Helmet or not?

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   robo22sri   On:   Thursday 05/01/2012 @ 16:05 Show Newest First    
rclifton4
Essex
  #16  Re: Helmet or not?  Posted 05/01/2012 @ 20:30
In reply to post #15...
I bought a helmet the 1st time i went, as did my friend. I always wore because i have shocking luck in most things lol, he didnt wear his at all saying he wanted to look trendier........... until he saw a skiier run into me! I tumbled and spanked my head on the side of the trial. I didnt feel a thing and didnt realise how much my head made contact until i saw a load of scratches where it had bounced a couple of times.

Bottom line is he wore his helmet ever since and if i hadnt of worn it i would of got a serious concussion AT THE VERY LEAST! For the sake of £50 i say its a no brainer!
====================================
All Mountain:
2012 K2 Raygun Board 157w
2012 Ride EX Bindings

Park/Freestyle:
2013 Rome Artifact 155w Board
2013 Ride Rodeo Bindings

2011 DC Scout Boa Boots
          Reload  Top
itsgot
  #17  Re: Helmet or not?  Posted 05/01/2012 @ 20:31
In reply to post #15...
a mate fractured his skull and he'd got about 20 weeks riding under his belt at the time, i never ride without a helmet now, plus it has headphones, keeps me warm n keeps my goggles on if i stack it off a jump

imo if your a noob wear a helmet cos it's just pot luck whether someone faster will slam into the back of you one day

if your pro then presumably you do some park laps and tree runs so wear a helmet. If you 'sometimes' wear a helmet that's bs, you can't plan what ur gonna ride in the day unless your mad boring, n even if u are that guy ur still gonna be cruising at 60mph down the side of a mountain, makes sense to wear a lid

was talking to a guy on the black park lift in blackcomb once n he was hitting the 60foot booters in a beanie, seemed to think the time's he'd had concussion were awesome stories
          Reload  Top
fatbob
Forum Mod
Nottinghamshire
  #18  Re: Helmet or not?  Posted 05/01/2012 @ 23:11
The people not wearing lids snowboarding are probably the same people not wearing them when cycling. Crazy IMO.
Clicky here to donate to our 9 day LEJOG ride for Christian Aid and Disability Snowsports UK
Use the code LZP12 at Proskins for 10% off and 10% to Christian Aid
Love Snow
The Rider Social Chatel
          Reload  Top
Master_Betty
  #19  Re: Helmet or not?  Posted 05/01/2012 @ 23:47
In reply to post #1...
I dont go fast either but am only able to type this reply because I wear a helmet when boarding. First holiday away a couple of years ago, caught edge on icy track and slammed the back of my head into the ground. Nearly knocked myself out even with a helmet on. Only the day before Id gone out without a helmet as 'it looks cooler'. Lesson learnt the easy way.
          Reload  Top
wildebeest
Isle of Tiree
  #20  Re: Helmet or not?  Posted 05/01/2012 @ 23:51
Says it all really

http://www.goneboarding.co.uk/gallery/scorpion-board-slice-to-the-head-3-5-inches-21/photoid/4910/showphoto.aspx
www.neversummer.com
          Reload  Top
mini
Site Admin
South Yorkshire
  #21  Re: Helmet or not?  Posted 05/01/2012 @ 23:55
In reply to post #20...
bit of a no brainer really aint it.

cool is something the uneducated worry about.
www.shredcamps.co.uk.
www.circleofshred.co.uk
www.bradiezimmer.co.uk

My Sticker Shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/shredcamps_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
          Reload  Top
philw
UK - England
  #22  Re: Helmet or not?  Posted 06/01/2012 @ 01:41
In reply to post #18...

QUOTE (fatbob - 05/01/2012 @ 23:11)

The people not wearing lids snowboarding are probably the same people not wearing them when cycling. Crazy IMO.

Incorrect on both counts.

Certainly you'd be safer walking to the corner shop wearing a helmet. Wearing a helmet would hardly make it more dangerous, so the un-crazy-thing to do would seem to be pretty clear there.

Most people assess the risks of accidents whilst walking on the pavement, and many decide that a helmet isn't actually sensible in those circumstances, despite the increased risk of walking versus cycling (google it down if you don't believe me, but as with all statistics, it's complicated).

Snowboarders already assess the risks of snowboarding versus skiing and snowboard despite the increased risks. I've no issue with that, and no issue with how you decide to ameliorate your risks. I'm also not crazy.
powder mountain   photography    CoC   work   Facts about snowboarding safety
          Reload  Top
fatbob
Forum Mod
Nottinghamshire
  #23  Re: Helmet or not?  Posted 06/01/2012 @ 08:12
In reply to post #22...
Not incorrect, it's my opinion as in the term IMO. Why take the risk? I'll never cycle without a helmet and I'll also never snowboard down a mountain without one.
Clicky here to donate to our 9 day LEJOG ride for Christian Aid and Disability Snowsports UK
Love Snow
The Rider Social Chatel
          Reload  Top
CookieB
South Yorkshire
  #24  Re: Helmet or not?  Posted 06/01/2012 @ 08:53
Revision #1 (Last edited: 06/01/2012 @ 08:58)
In reply to post #1...
I would say absolutely yes matey, i got too cocky last year in snow park on a thinner
rail and ended up whacking the back of my melon as i exited the rail upside down.

