Gone Boarding Forum

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   Gari14   On:   Sunday 06/11/2016 @ 15:18 Show Newest First    
Gari14
Berkshire
  #16  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 08/11/2016 @ 18:22
In reply to post #15...

QUOTE (Flinnster - 08/11/2016 @ 17:01)

Yeah totally, I always remember what it was like at the start. Luckilly I had lessons in a large group and had a great group of riders who went to the indoor domes weekly straight away, we know others don't have that.

For me what's gone is the aspirational stuff.. the road trip stories and so on, MikePow's posts on hiking up welsh hills at 4am to get the first/only epic line of the season, and that kind of thing! And those can be enjoyed by people of all levels.

Yeah, stuff from the likes of MikePow were awesome to read and its a shame that those type of stories have totally vanished from the GB forums (or so it seems). Does Mike still post on the boards?

QUOTE (Flinnster - 08/11/2016 @ 17:01)

Anyway if anyone fancies a meet up at Hemel (preferably a freestyle evening), just shout.

I might take you up on that offer as Im planning on making a trip to Hemel at some point as Ive not been there yet. Lack of time is my biggest problem but when I do finally end up going, ill give you a shout. I used to go to the Milton Keynes Snowdome but that place isn't as good as it was before and Ive been told Hemel is awesome, so Im going to switch to there in the future.
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #17  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 08/11/2016 @ 19:00
In reply to post #16...
Better snow tech than MK (lighter, less oily), but huge amounts of people on general peak times at this time of year as everyone gets their 'refresher slide' in before going away on trips.
I usually try to head up on evening board nights or when they have some price offers
For Sale:
- HangTime Snowboard Wall Mounts in black or white colours. £25 including UK postage. Just send me a message, or see the classifieds section!
- Giro Basis Goggles (White frame, black strap, gold flowers design, gold / amber lens) £75. See the classifieds section for photos!
          Reload  Top
Gari14
Berkshire
  #18  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 08/11/2016 @ 20:00
In reply to post #17...

QUOTE (Flinnster - 08/11/2016 @ 19:00)

Better snow tech than MK (lighter, less oily), but huge amounts of people on general peak times at this time of year as everyone gets their 'refresher slide' in before going away on trips.
I usually try to head up on evening board nights or when they have some price offers

Thanks for the heads up mate. Ill keep that in mind when I make arrangements to go.
          Reload  Top
winterfunman
Lincolnshire
  #19  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 08/11/2016 @ 21:04
In reply to post #15...
I rode at MK last week , one run , snow grey and full of diesel fumes from snow makers, got a full refund.
A few mates stayed on for about 1/2 hr , then got a voucher for a free 2 hr session later in the next week

SHITEST snow I have ever tried to ride on

Hemel is by far the best snow in Uk , but still occasionally has issues too

ANYWAY less than 8 weeks then 4 months of fun in the snow for me
we r only here for a short time , live life to the full every day

BANSKO Bespokje holiday

www.bansko-sports.com

enquiries@bansko-sports.com
          Reload  Top
Gari14
Berkshire
  #20  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 08/11/2016 @ 21:19
In reply to post #19...

QUOTE (winterfunman - 08/11/2016 @ 21:04)

I rode at MK last week , one run , snow grey and full of diesel fumes from snow makers, got a full refund.
A few mates stayed on for about 1/2 hr , then got a voucher for a free 2 hr session later in the next week

SHITEST snow I have ever tried to ride on

Hemel is by far the best snow in Uk , but still occasionally has issues too

ANYWAY less than 8 weeks then 4 months of fun in the snow for me

A friend of mine went last month to MK and said it was awful as well. When it first opened, it was a lot better than it is now and the ownership of the place clearly don't care at all which is a shame. Saying that, Hemel is actually closer to me anyway, so its a win win but for those that live in or near MK, its such a shame.

4 months in the snow! You lucky swine!
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #21  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 09/11/2016 @ 00:38
Revision #1 (Last edited: 09/11/2016 @ 00:43)
In reply to post #20...
Big shame really. Thanks for the heads up on the recent state of play at MK.
Having said that, all of these facilities do age over time. It costs a bomb to refurb them every few years.

