One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   JerseyNick   On:   Tuesday 09/12/2014 @ 10:00 Show Newest First    
JerseyNick
  #1  One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15  Posted 09/12/2014 @ 10:00
Morning all,

Having enjoyed back to back seasons in Canada and Japan, last season I only managed 5 days on snow and that was in Les Arcs over New Year. Not exactly the idyllic soul surfing, nor the plentiful days of the previous years.

Realising just how much value I take out of my days on snow, this year I have gone for a different approach and will be going on a one-man-roadie around BC for almost a month, between Dec 17th and Jan 10th.

I'll use this post as a diary/report on conditions for those who are interested. I will also be visiting a lot of hills for the first time (Baker/Red/Revy) so for those who want to know what it's like to be a first timer it could be a good guide.

My initial best-guess itinerary is below, although I recently learnt that one of the guys I was in Japan with is living in Revvy this season, so I may spend a bit more time up that way.

That's me for now. Hope it's of enjoyment.

Weds Dec 17th - Arrive 17.50 Canadian time
Thurs 18th Dec - Ride Grouse then drive to Baker (2hr 15)
Fri 19th Dec - Ride Mt Baker
Sat 20th Ride Mt Baker and/or drive to Kelowna (4hr 20)
Sunday 21st Dec - Ride Big white, stay Kelowna
Monday 22nd - Drive to Rossland early and ride Red (4hr 15)
Tuesday 23rd - Drive to Fernie (4hrs 15)
Wednesday 24th - Ride Fernie
Thursday 25th - Ride Fernie
Friday 26th - Ride Fernie
Saturday 27th - Drive to Nelson
Sunday 28th - Ride Whitewater
Monday 29th - Drive to Revvy early and ride (4 hours)
Tuesday 30th - Ride Revvy (with Polski?) then drive to Kelowna
Wednesday 31st - Chill out/party
Thursday 1st - Ride Big white or Silver Star (or be hungover)
Friday 2nd - Drive to Revvy, ride, return to Kelowna
Saturday 3rd - Ride big white
Sunday 4th - Drive Kelowna to Whistler
Monday 5th - Ride Whistler
Tuesday 6th - Chill out, drive to Pemberton
Wednesday 7th - Pemberton Cat skiing
Thursday 8th - Pemberton Cat skiing
Friday 9th - Chill in Vancouver all day or ski Cypress
Friday 9th - Fly back to blighty
snowheretohide.tumblr.com
          Reload  Top
philw
UK - England
  #2  Re: One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15  Posted 09/12/2014 @ 12:39
In reply to post #1...
Sounds good - I'll be interested in the weather reports as you go. I may be in some of those places depending on where the snow is. I doubt there's snow in the city yet, but who knows, and I hear the snow machine has started now. There are smaller places like Hemlock which can be really good in the right snow, if you have a vehicle which can get there.
powder mountain   Facts about snowboarding safety
          Reload  Top
JerseyNick
  #3  Re: One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15  Posted 09/12/2014 @ 13:23
In reply to post #2...
Thanks for the heads up. Keen to explore some new spots. However I just have an AWD hire car, (Which I assume comes with snow tires!) so might be a bit on the sketchy side.

All suggestions welcome though! Is it one of those hills you can enjoy without knowing all the "local" spots for want of a better phrase?

And appreciate the city comment - I might make the most of the jet lag and head to Baker on day 1 and beat the immigration queue at the boarder... was just thinking Grouse as a leg warmer upper - won't have been on a board since July!
          Reload  Top
Bods
  #4  Re: One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15  Posted 09/12/2014 @ 15:21
Sounds spot on - nothing like a good road trip post to inspire others with.. Good luck, sounds like a lot of driving involved.
"You're so adrift in far off places and hilly strangers you adore, that you're riding blind through eden lying right outside your door"
Pistehors.com
Meteoblue Weather Forecasting
SHredding the Jar Teaser
          Reload  Top
philw
UK - England
  #5  Re: One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15  Posted 09/12/2014 @ 15:34
In reply to post #4...
Yeah, last year I went to Cypress when I arrived - Dec 15th I think. That was pretty much the first snow they'd had that year and it wasn't completely open. If you have a car the Cypress is bigger than Grouse. You can get to either on the bus/ water bus though, which is what I do as it's kind of fun.

AWD should be fine. I usually end up with 2wd and crappy tires, but some places get a bit dodgy and are definitely illegal with that.
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #6  Re: One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15  Posted 09/12/2014 @ 23:06
Revision #2 (Last edited: 09/12/2014 @ 23:07)
In reply to post #5...
Jelous as hell Just make sure you do more riding than driving
Big white is probably more fun for off piste than Silver Star, but all conditions dependent ..
I'm sure Fernie/Nelson/Revelstoke/Whitewater etc.. will be more the highlights, with the Kelowna resorts more 'filler', but still fun
For Sale:
- HangTime Snowboard Wall Mounts in black or white colours. £25 including UK postage. Just send me a message, or see the classifieds section!
- Giro Basis Goggles (White frame, black strap, gold flowers design, gold / amber lens) £75. See the classifieds section for photos!
          Reload  Top
philw
UK - England
  #7  Re: One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15  Posted 10/12/2014 @ 08:23
In reply to post #6...
And these are helpful:
http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/index.html
          Reload  Top
TINRIB mk2
Gloucestershire
  #8  Re: One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15  Posted 10/12/2014 @ 23:25
In reply to post #7...
Very jealous mate!! I did a road trip from Calgary to Vancouver a few years back only had a three weeks so couldn't hit the amount of resorts your doing. Have you looked up red mountain resort got told it was a good place whilst we were there but we didn't have the time to go.
SHAKE AND BAKE........
          Reload  Top
JerseyNick
  #9  Re: One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15  Posted 11/12/2014 @ 15:58
In reply to post #8...
So, after three days in a warehouse in the middle of rural Holland dealing with some pretty complex but insanely repetitive Virtual Reality setup, I get back to the office and realise I only have THREE WORKING DAYS LEFT until I depart for Canada.

