learning on a dry slope

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   luketwin   On:   Saturday 13/10/2012 @ 00:56 Show Newest First    
luketwin
Kent
  #1  learning on a dry slope  Posted 13/10/2012 @ 00:56
Revision #1 (Last edited: 13/10/2012 @ 00:56)
im learning to snowboard on a dry slope and iv heard that its much harder to learn on dry then on snow, is this true?
i.... dropped the screw..... in the tuna
          Reload  Top
brannyuk
Somerset
  #2  Re: learning on a dry slope  Posted 13/10/2012 @ 08:55
In reply to post #1...
kind off

Your technique needs to be better on dryslope, resistance is higher so initiating turns etc can be harder, plus if you fall then you can get carpet burns etc

that said it's cheaper, outside and you'll find snow so much easier when you get to go away

remember that the influx of indoor slopes has only happened in the last 10 years or so... before that dryslope was king
www.bigdreamssnowboarding.com
          Reload  Top
philw
UK - England
  #3  Re: learning on a dry slope  Posted 13/10/2012 @ 09:49
Revision #1 (Last edited: 13/10/2012 @ 09:50)
In reply to post #2...
What he said.

Outside slopes are also much faster (because they're longer and steeper and there are fewer sideslipping people on them). They have more interesting features, they're cheaper to ride, there are fewer other people there, and the average standard tends to be higher.

For learning, either will work but plastic is less forgiving of poor technique. If you want your ego flattering go to a dome. If you can ride plastic on the other hand then you're probably able to ride.

So it's not "harder to learn" on plastic, it's just that you have to learn more and better to ride it. With a dome you can stop before you've learned very much at all and maybe get some fun out of it for a while. You're going to have to either give up or learn sooner or later though...
powder mountain   Facts about snowboarding safety
          Reload  Top
luketwin
Kent
  #4  Re: learning on a dry slope  Posted 13/10/2012 @ 17:59
glad to hear that its not as hard on snow as im going away in january and cant wait im learning still just linking turns is hard on dry, i need some impact pants hahah
          Reload  Top
paulmc
  #5  Re: learning on a dry slope  Posted 13/10/2012 @ 23:22
In reply to post #4...
Dry slopes are ok to get a basic feel for snowboarding but real snow is completely different, I agree with the comments made so far. Use the ry slope to gt yourself started but prepare o be amazed by how much faster real snow is and how much less painful it s when you and hard
http://www.Absolute-Snow.co.uk
Snow - Water - Skate - BMX - Rock - Street
          Reload  Top
Adzm00
London
  #6  Re: learning on a dry slope  Posted 15/10/2012 @ 11:45
In reply to post #1...
I really hated using the dry slope at Welwyn.

After only ever being in mountains or on indoor slopes, my girlfriend decided to book us on an outdoor slope, it was pretty cheap and its close to London, I wasn't going to take my own board as its not really great for it, so we used the boards provided. They were pretty terrible, they had dust all over them when the reception girls got them down.

We were joined by a couple of skiers on the slope and I found it looking as if it really needed a bit more attention, it was certainly not up to standard and although finding it easy enough to go up the lift to the top, coming down was not nice. Initiating turns wasn't a problem, but getting the turns to smoothly link was, and whilst I linked several turns, I was on my ass 5 times in 10 mins, with the first fall being particularly unpleasent and jamming my thumb between the slope.

In the end I went up and down 4 times, falling every time and needing a week to heal afterwards. I don't intend on using a dry slope again unless they bring forth some new technology which makes it more like being on snow than sliding over a wire brush.
          Reload  Top
luketwin
Kent
  #7  Re: learning on a dry slope  Posted 15/10/2012 @ 22:43
In reply to post #6...
Im learning on stuff called snowflex its like a full mat of bristles instead of the links you was on but it still feels excatly like you said haha. iv got a pair of impact shorts on the way :-)

Iv not been taught how to turn yet if im honest but i kind of can do the heel edge turn ( youtube as my teacher) haha but toe edge i just cant do it on the dry slope which sucks
          Reload  Top
brannyuk
Somerset
  #8  Re: learning on a dry slope  Posted 16/10/2012 @ 06:42
In reply to post #7...
snowflex is way better than dendix (which is what welwyn has) for beginners, and for softer landings as their is a foam underlay (doesn't stop the carpet burns though)

that said dendix is faster and allows you to crank a few turns!!

get some lessons though... youtube is not the place to learn and you'll pick up bad habits

oh and if you have your own board use it, I've been riding plastic for nearly 18 years (mainly dendix) and have done more damage in the domes and on a mountain that I have on artificial snow.... as for my body though....

i find knee pads an essential these days
          Reload  Top
usher
County Durham
  #9  Re: learning on a dry slope  Posted 16/10/2012 @ 06:50
In reply to post #7...

