First lesson at chill factore.

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   Ali.G   On:   Sunday 19/02/2012 @ 19:14 Show Newest First    
Ali.G
  #1  First lesson at chill factore.  Posted 19/02/2012 @ 19:14
I originally booked the 1st level lesson for friday night. but due to a flat tyre i was half an hour late. So when we finaly arrived i had a word with the very helpful guy at the desk and he told me it was only £20 extra for the 3 week course, so i paid the extra and re-booked it for monday night Lucky me.

So guys what should I be prepared for on monday night and what should i take.
so far ive got jacket, trousers, gloves and a hate. ohh and not forgetting my warm socks.

any help and past experiance would be most appreciated.

Many thanks Ali
          Reload  Top
Philbo
Cheshire
  #2  Re: First lesson at chill factore.  Posted 19/02/2012 @ 19:41
In reply to post #1...
The first lesson is just learning edge pressures. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28FIlPOydm8 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2dvb2WPcMs&feature=related is what you'll first be learning which is building muscles in your legs and helping you understand how to stop effectively.

The clothing you've mentioned will be enough. Maybe some padding for your arse too wouldn't go amiss as you will fall over!

Have fun, once the snowboarding bug grabs you it won't let go.
          Reload  Top
fatbob
Forum Mod
Nottinghamshire
  #3  Re: First lesson at chill factore.  Posted 19/02/2012 @ 21:01
In reply to post #2...
Awful videos, wrong terminology and poor technique for demonstration purposes.

They are side slip diagonals. First things you learn are toeside side slips and diagonal side slips followed by heelside side slips and diagonal side slips.

Jacket, waterproof trousers and gloves are essential.
Clicky here to donate to our 9 day LEJOG ride for Christian Aid and Disability Snowsports UK
Use the code LZP12 at Proskins for 10% off and 10% to Christian Aid
Love Snow
The Rider Social Chatel
          Reload  Top
Philbo
Cheshire
  #4  Re: First lesson at chill factore.  Posted 19/02/2012 @ 21:14
In reply to post #3...
Felt they'd give him an idea of what he'd be doing on his first lesson, wasn't attempting to teach him how to do it as thats what the instructor will do on Monday. Oh well.
          Reload  Top
duke_haphazard
Greater Manchester
  #5  Re: First lesson at chill factore.  Posted 19/02/2012 @ 23:43
In reply to post #3...

QUOTE (fatbob - 19/02/2012 @ 21:01)

Awful videos, wrong terminology and poor technique for demonstration purposes.

They are side slip diagonals. First things you learn are toeside side slips and diagonal side slips followed by heelside side slips and diagonal side slips.

Jacket, waterproof trousers and gloves are essential.

That's not what I did a few months back at Chill Factore...

We started off just getting the feel of going in a straight line down on our heel edge first, then moved over to our toe edge.
We moved on to going from side to side whilst on either edge, so we'd go down twice on our heel edge, dropping weight to the right, stopping then back to the left. Followed by the same thing on the toe edge.
Our last few weeks was going from Heel edge to Toe edge, in a J turn type thing. It's quite daunting at first as you have to trust where you are putting your feet and have the right body position.

The teachers over at Chill are really good, so don't feel worried at all when you go, they'll help through any problems you may have
Popping McTwists on Flats
          Reload  Top
D4SEVEN
  #6  Re: First lesson at chill factore.  Posted 19/02/2012 @ 23:51
In reply to post #5...
Firstly, I`m sure you will love your first lesson. In terms of what to expect, you will most likely concentrate on learning heal edge and top edge. Getting used to the feel of the slope under your board, and how moving your front foot up and down will turn the board. Each intructor is different, but I`m sure they will tell you everything you will need to know on the day.

In terms of things to take, If you know anyone else who rides, see if you can borrow there padded shorts, its not a requirement, but does make falling less painful (dont be put off by this as im sure it wont hurt anyway). Maybe take a spare Tee etc to change into after too, as often you can get pretty damp on your first lessons etc. Always nice to drive home dry lol.

Mainly though, just expect to have a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy your day
          Reload  Top
RSP
Clwyd
  #7  Re: First lesson at chill factore.  Posted 20/02/2012 @ 11:08
In reply to post #6...
You have nothing to worry about the guys at chill will certainly look after you and it will soon change your life and you will be a snowaddict!!

This is likely to be what you will be doing or something very similar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiWZvKbC8no&feature=fvst

It terms of kit, cheap waterproof pants and a jacket are a good start if you want to buy or borrow, gloves are a must and hat is if you feel cold.

You can hire pants and jacket from Chill, I think it is around £4 a time if my memory serves me well. After wearing their kit you will maybe get an idea of what you need and not. We did and then bought our own kit when we got hooked.

If you are planning on doing lessons IMO I would get impact shorts I bought mine after I had gone through the lessons and wished I had bought earlier as they do save your bum and give you a bit more confidence, when on the slopes.
If you're not falling over, you are not trying hard enough!!
          Reload  Top
fatbob
Forum Mod
Nottinghamshire
  #8  Re: First lesson at chill factore.  Posted 20/02/2012 @ 11:59
In reply to post #7...

QUOTE (RSP - 20/02/2012 @ 11:08)

This is likely to be what you will be doing or something very similar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiWZvKbC8no&feature=fvst

Now that's more like it.
Clicky here to donate to our 9 day LEJOG ride for Christian Aid and Disability Snowsports UK
Use the code LZP12 at Proskins for 10% off and 10% to Christian Aid
Love Snow
The Rider Social Chatel
          Reload  Top
Ali.G
  #9  Re: First lesson at chill factore.  Posted 21/02/2012 @ 17:42
Hey guys just got chance to post after being late back last night.
The instructor i had was awsomely good and i realy enjoyed it and im realy looking forward to next week! i picked it up fairly fast, but i did have my fair share of falls but all in all i LOVED IT!!!

so next on the to do list is go and try on some boots as the ones i hired killed my feet and they was falling to bits
so hopefully in the coming week i will get to my local shop and try some on.

many thanks Ali
          Reload  Top
duke_haphazard
Greater Manchester
  #10  Re: First lesson at chill factore.  Posted 21/02/2012 @ 17:48
In reply to post #9...
Good to see you enjoyed it.

Haha, yeah the Head boots in Chill are destroyed :D I remember using them and they were so slack :S
Popping McTwists on Flats
          Reload  Top
Xander
Cheshire
  #11  Re: First lesson at chill factore.  Posted 21/02/2012 @ 20:24
In reply to post #10...
I feel sorry for you enjoying your lessons! You'll be addicted like the rest of us in no time
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
  Featured Websites
  TheSnowboardAsylum : The Snowboard Asylum – The UK’s largest range of snowboard hardware and outerwear, from brands including Burton, YES, Bataleon, Jones, Slash and loads more.
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Borovets and bansko
- Group ski vacation
- Tomorrow 22nd dec cairngorm or glenshee
- best place to hire in Morzine in Jan
- Whistler Slope Conditions
- dry slope question
- High School Engineer in Need of Surveys
- Easy riding board - rocker or v-rocker?
- Cut and Shut
- So who's going where? Share the joy!
- Union bindings
- One man, one month, one motor. BC Roadie 14/15
- Snowboard Lessons or Buddies Alpe d'Huez 21/12/14 to 26/12/14
- European snow forecast?
- Recommendation on changing BD/DVD to other format for portable device
- Snowboarding Travel Insurance
- Best All Mountain Board
- Making a splitboard?
- La Plagne Board Schools/Kit hire
- Les Deux Alpes 11/01/15-25/01/15