Jib board sizing query

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   photogeeza   On:   Friday 07/06/2019 @ 19:43 Show Newest First    
photogeeza
Cornwall
  #1  Jib board sizing query  Posted 07/06/2019 @ 19:43
Revision #1 (Last edited: 07/06/2019 @ 19:46)
Hi all,

Looking to get a jib specific board but wondering about what length to go for.

I'm 80kg, or 75lbs or 12.5 stone and 175cm or 5'9" tall, I've put on a bit of timber lately but unfortunately i've not gotten any taller !! ????

Intermediate rider can hoon it at mach 1 on corduroy if so desired but get a little bored with that and if not in the trees I love jibbing and flatland tricks.

I know a shorter deck is less swing weight but what my question is apart from what size to go for is do you jibbers prefer a little longer deck for press stability?

I started to ride a 157cm but due to my instructor who is very good and experienced I have been told to come down to 152cm area, even though the charts recommend 156/157cm for all mountain riding. So is he right? Or am I riding to short a deck ?

I am having a little trouble holding decent presses especially when flatland spinning, my board a Rome artifact is quite soft say a 4 out of 10, am I just a weed in the leg department or would a slightly longer deck of say 154cm help project my weight into the further off centre nose or tail.

Any thought would be much appriciate.

Oh yeah and if you have any board recommendation that would be good to discuss, looking at Arbor Draft or Lib tech box scratcher at the moment.

Cheers ??
          Reload  Top
meth mouth
London
  #2  Re: Jib board sizing query  Posted 16/06/2019 @ 11:38
Revision #1 (Last edited: 16/06/2019 @ 11:39)
In reply to post #1...
Hi fella jib/ park boards have different characteristics like some have softer nose/ tails but are stiffer in the middle for a little all mountain riding, some are just a plain noodle and some are stiffer throughout and need more work to press and butter but have more pop for jumps etc. Going longer or shorter can be a false economy - go for the board that measures up and at the length where your 80kgs lands in the middle. So for instance the
arbor draft is not an all out jib board, it is cambered which is more suited to all mountain freestyle and may or may not work for you for flatland fun. The box scratcher may suit you better and at 154 would be perfect. Does that make sense?
          Reload  Top
photogeeza
Cornwall
  #3  Re: Jib board sizing query  Posted 16/06/2019 @ 12:43
In reply to post #2...
Hi Meth Mouth,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it makes perfect sense what you are saying and I also think the box scratcher in a 154 is about the right size for me to continue to learn how to spread butter.

What I don't understand is the rational behind board manufacturers board size charts, good point what you say about size of board in regard to style of board etc i.e. what it is being used for. a

As is often the case with manufacturer board sizing charts apparently I should buy the 157cm the largest board in the range, it states that anyone over 120lbs which is 8.5stone should be on the 157cm largest board, which to me doesnt make sense because most average weight riders will weigh more than 8.5 stone when they are 14 years old and if this is correct then surely the manufacturer should make an even bigger/longer board for the average weight rider and those above that weight because the average rider is half as heavy again as a 8.5 stone rider.

Then again I've got other quality riders, good instructors saying go shorter which is the complete opposite direction to the board manufacturers recomendations, hench my query here.

Appriciate anyones thoughts on this.

Cheers
          Reload  Top
meth mouth
London
  #4  Re: Jib board sizing query  Posted 19/06/2019 @ 12:57
In reply to post #3...
The recent trend of manufacturers recommending longer boards is to do with broken snowboard returns from what I understand. So again its down to preference, if you only have one board then you would need the longer board for its versatility but a shorter board would be easier to press though again its depends on the snowboard.
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Jib board sizing query
- Looking for advice!
- Anyone looking for Snowboard cross training and competition
- Holiday comp
- Feeling low energy
- True Freedom 163 Board
- Epic Pass On Sale
- Package or DIY
- Best board for carving/ charging hard
- Capita Quality??
- buying first gear
- What's my next board after 12 years on a Rome Anthem?
- EasyJet £10 carriage for sports equipment.
- last minute .... les 2 alpes 16-23 March
- Last Minute Powder Trip Junkies!
- Bindings too big? Please help!
- Rear toe overhang on freeride board
- Best ladies beginner board?
- Courchevel off piste snowboard guide recommendations
- Tignes. Help!!
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2019 GONEboarding.co.uk