NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   SnowBoating   On:   Monday 07/01/2013 @ 11:32 Show Newest First    
SnowBoating
UK - England
  #1  NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride  Posted 07/01/2013 @ 11:32
Revision #1 (Last edited: 07/01/2013 @ 11:39)
I've just got back from my first trip of the year and gave my NOW bindings a good pasting on the hill.

I have to say I love them, they have completely changed the way I ride... for the better.

1. The fit - the heel cup is seriously deep and locks your boot in like no other bindings I've tried. The ankle strap is very comfortable, nicely padded and 3D moulded but the toe strap is a bit of let down. I think its because im used to riding with Burton toe caps and they are just awesome. I found myself having to fiddle with toe strap to get it into a decent position but it wasn't really an issue due to the bindings allowing me to ride in a different way later in the week.... but more of that later. But saying that I have harvested the toe caps from my Burton triads and put them on my NOW's just so that im up and running quicker on the hill and not fiddling to get them in the right place over my toe. I think next years models will have updated straps.

2. The ride - all I can say is the kingpin works. It allows you to transfer your weight to the edges like nothing I've tried before. I'll be the first to admit i have bad technique and was guilty of riding from my toes. This gave me all sorts of issues mostly foot and arch cramp and was a major reason for investing in NOW's. I found myself being able to board from my shins and knees and only having to lean slightly into my boots in one direction to initiate turns just like a long board. Because of this I wasn't having to crank my laces and boa's to the max to keep my heel locked in. Some days my boots where hardly done up at all and this just made riding so comfy. By the middle of the week I was able to widen my stance, i've never been any good boarding with a wide stance but all of a sudden it just worked. I felt more stable and locked into my deck. For the first time I went for a true duck stance 14/14 and found riding switch easier.

I tired all 3 sets of bushings out, hard, medium and soft. I stuck with the medium set for most the week - they were perfect for all mountain and the groomers. The soft were just to soft for carving, they made your carves too aggressive but would be awesome in the park. The hard bushings pretty much turn the NOW's into a standard set of bindings so you can't lose really.

Conclusion: NOW's aren't cheap.. i mean £250... WTF. I had to think long and hard before investing in my pair before any reviews came out but im glad I did. They are built like tanks, well thought out, light, completely customisable and they look awesome. I'd prefer if they were £70 cheaper to compete with Union and Burtons flagships though. If you suffer from heel lift, foot fatigue like I used to i would recommend a pair as the bindings allowed me or trained me to ride in a better way (you should really go improver lessons which would help more than the bindings.). But this was just a bonus benefit on top of them just being great bindings.

One negative is the screws are awful, my snowboard tool chewed through them after a few days.. I would replace them straight off the bat with something a bit tougher, I had to cut a new groove into one of the screws it was so mangled. Teething problems for a new company but nothing that should stop you investing.
          Reload  Top
SnowBoating
UK - England
  #2  Re: NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride  Posted 07/01/2013 @ 13:54
In reply to post #1...
Before Modification
          Reload  Top
fatbob
Forum Mod
Nottinghamshire
  #3  Re: NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride  Posted 07/01/2013 @ 18:23
In reply to post #1...
You've found foot pedalling, see no heel lift.
Clicky here to donate to our 9 day LEJOG ride for Christian Aid and Disability Snowsports UK
Use the code LZP12 at Proskins for 10% off and 10% to Christian Aid
Love Snow
The Rider Social Chatel
          Reload  Top
winterfunman
Lincolnshire
  #4  Re: NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride  Posted 07/01/2013 @ 18:36
In reply to post #3...

QUOTE (fatbob - 07/01/2013 @ 18:23)

You've found foot pedalling, see no heel lift.

Love it , you mean he learnt to ride correctly
we r only here for a short time , live life to the full every day

BANSKO Apartment deals see below:

http://www.alexander-apartment-bansko.com

info@alexander-apartment-bansko.com
          Reload  Top
Starky1
Middlesex
  #5  Re: NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride  Posted 07/01/2013 @ 18:38
In reply to post #3...
Out of intrest, what is foot pedaling?
          Reload  Top
Niki O
  #6  Re: NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride  Posted 07/01/2013 @ 19:08
In reply to post #5...
Fine report, very interesting, I'm just not sure I want a snowboard to feel like a longboard skateboard, glad you got on well with them.
          Reload  Top
tomcop10
Derbyshire
  #7  Re: NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride  Posted 07/01/2013 @ 19:17
In reply to post #1...
Wishing I had bought these now! Just bought a pair of Union Force bindings. I get really bad pain from bad technique, putting too much pressure on the toes casues me really bad arch pain. In truth I think its actually helped contribute to my knee problem, Chondromalacia Patella, have'nt been able to board since begining of September!