Tamworth went through a particularly low point in the late 90's with very little cash and there was insulation hanging from the roof and it was perpetually foggy in there, as the ice was evaporating! In summer, I recall riding on brown solid ice - brown because you could see the solid concrete below.
(That wouldn't have stopped Xavier De La Rue though eh? He'd have pointed the nose straight down and treated it like a frozen waterfall!)

Now Hemel when it first opened had actual powder! Shame that didn't last
For Sale:
- HangTime Snowboard Wall Mounts in black or white colours. £25 including UK postage. Just send me a message, or see the classifieds section!
- Giro Basis Goggles (White frame, black strap, gold flowers design, gold / amber lens) £75. See the classifieds section for photos!
          Reload  Top
Gari14
Berkshire
  #22  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 09/11/2016 @ 08:17
In reply to post #21...

QUOTE (Flinnster - 09/11/2016 @ 00:38)

Big shame really. Thanks for the heads up on the recent state of play at MK.
Having said that, all of these facilities do age over time. It costs a bomb to refurb them every few years.

Tamworth went through a particularly low point in the late 90's with very little cash and there was insulation hanging from the roof and it was perpetually foggy in there, as the ice was evaporating! In summer, I recall riding on brown solid ice - brown because you could see the solid concrete below.
(That wouldn't have stopped Xavier De La Rue though eh? He'd have pointed the nose straight down and treated it like a frozen waterfall!)

Now Hemel when it first opened had actual powder! Shame that didn't last

Agreed. It must cost an absolute fortune to renovate these places when they need a lot of work. From what I've heard, the snow dome at MK is barely making any money which if true, doesn't help either.

We'll probably be talking about Hemel in 10 years and how bad it's become. Hopefully not though.
          Reload  Top
PowderPup
Hampshire
  #23  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 11/11/2016 @ 20:35
In reply to post #22...
Also Wintersports are in decline and Snowboarding is having a dip in popularity. Agreed was more going on with people doing season's or big trips or road trips that made this forum an great place for informative chats.

Lets hope things pickup when the season gets going but with fall in the value of the pound many may see snow sliding as a luxury that has to be cut back for now
Snowboarding ruined my life
          Reload  Top
Gari14
Berkshire
  #24  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 11/11/2016 @ 23:19
In reply to post #23...

QUOTE (PowderPup - 11/11/2016 @ 20:35)

Also Wintersports are in decline and Snowboarding is having a dip in popularity. Agreed was more going on with people doing season's or big trips or road trips that made this forum an great place for informative chats.

Lets hope things pickup when the season gets going but with fall in the value of the pound many may see snow sliding as a luxury that has to be cut back for now

Someone else told me that boarding and wintersports in general was in decline as well. Lack of money and people moving on to other things is probably a couple of reasons why its dipped.

Yeah, hopefully it'll pick up when everyone is back out there shredding
          Reload  Top
cantridepete
France
  #25  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 16/11/2016 @ 13:31
In reply to post #24...
killed by facebook and reddit I reckon.

scuk is the same, the only new posts over there are basically about the scuk bash. if they didn't do the bash I don't think anyone would post at all.
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #26  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 16/11/2016 @ 18:33
In reply to post #25...
Ads are slow. Facebook + ads is even slower (on my old PC!).
What's reddit like? any good?
For Sale:
          Reload  Top
cantridepete
France
  #27  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 17/11/2016 @ 12:16
In reply to post #26...
https://www.reddit.com/r/snowboarding/

its ok, mainly US but plenty of posts
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- GoPro flat mounts for sale
- Jib board sizing query
- Looking for advice!
- Anyone looking for Snowboard cross training and competition
- Holiday comp
- Feeling low energy
- True Freedom 163 Board
- Epic Pass On Sale
- Package or DIY
- Best board for carving/ charging hard
- Capita Quality??
- buying first gear
- What's my next board after 12 years on a Rome Anthem?
- EasyJet £10 carriage for sports equipment.
- last minute .... les 2 alpes 16-23 March
- Last Minute Powder Trip Junkies!
- Bindings too big? Please help!
- Rear toe overhang on freeride board
- Best ladies beginner board?
- Courchevel off piste snowboard guide recommendations
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2019 GONEboarding.co.uk