Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   snowmike   On:   Tuesday 10/02/2009 @ 19:23 Show Newest First    
snowmike
  #1  Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?  Posted 10/02/2009 @ 19:23
OK, Please bear with me as I'm new to all this crossing over from the skiing world..

I've found an outlet that sell cheap snowboards, and I mean cheap. They do packages where you get the board, bindings, boots etc. all in for less than £200. Now I've seen the boots which of course didn't look too great when compared with the main brands but they weren't too bad.

But what about the boards? The catalogue blurb reckons they're made in a massive Austrain factory by a company called Pale and it suggests that most brands other than Burton are made there. SO does anyone know any more about Pale snowboards or maybe even had a go on one? I accept that you get what you pay for but looking at some of the glossy magazines and catalogues, I can't help but wonder how much of the price goes towards those glossy catalogues, rider sponsorships, R&D (free snow holidays for the bosses) and advertising etc...
          Reload  Top
raymorgan901
Gwent
  #2  Re: Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?  Posted 10/02/2009 @ 20:25
In reply to post #1...
I know nothing about them but have a look here Pale
          Reload  Top
snowmike
  #3  Re: Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?  Posted 11/02/2009 @ 21:56
In reply to post #2...
Anyone used one then????
          Reload  Top
tekilla
Somerset
  #4  Re: Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?  Posted 11/02/2009 @ 23:14
In reply to post #1...
Only factory in Austria I know of that presses for Burton is Elan. Pale have something to do with them possibly ?
          Reload  Top
_chip_board
Canada
  #5  Re: Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?  Posted 12/02/2009 @ 06:57
In reply to post #4...
B,B & B for less than £200 = crap quality and not worth bothering with.. Think of cheap snowboard gear like you would a cheap car, bike, etc, etc.. It'll do the job but won't give you much pleasure and won't last very long before things start breaking..

You don't even know if the boots will suit your feet either so, unless you can go try them on, forget the 'deal' and go buy some boots with the £200, keep the change and add it to your board & bindings fund...
I board therefore I am..

Piste-artiste and CASI L2 instructor
          Reload  Top
snowmike
  #6  Re: Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?  Posted 12/02/2009 @ 08:40
In reply to post #5...
From reading some of their marketing stuff, they claim that Keil sport near Zel-am-See make most of Burton's boards, and then most of the other companies boards are made by Pale.
It also goes onto say how most bindings are made in the fare east which is why they all look the same and have many of the same components on.

So back to my original questions, has anyone actually tried one in order to say they're crap or otherwise???? I just seem to have this notion in my head that about 50% of major manufactureres board prices go towards company directors BMW's and expenses accounts and the sponsored riders apres ski account! I might be wrong and probably am, but the price of boards seem a bit daft...
          Reload  Top
inactive_16115
  #7  Re: Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?  Posted 12/02/2009 @ 09:16
Revision #1 (Last edited: 12/02/2009 @ 09:18)
In reply to post #6...
This type of questions come up all the time about these cheap only sold on the internet brands, and the answer is always the same. No one one will have ridden one, and that in itself will tell you something. People often come on here and mentions these cheapo brands and get annoyed when they are warned away from them. But when it comes down to it its your choice, you pay for what you get if you wish to take a chance and buy one despite that no one knows a thing about them, that they dont sell in any shop or mention them in any magazines or reviews and that all you are doing is basically falling for their own marketing speak and believing stuff from their website that thats your parogative.

Why is the price of a board a bit daft? Quite allot of technology goes into them ya know,tThats the going rate all over the world, you pay for what you get, if you think they are too expensive and want a cheaper alternative then you're in the wrong sport dude
          Reload  Top
snowmike
  #8  Re: Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?  Posted 12/02/2009 @ 09:38
In reply to post #7...
OK, I know I sound like a tight ar$e but I was just wondering is all..
As I said, I'm new to this side of the sport, I've skied for years so am well use to the price of quality equipment and fully appreciate the amount of research that goes into making them the best they can be for the price.

