Gone Boarding Forum

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   Gari14   On:   Sunday 06/11/2016 @ 15:18 Show Newest First    
Gari14
Berkshire
  #1  Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 06/11/2016 @ 15:18
Hi guys,

Whats happened to the forums lately? as it seems really quiet compared to what it used to. Maybe its just me, but most members seemed to have moved on and now don't post as much as usual. Last night for example, I was the only member online for around 3 hours which surprised me. When I joined GB back in 2011, it was very busy on the forums with a lot of interaction between members/threads etc, but it doesn't seem to have that now.

I hope it improves once the season kicks in more.
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #2  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 06/11/2016 @ 17:56
In reply to post #1...
I think the over-use of adverts has slowed down the forum for a lot of people, especially on mobile, so they've turned to chatting about boarding elsewhere. I have to say embedding an ad within the conversation seems a lot more intrusive than banners at the top and sides.

Also stuff like google + facebook groups have developed in the last couple of years, meaning the love is now spread across a wider variety of sites. Shame.
For Sale:
- HangTime Snowboard Wall Mounts in black or white colours. £25 including UK postage. Just send me a message, or see the classifieds section!
- Giro Basis Goggles (White frame, black strap, gold flowers design, gold / amber lens) £75. See the classifieds section for photos!
          Reload  Top
Gari14
Berkshire
  #3  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 06/11/2016 @ 18:18
In reply to post #2...

QUOTE (Flinnster - 06/11/2016 @ 17:56)

I think the over-use of adverts has slowed down the forum for a lot of people, especially on mobile, so they've turned to chatting about boarding elsewhere. I have to say embedding an ad within the conversation seems a lot more intrusive than banners at the top and sides.

Also stuff like google + facebook groups have developed in the last couple of years, meaning the love is now spread across a wider variety of sites. Shame.

Yeah, I think youre right to be honest as the amount of ads on each page now is insane and when trying to view the forums on my phone, its so cumbersome. Its a shame that a lot of people have moved on as this used to be a great place to be and to talk with fellow boarders. Maybe ill have to look elsewhere as well soon which would be a shame.
          Reload  Top
winterfunman
Lincolnshire
  #4  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 06/11/2016 @ 20:17
In reply to post #3...
Hey Gari14 back, totally agree with you .
So quiet , same on SCUK too .

And as other's say , FB and the like do seem to of taken over .
BUT the ads are a real pain in the ass flashing up etc .

Yes I know it brings revenue in , but a limit or opt out would be nice

Happy snowboarding everyone
we r only here for a short time , live life to the full every day

BANSKO Apartment deals see below:

http://www.alexander-apartment-bansko.com

info@alexander-apartment-bansko.com
          Reload  Top
Gari14
Berkshire
  #5  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 06/11/2016 @ 21:01
In reply to post #4...

QUOTE (winterfunman - 06/11/2016 @ 20:17)

Hey Gari14 back, totally agree with you .
So quiet , same on SCUK too .

And as other's say , FB and the like do seem to of taken over .
BUT the ads are a real pain in the ass flashing up etc .

Yes I know it brings revenue in , but a limit or opt out would be nice

Happy snowboarding everyone

Hey man!

Its so frustrating as this place used to be so good and I feel sad that its come to what it has now. I wish it would get back to how it was, but I cant see that happening

While I use FB for general stuff, I would much rather use the GB forums for my boarding discussions to likeminded peeps as its all set up and familiar.
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #6  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 07/11/2016 @ 00:52
Revision #1 (Last edited: 07/11/2016 @ 00:53)
In reply to post #5...
Yep, not a lover of Facebook either, I would rather stick to the forums, but then I'm probably just stuck in my ways!

I have to say I've had some of my best snowboarding experiences purely due to people I met on this site. It would be a shame if that can't continue.
For Sale:
- HangTime Snowboard Wall Mounts in black or white colours. £25 including UK postage. Just send me a message, or see the classifieds section!
- Giro Basis Goggles (White frame, black strap, gold flowers design, gold / amber lens) £75. See the classifieds section for photos!
          Reload  Top
Gari14
Berkshire
  #7  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 07/11/2016 @ 07:45
In reply to post #6...

QUOTE (Flinnster - 07/11/2016 @ 00:52)

Yep, not a lover of Facebook either, I would rather stick to the forums, but then I'm probably just stuck in my ways!

I have to say I've had some of my best snowboarding experiences purely due to people I met on this site. It would be a shame if that can't continue.