My board bag is still in the loft.
I've done no checking of kit.
I'm in desperate need of some new hand wear (my old Dakines having suffered three seasons of picking up the board on its edges and after several rounds of gaffer tape on each index finger they have very much given up the ghost) and have no time to get to Snow and Rock.

Anyway, main point being feeling totally out of control with 5 full days until I head to Heathrow...

but there again this isn't really about control, this is about letting nature decide my fate. However at the minute interior BC seems unseasonably warm and the only place getting puked on is Whistler.

So c'mon nature. Get your act together for the both of us.
          Reload  Top
Ninja-Academy
  #10  Re: One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15  Posted 11/12/2014 @ 21:48
In reply to post #1...
I'm sure you have planned this all out on Google maps but you do realise that you are going back on yourself quite a bit!? You change some of those resorts around and have a more loop type drive. Maybe even hitting up Kicking Horse and Panorama on the way.
www.ninjaacademy.co.uk
          Reload  Top
Qbon
South Yorkshire
  #11  Re: One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15  Posted 12/12/2014 @ 00:18
In reply to post #1...
Can't beat a good road trip! Revy is amazing if I was going back to BC that's where I'd be and maybe kicking horse, enjoy your trip man I'll be looking forward to read all about it
          Reload  Top
JerseyNick
  #12  Re: One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15  Posted 12/12/2014 @ 12:20
In reply to post #10...
Cheers Ninja Academy.

Yup, bit of a weird order but I have friends in Fernie who I am spending Christmas with and a friend in Kelowna who i am spending new year with - hence the slightly weird route.

HOWEVER, with the snow report being as it is today, that might all be subject to change as Baker has had nothing but rain, Red is struggling, Fernie hasn't had a fall since first day of the season...

Whistler, however, has been getting dumped on so it might be head up there first and spend a couple of days there, reverse my loop and go Whistler -> Revvy -> Fernie and onward.

My fate is very much with Ulla.

And at this stage my bag is STILL in the loft, I still have no gloves and I still haven't checked my kit in anyway... There's always Sunday.

Reload  Top
TINRIB mk2
Gloucestershire
  #13  Re: One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15  Posted 12/12/2014 @ 16:48
In reply to post #12...
What size gloves do you take I've got an oldish set of leather pow ones you can have for the postage but there a small.
SHAKE AND BAKE........
          Reload  Top
Ninja-Academy
  #14  Re: One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15  Posted 12/12/2014 @ 20:09
In reply to post #12...
Nice, I worked in Fernie for 5 years so I may even know your friends! Fernie is a rad place. Love it!

I wouldn't say it is 'dumping' at Whistler. I live and work in Whistler, we have just come off the tail end of a 3 day hammering of rain. It has only really snowed on the top end (alpine), bottom is still struggling big time.

No more snow due for the next few days but should hopefully pick up again soon. Temperatures have been crazy warm.
www.ninjaacademy.co.uk
          Reload  Top
JerseyNick
  #15  Re: One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15  Posted 13/12/2014 @ 13:18
In reply to post #14...
Ahhh.... snow-forecast.com not telling the full story then. Thanks for the heads up Ninja.

Yeah, I hear it's been unseasonably warm in a lot of BC. Fernie struggling big time too but the sounds of it. http://www.billhandley.com (one of the local's, originally from Devon who blogs every day of the year so pretty accurate!)

Oh well, just have to keep fingers crossed and my plans adaptable. Any time on a snowboard is better than no time on a snowboard I guess. And I wasn't going to take my park board but if there's no bottomless BC blower to be had then might as well try and get some fun out of rails instead.

Pray to Ulla....
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Jib board sizing query
- Looking for advice!
- Anyone looking for Snowboard cross training and competition
- Holiday comp
- Feeling low energy
- True Freedom 163 Board
- Epic Pass On Sale
- Package or DIY
- Best board for carving/ charging hard
- Capita Quality??
- buying first gear
- What's my next board after 12 years on a Rome Anthem?
- EasyJet £10 carriage for sports equipment.
- last minute .... les 2 alpes 16-23 March
- Last Minute Powder Trip Junkies!
- Bindings too big? Please help!
- Rear toe overhang on freeride board
- Best ladies beginner board?
- Courchevel off piste snowboard guide recommendations
- Tignes. Help!!
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2019 GONEboarding.co.uk