But after doing a bit of looking around at snowboarding tackle, I just wondered if anybody had ridden one of these cheap crap boards, surely they must have sold a few or they wouldn't be in business?! The reason I'm so interested is because a friend recently bought some ski boots from the same place that are not one of the major well known brands in the UK, so considerably cheaper. (like half the price!)
Despie this apparently "cheapo" facade, they are VERY well made, comfy and seem to be packed with all the same technology as the "usual suspects". My friend is over the moon with them. This has set me thinking that maybe the same goes for snowboard gear in the UK where we tend to buy a lot based on glossy magazine photos / write ups instead of paying attention to what the folks in snowy countries use!
Lets face it, if you were a magazine editor and the major companies paid for your week in Whistler for you and your colleagues / mates to "test" all their gear, you'd give it a good write up wouldn't you?!
          Reload  Top
inactive_16115
  #9  Re: Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?  Posted 12/02/2009 @ 09:50
Revision #1 (Last edited: 12/02/2009 @ 09:52)
In reply to post #8...
There is nothing wrong with buying brands that arent well known in the uk, TK Maxx sell a few French outwear brands that are just as well made as they big well known companies. Difference here is that the brand you are talking about i have never seen in any European magazines or in any European shops either. They may be ok they may not, problem is that you wont know until you spent your hard earned cash. You may end up with a winner you may end up with a Turkey. I have never in all my years seen anyone riding a pale board and no one on here seems to know a thing about them, that in itself has to be a big signifier?
Of course allot of cash goes on marketing but this is a business after all. if you want to buy from a smaller brand that aren't into big corporate worldwide stuff then look at brand Like Dinosaurs Will Die, they are rider owned and independent. If of course all you want is a cheap board then look at the ads on here or on ebay and buy something that you can read reviews about second hand. At least that way you can be sure of what you are getting
          Reload  Top
Rich1979
Nottinghamshire
  #10  Re: Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?  Posted 12/02/2009 @ 09:56
If you can afford to risk £200 why dont you give it a whirl and order. If you find the equipment good enough then its a result and a massive bargain. If not you will have lost £200.
          Reload  Top
snowmike
  #11  Re: Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?  Posted 12/02/2009 @ 10:55
In reply to post #10...
Thanks guys, All comments appreciated - I think as you've said it'd be better to buy a second hand reputable brand than a potential Turkey.
As I said, I was just wondering based on what I said above. I think I'd also rather spend the money on good boots first....
          Reload  Top
bornfishy
County Antrim
  #12  Re: Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?  Posted 12/02/2009 @ 11:09
Revision #1 (Last edited: 12/02/2009 @ 11:10)
In reply to post #8...

QUOTE (snowmike - 12/02/2009 @ 09:38)

OK, I know I sound like a tight ar$e but I was just wondering is all..
As I said, I'm new to this side of the sport, I've skied for years so am well use to the price of quality equipment and fully appreciate the amount of research that goes into making them the best they can be for the price.

But after doing a bit of looking around at snowboarding tackle, I just wondered if anybody had ridden one of these cheap crap boards, surely they must have sold a few or they wouldn't be in business?! The reason I'm so interested is because a friend recently bought some ski boots from the same place that are not one of the major well known brands in the UK, so considerably cheaper. (like half the price!)
Despie this apparently "cheapo" facade, they are VERY well made, comfy and seem to be packed with all the same technology as the "usual suspects". My friend is over the moon with them. This has set me thinking that maybe the same goes for snowboard gear in the UK where we tend to buy a lot based on glossy magazine photos / write ups instead of paying attention to what the folks in snowy countries use!
Lets face it, if you were a magazine editor and the major companies paid for your week in Whistler for you and your colleagues / mates to "test" all their gear, you'd give it a good write up wouldn't you?!

But you've just spent the last few posts saying that research and development = a week in the alps, and that 50% of the money goes towards new BMWs for the directors..?
Don't be a patsy.
          Reload  Top
snowmike
  #13  Re: Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?  Posted 12/02/2009 @ 11:28
In reply to post #12...
True... but I think you'll agree, there's a lot more advertising, glossy photo's, dvd's, heli adventures, and "cool" fashion in the boarding world so maybe they make creamier profits to account for that?
          Reload  Top
kincaidston
Fife
  #14  Re: Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?  Posted 12/02/2009 @ 12:22
In reply to post #13...
why not have a look at true boards... internet set up but seem to know something about snowboards
The difference between eccentricity and madness is an engineering background
          Reload  Top
bornfishy
County Antrim
  #15  Re: Pale Snowboards - What's the crack?  Posted 12/02/2009 @ 12:26
In reply to post #13...

QUOTE (snowmike - 12/02/2009 @ 11:28)

True... but I think you'll agree, there's a lot more advertising, glossy photo's, dvd's, heli adventures, and "cool" fashion in the boarding world so maybe they make creamier profits to account for that?

Honestly, I don't really, lol. I work in a ski shop, no snowboards at all, and I think they're as bad as each other
Don't be a patsy.
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- The North Face Free Thinker, Summit Series Gore Tex Pro Shell, Recco
- GNU asym B-nice 2019 vs Capita Space Metal Fantasy 2019
- FOR SALE: Zardoz NOTwax Base Boost / Base Lubricant
- which maps do you use?
- 2014/2015 Season Stoke!
- Why did you start snowbording?
- 2 spots available - Val Thorens 19-26th Jan 2019
- Looking for a good jacket to keep me warm on the slopes
- Chooseing a new boot
- pants: insulated or shell?
- Celtek Mittens - Can you help me?!
- snowboarding problems
- Package or DIY
- HOLY SH1T IT'S BACK!! :)
- Snowboard product survey.
- Idea! Trip for peopele with passion
- Pennsylvania snowboarding
- Niseko, Japan - looking to organise a cheap trip for anyone interested!
- numb toes
- What is my snowboard worth?
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2018 GONEboarding.co.uk