March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   revenge-of-smeg   On:   Sunday 30/12/2018 @ 11:35 Show Newest First    
revenge-of-smeg
County Durham
  #1  March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice  Posted 30/12/2018 @ 11:35
So I have these dates as my week off from work and this 40 something is trying to sort out some kind of trip, it's likely to be solo as none of my friends ski or board and basically they're pretty sh*t - I gave them a years notice of a trip and in that year not 1 person who said they would go made any attempt to save any cash or do anything toward the trip, so balls to them I'll go alone lol.

It's Sun to Sat as that is my working week and I'm not able to change the dates and I won't know if I have the 16th/24th March off as a rota'd rest day until closer to the time. This is proving a massive challenge!

I've been looking at DIY (flights, transfers, accommodation) and it's seeming more expensive than anything I've ever paid. Singles holidays are a joke with the prices they charge, especially claiming they don't charge single supp and then charging £1000 for a weeks hol.

My backup plan is skiweekends but again it is about 600 (flight, trfr, accommodation, lift pass) for 4 days which is only 2 days on the slopes. (this is looking the likely option at the moment)

I've planned trips before but it has always been for groups, I've never planned a solo snow trip and it is seemingly a lot more difficult than I thought it would be, or actually should be in my mind - maybe there's a gap in the market there for an app or something that allows people to group together and see where people want to fly from etc

Anyone got any suggestions or ideas? My nearest airport is Newcastle, but could do Leeds Bradford or Manchester. I do have the option of flying from London Southend (or any London Airport) if I do Mon-Fri which gives me the days either side to travel to/from Durham. Resort doesn't bother me, I don't mind taking a skibus to get to/from lifts as I've done it before. I'm basically a beginner as I've not been in about 8 years (I'll be getting my legs back at Castleford dome before the trip) with previously 8 weeks under my belt at various EU resorts riding blues and reds.

Budget wise, as cheap as I can get it, but I'm willing to compromise on bits i.e. if it is a little bit extra to be closer into a resort I'll pay it, it doesn't have to be 4 star luxury but if I can avoid a bunk room with no windows and 16 partying 20 somethings then I will.

Obviously some of this may change if I get to find out about additional days off either side!
Older, Fatter, Smeggier - The board member formerly known as SmegHead
          Reload  Top
oldgit
Hampshire
  #2  Re: March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice  Posted 31/12/2018 @ 00:07
In reply to post #1...
Look on the bright side, you are after half-term and before Easter. When I have been in your position, I waited until about a week before and looked where the snow was. Find the best flight near to where the snow is and get a hire car which can be cheaper than a transfer. For accommodation - phone the tourist office in the resort. I have got some great deals this way and being single is never a problem. Look at airports that are a little away from resorts - Munich for example which has loads of cheap flights - you can get to most of Austria in 3 hrs or less. Maybe Lyons for the Southern Alps like Les deux Alpes which has a fair amount of cheap accommodation.

Also at the last minute you may well find ski weekends have some good deals.
          Reload  Top
chango
Merseyside
  #3  Re: March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice  Posted 31/12/2018 @ 10:05
In reply to post #2...

QUOTE (oldgit - 31/12/2018 @ 00:07)

Look on the bright side, you are after half-term and before Easter. When I have been in your position, I waited until about a week before and looked where the snow was. Find the best flight near to where the snow is and get a hire car which can be cheaper than a transfer. For accommodation - phone the tourist office in the resort. I have got some great deals this way and being single is never a problem. Look at airports that are a little away from resorts - Munich for example which has loads of cheap flights - you can get to most of Austria in 3 hrs or less. Maybe Lyons for the Southern Alps like Les deux Alpes which has a fair amount of cheap accommodation.

Also at the last minute you may well find ski weekends have some good deals.

this is solid advice. get a flight, hire a car, suit yourself. book lessons or a course at your resort and bingo...you've got mates to ride with.

also i believe there is a facebook group called billysnowmates who run trips you might be able to bunk on to. a
          Reload  Top
revenge-of-smeg
County Durham
  #4  Re: March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice  Posted 01/01/2019 @ 14:30
In reply to post #3...
Some sound advice there, I'll keep plodding away at it.

Annoying that my work hours are short notice (at the moment, by end of Jan I should get my rota's at least 3 month in advance which will allow for better planning)

I've only briefly looked at car hire at the moment, i'll dig more as i know sometimes you can get some good deals. I was trying to time public transport with cheap flights, but cheap flights are normally that for a reason like not being anywhere near the times of other public transport ha!

The way I look at it I'd spend in the region of 600 to go to Brides or Flaines with skiweekends for 2 days of slope time so if I can get 3-5 days for a similar cost by going DIY then I'm not losing out.