Little off topic but how do you solve this? Had weeks worth of lessons but no one ever mentioned anything about this.
          Reload  Top
SnowBoating
UK - England
  #8  Re: NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride  Posted 07/01/2013 @ 19:28
In reply to post #7...

QUOTE (tomcop10 - 07/01/2013 @ 19:17)

Wishing I had bought these now! Just bought a pair of Union Force bindings. I get really bad pain from bad technique, putting too much pressure on the toes casues me really bad arch pain. In truth I think its actually helped contribute to my knee problem, Chondromalacia Patella, have'nt been able to board since begining of September!

Little off topic but how do you solve this? Had weeks worth of lessons but no one ever mentioned anything about this.

Bob and Mini should be able to point you in the right direction - do these techniques get taught at the higher BASI levels?

I knew I should of been boarding more from my ankles/ shins but I always had trouble with it. The bindings just gave me a bit more confidence and freedom to try it as they just seem initiate turns so well. They helped me learn the technique a bit quicker - i was amazed at how lose i can have my boots.
          Reload  Top
SnowBoating
UK - England
  #10  Re: NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride  Posted 07/01/2013 @ 19:31
In reply to post #6...

QUOTE (Niki O - 07/01/2013 @ 19:08)

Fine report, very interesting, I'm just not sure I want a snowboard to feel like a longboard skateboard, glad you got on well with them.

Well its not exactly like a long board but you get the idea. At no point did it feel out of control - if anything more in control.
          Reload  Top
SnowBoating
UK - England
  #11  Re: NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride  Posted 07/01/2013 @ 19:36
In reply to post #5...

QUOTE (Starky1 - 07/01/2013 @ 18:38)

Out of intrest, what is foot pedaling?

Bob - just to save you typing it out agan: from another post;

"Foot pedalling is using the torsional flex of the board to turn. 'Foot pedalling' is introduced is when you learn falling leaf to steer the board.

You've already learnt to flex and extend to start the board moving and also to move your weight along the boards length (fore and aft movements). The next stage is to introduce steering to start moving the board towards the fall line (and eventually crossing it through turns). Steering in the BASI route is through foot steering/foot pedalling, using the boards torsional flex to achieve this, pretty much like taking your foot on and off the accelerator pedal of your car.

So on toe edge (facing upslope) once you'd started the board moving and your weight is on your front foot you would pull up on your front foot toe strap to flex the board and put it on it's heel edge. The rear foot would then have to mirror the front foot."
          Reload  Top
Starky1
Middlesex
  #12  Re: NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride  Posted 07/01/2013 @ 22:12
In reply to post #11...
Sorry but I think I missed the thread explaining it, and thank you for you for repeating it.

I think I know what your trying to explain but iv never heard it called that before.
          Reload  Top
fatbob
Forum Mod
Nottinghamshire
  #13  Re: NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride  Posted 07/01/2013 @ 22:24
In reply to post #11...
Cheers Snowboating. It's all about using the straps.
Clicky here to donate to our 9 day LEJOG ride for Christian Aid and Disability Snowsports UK
Love Snow
The Rider Social Chatel
          Reload  Top
Starky1
Middlesex
  #14  Re: NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride  Posted 07/01/2013 @ 22:27
In reply to post #13...
Hi fat bob is there any chance if getting the link to your thread about foot pedaling or perhaps the title
          Reload  Top
fatbob
Forum Mod
Nottinghamshire
  #15  Re: NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride  Posted 07/01/2013 @ 22:42
In reply to post #14...
Not sure where it is, you'll have to ask Snowboating. Think it was on a thread about Flow bindings and heel lift.
Love Snow
The Rider Social Chatel
          Reload  Top
SnowBoating
UK - England
  #16  Re: NOW bindings review - changed the way I ride  Posted 07/01/2013 @ 22:47
In reply to post #14...

QUOTE (Starky1 - 07/01/2013 @ 22:27)

Hi fat bob is there any chance if getting the link to your thread about foot pedaling or perhaps the title

POW - here you go - http://bit.ly/UCQlzU

Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Burton Restricted Whammy Bar Marley Snowboard
- What's the best gimbal to use?
- Butters
- I made a list of ski pass prices 2017/2018 for largest ski resorts in Europe
- Airport Transfers drivers wanted
- Please help me identify the brand of these bindings!
- Where are you all going in the 2017/18 Season.
- 2014/2015 Season Stoke!
- Snowboarding in November
- Need new snowboarding friends
- Advice please!
- flow step in bindings in powder
- Bad days riding
- Snowboarding gear on ebay!
- a cheap holiday
- Ultra lightweight anorak/shells
- Snowboard lessons in Val Thoren
- First snowboard boots. Huge feet. What's available?
- JAPAN 2018 - ABS bags vs Jetforce, electric vs gas avi bags?/?
- Discount codes - anyone help a brother out???? Snow and rock would be awesome?
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2017 GONEboarding.co.uk