highly qualified snowboard instructor and good rider who will no doubt help you with your riding and training. Too often these courses are run by skiers who couldn't care less about snowboarding.

6) The hotel we stayed in has a really great atmosphere.....the staff and owners are lovely, the food portions are huge and there's a bowling alley. Although it's a little way out of town lifts into town are free and it stops you from going drinking every night......which is very easy to do in QT.

7) I'm not sure about Snowskool but we went on quite a few trips during the 10 weeks:
- Cardrona for the Burton NZ Open Pipe Finals
- Heli Skiing/Snowboarding
- Bungee Jumping

I'm sure Snowskool is rad too but I'm just going on my experiences.....and in all honesty I couldn't have been happier with my choice.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Joe
          Reload  Top
mcgrathjorge
  #8  Re: Snowskool or Peak Leaders....  Posted 31/05/2011 @ 04:17
In reply to post #7...
Great Report. Never been here before and after reading your post I might consider boarding here next season and might as well try Heli Skiing/Snowboarding.
          Reload  Top
John-Jo
New Zealand
  #9  Re: Snowskool or Peak Leaders....  Posted 13/09/2011 @ 14:13
In reply to post #8...
Hey Snowskool is now run out of TC, check out this video to see why!

here
www.rideclass.com
          Reload  Top
ampedsnowsports
West Midlands
  #12  Re: Snowskool or Peak Leaders....  Posted 05/05/2017 @ 19:16
In reply to post #1...
You can also go through Amped Snow Sports. https://www.ampedsnowsports.com/
Amped Snow Sports
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- a cheap holiday
- Snowboard lessons in Val Thoren
- First snowboard boots. Huge feet. What's available?
- flow step in bindings in powder
- JAPAN 2018 - ABS bags vs Jetforce, electric vs gas avi bags?/?
- Ultra lightweight anorak/shells
- Discount codes - anyone help a brother out???? Snow and rock would be awesome?
- 'Vintage' copies of Whitelines + Snowboard UK magezine: want them?
- CAPITA KAZU pro snowboard, opinions/reviews? for japan 18
- Mayrhofen March 2018
- Japan 2018 Help
- how can I take care of my snowboard?
- Burton Restricted Whammy Bar Marley Snowboard
- Petite/Short womens trousers
- Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.
- Jones Flagship vs Hovercraft/Ultracraft
- Snow mates gathering for 2018 trips, Expanding the network with winter sports!
- **Please help** Start-up mountain business needs your views!!
- Injuries
- Park Footy 16-17
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2017 GONEboarding.co.uk