Looking for a good jacket to keep me warm on the slopes

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   tamardata   On:   Tuesday 25/11/2014 @ 16:53 Show Newest First    
tamardata
London
  #2  Looking for a good jacket to keep me warm on the slopes  Posted 25/11/2014 @ 16:53
Soo....

I'm terrified but I'm heading to the French Alps to learn to snowboard in the new year! eek! I am looking for the best jacket for me.... something warm, waterproof, durable and allows movement (I will be falling over a LOT)

I've found one that I quite like but would like your feedback as to whether it's worth it (pretty pricey!). I'd also like to know what people's suggestions are as well.

This is the one I like: http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/the-north-face-womens-sickline-jacket-2b110288?id_colour=98

I love the colours but obviously there's more to consider when buying a jacket for snowboarding...

Thanks guys! :D
          Reload  Top
Limz
France
  #3  Re: Looking for a good jacket to keep me warm on the slopes  Posted 25/11/2014 @ 16:58
In reply to post #2...
Go to a good shop....if you're going to pay good money.

TSA

http://m.snowboard-asylum.com
RiP iT uP
          Reload  Top
baggzy
London
  #4  Re: Looking for a good jacket to keep me warm on the slopes  Posted 25/11/2014 @ 17:46
In reply to post #2...
I'm out of touch with all the breathability and water resistant tech but that's where I'd start. Northface aren't using the system I'm familiar with, where 10K/10K or 20K/20K is what I'd be after for that sort of money. Breathability is a critical factor for warmth. If the jacket doesn't breath your own body moisture will freeze inside the jacket and make you cold. What you wear under the jacket is also critical for the same reason - don't wear normal clothes! Only wear proper thermal and fleece products. Same with socks - get decent snowboard socks. If your feet are cold you'll be cold. And it's harder to learn if you can't feel your toes. Of course this will matter less if you have nice sunny days...

If you decide to go with that jacket don't pay full price unless you've spent 40 mins in the shop and they've given you lots of good advice. You can get it cheaper. (e.g. here.) But in terms of falling over, it's how waterproof your trousers and gloves are that will matter more than your jacket. You'll fall on your ass or your forearms (try NOT to fall on your wrists or elbows!). They should teach you how to fall early in your first lesson. Falling on your ass is harder to control and can bruise or break your tail bone (coccyx) which is extremely painful and can ruin your holiday. So with the money you save on the jacket, I'd recommend investing in some impact shorts. Most people don't bother, but I think it's worth it when you're learning. They're also warmer when you're sitting on the snow listening to the instructor. On the downside, they will definitely make your ass look big. And you need to buy trousers that will fit over the impact shorts, so if you already have trousers that might be a problem.

Be prepared but don't be terrified! You'll absolutely love it. It's going to be awesome.
          Reload  Top
russ295
Forum Mod
Tyne & Wear
  #5  Re: Looking for a good jacket to keep me warm on the slopes  Posted 25/11/2014 @ 18:25
In reply to post #4...
Your learning to snowboard.
You'll be stripped down to the waist after 20 mins!

I prefer shell or very slightly insulated jackets and at the most a base and thin fleece but usually just a base. It's cold but you soon warm up.
Good gloves and socks are a must!
          Reload  Top
kiwilucas
UK - England
  #6  Re: Looking for a good jacket to keep me warm on the slopes  Posted 25/11/2014 @ 21:47
In reply to post #5...
yup with what russ said! Just make sure before you head to your destination to have a check on the weather map to guage how cold its going to be!

honestly the last few season i have been away its been so warm man...haven't used my winter jacket in a long time- hoodies/ shells & they say global warming isn't happening...hmmm
I.Shall.Devour.Everything.
          Reload  Top
oldgit
Hampshire
  #7  Re: Looking for a good jacket to keep me warm on the slopes  Posted 28/11/2014 @ 12:47
In reply to post #2...
Welcome to a great sport - you will love it. It may be a bit late now but some lessons at a snowdome would save you spending resort-time learning the basics. As for the coat, to be honest, I don't think its worth the money. For movement yopu want a thin 'shell' or something with just a thin insulated lining - not massive padding. Warmth comes from layering - for max warmth - 4 layers - man-made non moisture- absorbant: t-shirt, long sleeved base layer, micro fleece and then the jacket. In reality, as people have said, snowboarding is very physical and you will get hot. Individuals differ but I ride quite happily in just a long-sleeved base layer and jacket. When you get cold, just add a layer. As people have said - breathability is key and gortex scores highly here. So - go to some stores to get an idea of what is about
          Reload  Top
laurette91
  #8  Re: Looking for a good jacket to keep me warm on the slopes  Posted 27/11/2018 @ 22:51
In reply to post #2...
I've just got mine from https://www.ridestore.com/uk/snow/gear/jackets together with pants on sale! I also found decent ones on blue-tomato but I really like the dope brand
          Reload  Top
oldgit
Hampshire
  #9  Re: Looking for a good jacket to keep me warm on the slopes  Posted 28/11/2018 @ 22:59
In reply to post #8...
Dear Ridestore,

Your kit looks very nice but, to trade in the uk, you must make you location and address clear. With a bit of digging, I see you are based in Sweden. I voted remain and very much appreciate doing business with European friends. Just make your location easier to find - it should be under “contact us” alongside the form.
          Reload  Top
meth mouth
London
  #10  Re: Looking for a good jacket to keep me warm on the slopes  Posted 01/12/2018 @ 21:16
In reply to post #9...
Yep have to agree, on all points!
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- The North Face Free Thinker, Summit Series Gore Tex Pro Shell, Recco
- GNU asym B-nice 2019 vs Capita Space Metal Fantasy 2019
- FOR SALE: Zardoz NOTwax Base Boost / Base Lubricant
- which maps do you use?
- 2014/2015 Season Stoke!
- Why did you start snowbording?
- 2 spots available - Val Thorens 19-26th Jan 2019
- Looking for a good jacket to keep me warm on the slopes
- Chooseing a new boot
- pants: insulated or shell?
- Celtek Mittens - Can you help me?!
- snowboarding problems
- Package or DIY
- HOLY SH1T IT'S BACK!! :)
- Snowboard product survey.
- Idea! Trip for peopele with passion
- Pennsylvania snowboarding
- Niseko, Japan - looking to organise a cheap trip for anyone interested!
- numb toes
- What is my snowboard worth?
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2018 GONEboarding.co.uk