Cheers peeps
          Reload  Top
russ295
Forum Mod
Tyne & Wear
  #5  Re: March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice  Posted 02/01/2019 @ 18:41
In reply to post #4...
Andorra if your not looking for miles and miles of piste to ride.
Flight to barcelona and a transfer, cheap food and beer!
          Reload  Top
chango
Merseyside
  #6  Re: March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice  Posted 03/01/2019 @ 10:10
In reply to post #4...
if can get time off and you're willing to take a risk on late season look at the tsa x treeline shred week. loads of people on their own on that week last year. it was superb value and a great time
          Reload  Top
revenge-of-smeg
County Durham
  #7  Re: March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice  Posted 03/01/2019 @ 11:55
In reply to post #5...
Used to do Andorra in Mid Jan - stopped after one holiday of sunbathing at the bottom watching the rivers of water flow down the mountain.

Certainly still consider the place if the snow is right
          Reload  Top
revenge-of-smeg
County Durham
  #8  Re: March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice  Posted 03/01/2019 @ 11:56
In reply to post #6...
Alas my time off is 100% dictated to me cheers for the heads up tho
          Reload  Top
revenge-of-smeg
County Durham
  #9  Re: March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice  Posted 03/01/2019 @ 12:12
In reply to post #3...

QUOTE (chango - 31/12/2018 @ 10:05)

this is solid advice. get a flight, hire a car, suit yourself. book lessons or a course at your resort and bingo...you've got mates to ride with.

also i believe there is a facebook group called billysnowmates who run trips you might be able to bunk on to. a

Chango - that billysnowmates is an absolute godsend. Trying not to get my hopes up but they have a week the exact week I'm looking at, I'd just need a shift swap/rest day on the 16th March to make it.
          Reload  Top
russ295
Forum Mod
Tyne & Wear
  #10  Re: March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice  Posted 04/01/2019 @ 16:08
In reply to post #7...

QUOTE (revenge-of-smeg - 03/01/2019 @ 11:55)

Used to do Andorra in Mid Jan - stopped after one holiday of sunbathing at the bottom watching the rivers of water flow down the mountain.

Certainly still consider the place if the snow is right

I think there was a year everywhere struggled! My pal was mountian biking in austria when he should have been skiing.
          Reload  Top
chango
Merseyside
  #11  Re: March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice  Posted 05/01/2019 @ 18:26
In reply to post #9...

QUOTE (revenge-of-smeg - 03/01/2019 @ 12:12)

Chango - that billysnowmates is an absolute godsend. Trying not to get my hopes up but they have a week the exact week I'm looking at, I'd just need a shift swap/rest day on the 16th March to make it.

fingers crossed you get a result mate
          Reload  Top
revenge-of-smeg
County Durham
  #12  Re: March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice  Posted 05/01/2019 @ 20:03
In reply to post #11...
sorted

Work added the day - I'm booked
          Reload  Top
chango
Merseyside
  #13  Re: March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice  Posted 06/01/2019 @ 18:45
In reply to post #12...

QUOTE (revenge-of-smeg - 05/01/2019 @ 20:03)

sorted

Work added the day - I'm booked

spill the fkn beans then!!!.....where are you going??
          Reload  Top
revenge-of-smeg
County Durham
  #15  Re: March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice  Posted 08/01/2019 @ 14:05
In reply to post #13...
Off to Les 2 Alps! jumped on a bash being organised on Billy Sno Mates. Cost was about £585 all in all for flights, baggage, trfrs, accommodation and lift pass. Was gonna cost me that for skiweekends for 2 days!
          Reload  Top
russ295
Forum Mod
Tyne & Wear
  #16  Re: March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice  Posted 09/01/2019 @ 11:34
In reply to post #15...
Nice, I’m heading there for the first time end of January.
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Newbie.... Which Board should I use
- Bulgaria, Borovets 28th Jan-3rd Feb
- Anyone up for snowboarding Jan/Feb
- Snowboarding is Scotland
- Splitboarding in Lofoten 10-17 March 2019
- Splitboard Level 2 Course in Chamonix 11-15 Feb 2019
- Breckenridge March 2019 - Anyone looking for Accommodation Share ?
- Snowboarding Sizing Help
- Advice -- Indoor snowboarding recommandations
- Bulgaria, Borovets 28th Jan-3rd Feb
- March 17th to 23rd - trip planning advice
- Another New Board Post - Calling all Jones riders.
- Snowboarding in China
- snowboarding problems
- Les Trois Vallees Feb 22- March 2nd 2019
- 2 spots available - Val Thorens 19-26th Jan 2019
- Laax Banked Slalom Open Comp - March 2019
- Skiing and the environment survey
- Board choice
- Snowbombing festival 2019
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook