Snowboarding is Scotland

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   Shocka   On:   Friday 18/01/2019 @ 14:58 Show Newest First    
Shocka
UK - England
  #1  Snowboarding in Scotland  Posted 18/01/2019 @ 14:58
Revision #2 (Last edited: 18/01/2019 @ 14:59)
Hi all,

I’m just after some generally-specific advice....: -

I want to go snowboarding in Scotland in January/February (or later if it’s suitable weather wise), just wondering if the reports of snow this year are any good?

I have downloaded two apps called Skiresort.info and OnTheSnow to watch the snow forecasts. But as a beginner I have no frame of reference, for example, the Lecht has 12cm of snow fall forecasted for Monday 21st January but sunny days prior to that. I guess “snowline” of 0metres indicates the white stuff across the whole mountain...

Anyway I would like to know if it’s a decent season so far/decent season expected so I can try and plan a week or so in advance of going - plus I want to try and surprise my girlfriend...

Cheers
          Reload  Top
Sioned
Avon
  #2  Splitboarding Buddies???  Posted 02/02/2019 @ 18:00
Hi, Is anyone keen for some splitboarding touring? My husband ski tours but splitboarding is better!

I'm v experienced. Cut my teeth on my splitboard touring in the Mammoth area in the US and will be in Niseko, Japan this year from Feb 9th to March 4th.
Snowboarder/Splitboarder/Skier
          Reload  Top
oldgit
Hampshire
  #3  Re: Snowboarding in Scotland  Posted 06/02/2019 @ 10:31
In reply to post #1...
Snow in Scotland can melt as quickly as it can fall so there isn’t really the concept of a ‘good season’. The very tops will normally stay covered but runs down the mountain will suffer in warmer weather. Sometimes it does stay cold for a while and often, for a few days, there is too much snow to open the runs. Don’t expect the Alps - runs are short and can be wet at the bottom but on a good day it’s a great experience. The slopes are very customer focussed too.

Weather forecasts are only accurate for around 5 days ahead so no-one knows what the true outlook will be any further ahead.

As Scotland is so variable there tends to be a mass of people heading to the slopes at the first hint of snow. You cannot book a holiday a few weeks ahead and expect guaranteed good conditions so it’s really a matter of deciding a few days before or going up and hoping.

Cairngorm -here has a brilliantly informative website - probably one of the best of any resort world-wide. Take a look a the webcams and read up on the conditions and see how they change over cold and warmer weather. As of today it all looks reasonably good.
          Reload  Top
oldgit
Hampshire
  #4  Re: Snowboarding in Scotland  Posted 06/02/2019 @ 10:33
In reply to post #1...
Wrong link apologies - Cairngormmountain.CO.UK
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Jib board sizing query
- Looking for advice!
- Anyone looking for Snowboard cross training and competition
- Holiday comp
- Feeling low energy
- True Freedom 163 Board
- Epic Pass On Sale
- Package or DIY
- Best board for carving/ charging hard
- Capita Quality??
- buying first gear
- What's my next board after 12 years on a Rome Anthem?
- EasyJet £10 carriage for sports equipment.
- last minute .... les 2 alpes 16-23 March
- Last Minute Powder Trip Junkies!
- Bindings too big? Please help!
- Rear toe overhang on freeride board
- Best ladies beginner board?
- Courchevel off piste snowboard guide recommendations
- Tignes. Help!!
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2019 GONEboarding.co.uk