QUOTE (luketwin - 15/10/2012 @ 22:43)

Iv not been taught how to turn yet if im honest but i kind of can do the heel edge turn ( youtube as my teacher) haha but toe edge i just cant do it on the dry slope which sucks

Best advice here is get some lessons that way you can try to avoid bad habits and get a good technique for linking turns.
Pain is temporary pride is forever
          Reload  Top
bono
West Yorkshire
  #10  Re: learning on a dry slope  Posted 16/10/2012 @ 12:28
In reply to post #7...
I remember having this exact problem.. couldnt get the toe edge turn on dendix at sunderland..

learning to ride on dryslope gets you used to the outside and is way harder to ride than actual snow.. All this meens when you get to a real slope your used to wind and your edging is perfect!!.. Id reckomend getting lessons when you get to the real hill tho..
Bono
Inch" clothing - available at :www.inchclothing.co.uk, Division24 Wakefield
          Reload  Top
Adzm00
London
  #11  Re: learning on a dry slope  Posted 16/10/2012 @ 17:49
In reply to post #8...
Just had a look at the snowflex stuff, looks a lot better than the dendix I was on.

I think i'll just stick to indoor slopes though.
          Reload  Top
brannyuk
Somerset
  #12  Re: learning on a dry slope  Posted 16/10/2012 @ 22:08
In reply to post #11...
which is fine if you live near a dome or have unlimited funds

I love dryslope, don't care if it's dendix, snowflex or permasnow, I'd rather ride it than any dome tbh, the social aspects, being outdoors and the fact that it's about a 5th of the price
          Reload  Top
philw
UK - England
  #13  Re: learning on a dry slope  Posted 17/10/2012 @ 08:59
In reply to post #12...
What he said.

I prefer plastic because it's way faster, longer, and there are fewer people in the way.

Once you've learned to ride the "difficulty" difference disappears - it's just that domes are more forgiving of bad technique.
powder mountain   Facts about snowboarding safety
          Reload  Top
rememberme
Canada
  #14  Re: learning on a dry slope  Posted 17/10/2012 @ 18:48
In reply to post #13...
Less forgiving, better atmosphere, cheaper.....faster, quieter.... the list goes on.
I had so much fun riding on dryslope back in the day. Domes are fun too, but not in the same way. Stick to the dryslope it'll make you a better rider in the long run.
www.warandpiste.com -- buy the book.
          Reload  Top
Adzm00
London
  #15  Re: learning on a dry slope  Posted 19/10/2012 @ 16:17
In reply to post #12...
The dome is close enough, closer than any outdoor, unlimited funds, sadly not, but there are plenty of offers out there.

QUOTE (brannyuk - 16/10/2012 @ 22:08)

What he said.

I prefer plastic because it's way faster, longer, and there are fewer people in the way.

Once you've learned to ride the "difficulty" difference disappears - it's just that domes are more forgiving of bad technique.

Having been at it since January, there is still much room for improvement technique wise...
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Jib board sizing query
- Looking for advice!
- Anyone looking for Snowboard cross training and competition
- Holiday comp
- Feeling low energy
- True Freedom 163 Board
- Epic Pass On Sale
- Package or DIY
- Best board for carving/ charging hard
- Capita Quality??
- buying first gear
- What's my next board after 12 years on a Rome Anthem?
- EasyJet £10 carriage for sports equipment.
- last minute .... les 2 alpes 16-23 March
- Last Minute Powder Trip Junkies!
- Bindings too big? Please help!
- Rear toe overhang on freeride board
- Best ladies beginner board?
- Courchevel off piste snowboard guide recommendations
- Tignes. Help!!
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2019 GONEboarding.co.uk