Won't be making the same mistake this trip, so off at weekend to purchase
for next weeks trip. Thinking of a Salomon or Scott one, think it would be a wise investment deffo.

On a side note.. might seem like common sense info, but make sure you get the absolute correct size as getting one too big / small is almost as bad as not having one on.
          Reload  Top
dants
North Yorkshire
  #25  Re: Helmet or not?  Posted 06/01/2012 @ 10:01
In reply to post #24...
Really it's a matter of choice that riders need to make based on an educated understanding of risk (i.e several weeks experience). If it's a spring day and all I'm doing is a spot of leisurely cruising well inside the comfort zone then the helmet will probably come off, just as in the Summer I did a 3 day charity bike ride with much slower cyclists and ended up clipping the helmet on the luggage rack. However I'd say I have my helmet on for 90% of board and cycling activities.

I appreciate that I could be hit by an out of control border, just as I could be hit by a car on the way in to town on my bike, but that's a risk I understand and am happy to take.

Just as an aside, am I the only person that finds it a little irresponsible that riders with a high degree of influence are filmed / photographed without helmets on sponsored shoots?
          Reload  Top
TINRIB mk2
Gloucestershire
  #26  Re: Helmet or not?  Posted 06/01/2012 @ 10:13
Revision #1 (Last edited: 06/01/2012 @ 10:14)
In reply to post #25...
Helmets are getting alot more common tho on the slopes and even in some recent snowboarding films. Personaly ive never worn a helmet, i did once but it didnt feel comfortable after wearing it a while, so i gave up on it. Ive bought one for this season tho as ill mainly be riding the parks and know for a fact ill be falling on my ass more so than not as i want to learn new stuff so am taking a few precautions. No doubt when im just gonna have a lazy day cruising with some tunes on ill probalby not wear it but that doesnt make me crazy. At the end of the day its your choice same if your riding your bike. I do DH mountain biking and wear a full face helmet as theres a high risk of having a big off. But for my comute to work i rarely wear one although i probably should, maybe i am crazy
SHAKE AND BAKE........
          Reload  Top
fatbob
Forum Mod
Nottinghamshire
  #27  Re: Helmet or not?  Posted 06/01/2012 @ 10:30
As I said it's my opinion. You're crazy!

I'd rather eliminate the risk of even a minor fail causing me damage to one of the most valuable parts of your body. It's also not just you, it's other slope and road users. In just 6 months on my bike I've had a bottle of water thrown at me by a passing car and been cut up by a taxi.
Love Snow
The Rider Social Chatel
          Reload  Top
wildebeest
Isle of Tiree
  #28  Re: Helmet or not?  Posted 06/01/2012 @ 12:07
In reply to post #25...

QUOTE (dants - 06/01/2012 @ 10:01)

Just as an aside, am I the only person that finds it a little irresponsible that riders with a high degree of influence are filmed / photographed without helmets on sponsored shoots?

Much like Taxi drivers not wearing seatbelts because they're "professionals" when they probably do a hell of a lot more miles than any other driver on the road. The pro snowboarders are pulling more risky tricks with bigger consequences. That said a lot of the big hill riders in Art of flight - maybe because it's more convenient to mount the helmet cam there!
www.neversummer.com
          Reload  Top
bobsy852
Lancashire
  #29  Re: Helmet or not?  Posted 06/01/2012 @ 12:33
In reply to post #28...
I wear mine abroad as although I agree it's cooler without, as much as I trust my self not to do anything stupid, on a big busy mountain I can't trust everyone else! And I'll always wear it when doing park stuff!
As for it not looking cool, I bought the rest of my gear/snowboard to look cool, the helmet IMO will never look cool so I bought a cheapo one, stuck a load of stickers on it and that'll have to do! I'll look cooler with that on than I will in a hospital bed!
This isn't snowboarding....this is falling...WITH STYLE!

2011/12 Forum Destroyer Doubledog 152
2011/12 Ride Ill Eagle Contrabands
2010/11 ThirtyTwo Lashed FastTrack boots
          Reload  Top
MilliM
London
  #30  Re: Helmet or not?  Posted 06/01/2012 @ 15:34
In reply to post #1...
Absolutely! I wouldnt dare ride without my Red Trace helmet. I see people without a hlemet and I think they look daft, mines bright blue, I'm seen in it and I paid £50 for it. It'll save my life one day I'm sure. Plus, it doesnt take much of a knock to turn you into a cabbage.
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- St Anton 25th feb catered chalet 7 nights
- Gb stickers
- Snow chains
- Snowboard Proposal
- What are the Major Reasons Behind the Prevailing Importance of Jewellery
- Need suggestion
- Helmet or not?
- Off boarding Sat 11 November 2017 Castleford
- 6 year old newbie
- Burton step on photon boot uk 7.5 swap for uk 8.
- Guinness snowboard unused whats it worth
- Colorado, which resort?
- Can you help me out!!
- Snowboard boots comfort
- Snowboard boots comfort
- JAPAN Airlines - snowboard carriage/baggage help!?
- Snow mates gathering for 2018 trips, Expanding the network with winter sports!
- Sites for season accomodation Austria
- Labourer's wanted Bulgaria
- Snowboarding in November
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2017 GONEboarding.co.uk