Snow chains

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   pwheeldon   On:   Thursday 23/11/2017 @ 17:39 Show Newest First    
pwheeldon
  #2  Snow chains  Posted 23/11/2017 @ 17:39
Hi,

I am planning on driving over to Chamonix on 17th February and wanted some advice in terms of snow chains. i will have a full set of winter tyres fitted before we go and I was thinking that 1 pair of chains would be enough, but wanted to get some opinions. I will be driving a Mercedes vito rear wheel drive.

I have driven on the continent a few times and not too concerned about general driving in France, but if anyone has advice it’d be much appreciated.
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #3  Re: Snow chains  Posted 23/11/2017 @ 22:29
In reply to post #2...
I've personally never fitted chains to snow tyres, only to standard tyres.... done it enough times with a few different designs.

Unless you are particularly unlucky, I would have thought snow tyres would see you through on the major roads around Cham. It's not like you are heading to a minor backwater at the end of some unknown valley.

In any case, roadside services + supermarkets will be well stocked at this time of year (and all season) with snow chains of all sizes for all cars - so if you do find yourself in need, they are easy enough to get hold of out there.
For Sale:
- HangTime Snowboard Wall Mounts in black or white colours. £25 including UK postage. Just send me a message, or see the classifieds section!
- Giro Basis Goggles (White frame, black strap, gold flowers design, gold / amber lens) £75. See the classifieds section for photos!
          Reload  Top
philw
UK - England
  #4  Re: Snow chains  Posted 24/11/2017 @ 08:06
In reply to post #3...
What he said, although my experience of mostly North America. It depends what the rules are of course, so check those. In BC if you have the right symbol on your tyres you're legal, and I've had no problems using those tyres on 2wd front wheel drive junk hire cars in multiple seasons of serious snowfall.

I wonder about chains when driving in the Alps, although my own car won't take them. But then mostly when I'm in the Alps the roads are completely clear, and "waiting for the plough" would not be the end of the world..
powder mountain   photography    CoC   work   Facts about snowboarding safety
          Reload  Top
tombolton82
France
  #5  Re: Snow chains  Posted 26/11/2017 @ 19:17
In reply to post #2...
You would probably be fine with winter tyres but I would definitely recommend getting some chains. We have good winter tyres on all of our vehicles but still have to use chains from time to time. They don’t need to be anything too fancy but try and get some that self tighten so you don’t have to stop after 100m.

It doesn’t happen often but on will happen a few times through the season, the gendarmes will stop people who have winter tyres on and tell them to put chains on, esp if they aren’t local vehicles.

Chances are you’ll be fine but last thing you want is to be stuck somewhere
www.3valleyvans.com Airport transfers to the 3 Valleys from Geneva, Lyon, Grenoble and Chambery. 10% discount for forum members enter GB10
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Average boarder looking for snow friends to go boaring with in early 2018 in Europe
- A month of adventure
- Zakopane 20.12.18 to 28.12.18
- St Anton 25th feb catered chalet 7 nights
- Boarding Buddy
- Snowbombing 2018? Anyone going alone?
- Board Size??? Help
- Mounting Bindings
- Burton step on photon boot uk 7.5 swap for uk 8.
- Meribel 24/01/18
- LES 2 ALPS 16-25 DEC 2017 FRANCE SNOWBOARDING BUDDIES WANTED ASAP
- 207 lbs, 6,2 feet - Snowboard size?
- Jacket Help!
- WANTED: SALOMON CUSTOM PROPHET HELMET MEDIUM
- Snowboard Proposal
- flow step in bindings in powder
- 6 year old newbie
- Are my boots ok for me ?
- Beginner Snowboard
- Scotland 2017/2018
Get our Newsletter