Linking my turns - dry slope

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   user58692   On:   Friday 06/04/2018 @ 13:09 Show Newest First    
user58692
  #2  Linking my turns - dry slope  Posted 06/04/2018 @ 13:09
Hi all!
I'm new to snowboarding, and I've been on the local dry slope learning the heel edge and toe edge.
I can do them both well, but only on their own - I can't go into fall line and into the other edge.

Whenever I try, I get stuck in the fall line and it takes a long time to switch into the right edge so I only get on turn in on the slope. Most of the time, however, I fall while in the fall line and trying to turn.

Any advice on how to improve my linked turns?
Thanks in advance!
          Reload  Top
FruityWax
Worcestershire
  #3  Re: Linking my turns - dry slope  Posted 07/04/2018 @ 02:07
In reply to post #2...
Some useful pointers here...

https://youtu.be/RHG5Fyp-YnY?t=135
          Reload  Top
oldgit
Hampshire
  #4  Re: Linking my turns - dry slope  Posted 10/04/2018 @ 10:29
In reply to post #2...
Getting turns for the first time on a dry slope is hard. You need a good instructor for starters. For heel to toe - find an object at the top of the slope to fix your eyes on. As you start going straight down the fall line turn your head and shoulders up the slope to fix your eyes on your chosen object. Your legs and hips should follow you head and shoulders and bring the board around so you end up across the slope on your toe edge. For toe to heel - try using you front arm to point where you want to go. This technique just gets you starting to feel what a turn is like. You have to get your front knee bent too - again a good instructor will sort all this but I would I really consider going to a snow slope for a lesson as long as you can find a good instructor. The unweighting shown in the video only comes into play once you have got the basics right.
          Reload  Top
PowderPup
Hampshire
  #5  Re: Linking my turns - dry slope  Posted 13/04/2018 @ 22:42
Revision #1 (Last edited: 13/04/2018 @ 22:55)
In reply to post #2...
Well the answer to this is in the question.

'Dry slope'

Dryslopes have too much friction, so turning is harder and slower. They are also steeper to compensate for the increased drag.

So if you are at the linking turns stage your ready to crack on with this at an indoor snow slope.

However if the distance or cost is too prohibitive. Then absolutlely perfect 'Garlands'. which are repeated turns on the same edge. Once you can master these to the point where you can take the board completely straight into the fall line and then turn back onto your edge then you are ready to try linking your turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2916hg4SE0

Another little trick I used to employ when learning linked turns was a reverse traverse to slingshot you round. Easier to demonstrate than explain in writing. It's a bit of a bad habit but it gets you through the fall line and onto the opposite edge nice and fast. I often use it in tricky off-piste spots where I need to change edge very quickly so certainly not a gimick.
Snowboarding ruined my life
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Best board for carving/ charging hard
- test
- Lib Tech Skate Banana sizing
- New members.
- Why did you start snowbording?
- Snowboard binding digging into little toe :(
- Tips for beginner snowboarders
- Booking a hoilday
- Mesh in the jacket snow cuff - normal?
- Just Finished Snow Dice for Android
- I had my first lesson yesterday
- Linking my turns - dry slope
- Beginner Board Selection - Again Probably....Sorry!
- Advice on which board to buy, not technically a beginner but its been a while.
- What's your favorite shredding lingo?
- alitude sickness
- Very Rare Promo Sims Fader Vivid Video Cassidey Snowboard
- Boots for feet with high arches???
- Looking for Burton Photon BOA boots
- Last Snow Of The Winter
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2018 GONEboarding.co.uk