I had my first lesson yesterday

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   Doogerie   On:   Tuesday 27/03/2018 @ 10:53 Show Newest First    
Doogerie
Berkshire
  #1  I had my first lesson yesterday  Posted 27/03/2018 @ 10:53
Revision #1 (Last edited: 27/03/2018 @ 10:54)
And I got to say...Wow what a sport, I started of a little tentatively but by the end I was going a good speed and going from one side of the slope to the other on my heal edge.

I am stiff this morning and was exhausted after my lesson (it was a warm morning) but I LOVED it. I can't wait for my next lesson.
          Reload  Top
oldgit
Hampshire
  #2  Re: I had my first lesson yesterday  Posted 27/03/2018 @ 22:29
Well done. It’s rather addictive. I’m still going at the tender age of 60 !
          Reload  Top
gyro247
West Yorkshire
  #3  Re: I had my first lesson yesterday  Posted 29/03/2018 @ 09:12
In reply to post #1...
Good lad

Glad to hear you enjoyed it and it sounds like your getting the hang of it.

Working on flexibility will help with the day after.....and the day after stiffness (but to be honest it's something we all get).

Keep going and keep us updated with you progress.

Enjoy
          Reload  Top
Doogerie
Berkshire
  #4  Re: I had my first lesson yesterday  Posted 30/03/2018 @ 09:56
In reply to post #3...
i will do i notced when i was going up the Pommer (button lift) it really hurt mt foot fine once got off the lift but going up hurts is that normal have you goy any ideas on how to fix that I am only using rental boots at the moment do you think that may be th issue?
          Reload  Top
oldgit
Hampshire
  #5  Re: I had my first lesson yesterday  Posted 31/03/2018 @ 20:38
In reply to post #4...
It’s normal for me and may others. Something to do with the way the button lift Pulls more on you front leg perhaps. To minimise keep a good stance with hips and body parallel to the board. Don’t twist your body up the slope.
          Reload  Top
Doogerie
Berkshire
  #6  Re: I had my first lesson yesterday  Posted 03/04/2018 @ 11:01
In reply to post #5...
i am tring to do that
          Reload  Top
gyro247
West Yorkshire
  #7  Re: I had my first lesson yesterday  Posted 03/04/2018 @ 15:56
In reply to post #6...
Yup I think we pretty much all go through that and many still do.

If your learning (we are all still learning) you will be a bit tense on the Pomma which makes it worse. As you improve / relax more it will get easier and less painful. Hire boots may have a little to do with it but honestly not much. I know its easy to say and not so easy to do but try and relax as much as you can. Like most everything snowboarding it takes time and sometimes it hurts.
          Reload  Top
FruityWax
Worcestershire
  #8  Re: I had my first lesson yesterday  Posted 03/04/2018 @ 22:29
In reply to post #4...
Keep it up

I get a bit of pain in the front foot on the button lifts.
I find a good way is try and take a bit of weight (from the pulling) with your arms. One high up the pole and one where the button hooks under your leg. Then try and lean back a bit to put more weight on the back foot. ....and relax too...

...alternatively when you do get to a resort you can just use the chair lifts..
          Reload  Top
Doogerie
Berkshire
  #9  Re: I had my first lesson yesterday  Posted 04/04/2018 @ 13:53
In reply to post #8...
I got my next lesson booked for Sunday rain until 2 when it will drizzel on slope at 3.30 good times
          Reload  Top
PowderPup
Hampshire
  #10  Re: I had my first lesson yesterday  Posted 13/04/2018 @ 22:53
In reply to post #9...
98.9% of UK Snowboarders do button lifts wrong and they complain about how hard they are and how much pull they get through their lead legs.

Convention is a wide stance with the stomp pad near the rear binding. This basically causes all the effort to be forced through the front leg with sideways force. Counter to body dynamics.

I do the complete opposite.

My stomp bad is right up next to my front binding. I face forward with my hips so the poma sits comfortably on my butt.

Having my rear leg up against my front binding and facing forward much like a mono ski means my front binding takes some of the load on my rear leg. So im comfortable and both legs take the load from the front and not the side.

For me button/Poma lifts are a breeze, even relaxing. I actively search them out in resorts as the off-piste around drags attracts less traffic which = more powder for me.
Snowboarding ruined my life
          Reload  Top
philw
UK - England
  #11  Re: I had my first lesson yesterday  Posted 14/04/2018 @ 13:58
In reply to post #10...
I don't use stomp pads, which are for wussies, and generally ride with my back foot next to my front as described. Occasionally I'll put it on the rear binding, if that gives better balance in tricky situations.

My favourite lifts are those where you get air at the start, or the ones with downhill bends in them. There's a steep one at the top of Lake Louise where you seldom see any boarders: it's not a place you'd want to fall.

Really I think it's just a skill issue; I'm sure there are lots of ways to do it, you just have to practice a bit.
powder mountain   Facts about snowboarding safety
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Booking a hoilday
- Mesh in the jacket snow cuff - normal?
- Just Finished Snow Dice for Android
- I had my first lesson yesterday
- Linking my turns - dry slope
- Beginner Board Selection - Again Probably....Sorry!
- Advice on which board to buy, not technically a beginner but its been a while.
- What's your favorite shredding lingo?
- Snowboard binding digging into little toe :(
- alitude sickness
- Very Rare Promo Sims Fader Vivid Video Cassidey Snowboard
- Why did you start snowbording?
- Boots for feet with high arches???
- Looking for Burton Photon BOA boots
- Last Snow Of The Winter
- Tamworth Snowdome 2018 Condition?
- My workout is i good for bording
- Broken BOA coiler
- Capatcha version expiring