You and me both lol

I totally agree and I've met some peeps on here that I'd call friends and that helped me when I was starting to snowboard. Such a shame that most have moved on
          Reload  Top
russ295
Forum Mod
Tyne & Wear
  #8  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 07/11/2016 @ 08:02
In reply to post #7...
It's been very quiet during the summer for a few years now. Winter picks up but most of it is "what to buy/where to go" threads, the good discussions seem to have moved elsewhere. FB probably.
Sad but inevitable I feel. That Zucker fella has a lot to answer for!
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #9  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 07/11/2016 @ 11:15
In reply to post #8...
There also seemed to be an awful lot of 'I'm a marketing student, fill in my questionaiire' kinda posts, and a plethora of 'will it snow in Bansko on 14th March?', along with 'I don't know what snowboard to buy in the shop, what should I do?' stuff.

This turns the more serious folk away really, who want to be talking about good off-piste routes, or the latest split-boards and that kind of thing. Seems there's quite a large disconnect between the different levels. Yet we were all beginners at one point.
For Sale:
          Reload  Top
russ295
Forum Mod
Tyne & Wear
  #10  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 07/11/2016 @ 11:20
In reply to post #9...
There's a lot more of the marketing tosh than you think! I reject more than I let through! It's only the ones that ask nicely that's allowed
          Reload  Top
winterfunman
Lincolnshire
  #11  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 07/11/2016 @ 19:12
In reply to post #9...
It ALWAYS snows in Bansko on March 14th
we r only here for a short time , live life to the full every day

BANSKO Apartment deals see below:

http://www.alexander-apartment-bansko.com

info@alexander-apartment-bansko.com
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #12  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 07/11/2016 @ 19:31
In reply to post #11...
I'm wearing a Burton soft-shell jacket. When I go up a mountain, like right to the top, will I be cold?
For Sale:
          Reload  Top
Gari14
Berkshire
  #13  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 07/11/2016 @ 22:24

QUOTE ( - 01/01/0001 @ 00:00)

It's been very quiet during the summer for a few years now. Winter picks up but most of it is "what to buy/where to go" threads, the good discussions seem to have moved elsewhere. FB probably.
Sad but inevitable I feel. That Zucker fella has a lot to answer for!

He sure does!

Fingers crossed that once the winter kicks in, it'll pick up like you say. It probably wont get as busy as it once was, but anything is better than how it is at the moment.

QUOTE ( - 01/01/0001 @ 00:00)

There also seemed to be an awful lot of 'I'm a marketing student, fill in my questionaiire' kinda posts, and a plethora of 'will it snow in Bansko on 14th March?', along with 'I don't know what snowboard to buy in the shop, what should I do?' stuff.

This turns the more serious folk away really, who want to be talking about good off-piste routes, or the latest split-boards and that kind of thing. Seems there's quite a large disconnect between the different levels. Yet we were all beginners at one point.

Yeah, you're right on both accounts. The problem is, that while the more experienced riders want to talk mainly about the more technical aspects, there will always be people that are new to the sport that want advice and guidance on certain aspects within the sport and I can understand that. There used to be a good balance of newcomers asking for advice style posts and the experienced peeps asking about off-piste routes for example when I joined in 2011, but that seems to have totally gone now. Like you said, we were all starting out once so we all have to take the rough with the smooth.
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #14  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 08/11/2016 @ 11:05
Revision #2 (Last edited: 08/11/2016 @ 11:06)
In reply to post #13...
Yeah totally, I always remember what it was like at the start. Luckilly I had lessons in a large group and had a great group of riders who went to the indoor domes weekly straight away, we know others don't have that.

For me what's gone is the aspirational stuff.. the road trip stories and so on, MikePow's posts on hiking up welsh hills at 4am to get the first/only epic line of the season, and that kind of thing! And those can be enjoyed by people of all levels.
For Sale:
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #15  Re: Gone Boarding Forum  Posted 08/11/2016 @ 17:01
In reply to post #14...
Anyway if anyone fancies a meet up at Hemel (preferably a freestyle evening), just shout.
For Sale:
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- St Anton 25th feb catered chalet 7 nights
- Gb stickers
- Snow chains
- Snowboard Proposal
- What are the Major Reasons Behind the Prevailing Importance of Jewellery
- Need suggestion
- Helmet or not?
- Off boarding Sat 11 November 2017 Castleford
- 6 year old newbie
- Burton step on photon boot uk 7.5 swap for uk 8.
- Guinness snowboard unused whats it worth
- Colorado, which resort?
- Can you help me out!!
- Snowboard boots comfort
- Snowboard boots comfort
- JAPAN Airlines - snowboard carriage/baggage help!?
- Snow mates gathering for 2018 trips, Expanding the network with winter sports!
- Sites for season accomodation Austria
- Labourer's wanted Bulgaria
- Snowboarding in November
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2017 GONEboarding.co.uk