Faster riding - choppy pistes

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   boarder4274   On:   Sunday 08/01/2017 @ 09:31 Show Newest First    
boarder4274
UK - England
  #2  Faster riding - choppy pistes  Posted 08/01/2017 @ 09:31
A few things have helped me improve my overall speed for general riding:
- Accepting that at faster speeds I probably can't stop on my next turn, it may take two or more.
- Pointing the board down the hill earlier on the steep sections
- Keeping to the edges on steep sections (fewer moguls / less ice) and weaving quickly down.

But I can't work out 'semi-steep choppy terrain'. Some of my mates now fly into it as though it was freshly groomed piste. Anyone got any good tips on dealing with it?
          Reload  Top
philw
UK - England
  #3  Re: Faster riding - choppy pistes  Posted 08/01/2017 @ 14:58
In reply to post #2...
Practice. It's hard to say without watching you ride.

Most novices tend not to use both legs - watch people ride and you can see them appear to kick their back leg around, so their ride looks like straight sections separated by sideslips. That's hard to scale up and ugly to watch. The trick is to more evenly weight both legs with the bindings mounted on the reference stance and turn with the edge.. if you're doing that then within reason speed doesn't make much difference.

Moguls: use them to help you bank and turn. Often the best line is down the middle as all the novices shy away from it.

Ask your mates?

You should be able to stop in one turn at any speed - it's just a "hockey stop". I would practice that so you can have the confidence to ride fast. Knowing how to stop is handy.

Overall I think speed comes with practice, but you have to have the basics dialled. Some habits novices pick up don't work at speed. Lessons are good if that may be the issue.
powder mountain   photography    CoC   work   Facts about snowboarding safety
          Reload  Top
RLCCM
  #4  Re: Faster riding - choppy pistes  Posted 08/01/2017 @ 22:52
In reply to post #3...
I tend to find that bending the knees more to lower your centre of gravity helps, also means the knees can better soak the chop. Also helps if the board is kicked into the air by said chop, as it's less likely then to jump out from underneath you. Generally its easier when you are fresh too, my legs can't take the pounding or most alpine piste's when tired.

That said I totally hate chopped up piste, but then, i generally hate piste! I just had a day on it today... got bored after a short time and went home!
          Reload  Top
Tru Colours
Hertfordshire
  #5  Re: Faster riding - choppy pistes  Posted 09/01/2017 @ 17:19
Revision #1 (Last edited: 09/01/2017 @ 17:23)
In reply to post #2...
Hi mate

As Phil has said it helps to see the rider to diagnose the cause of the problem. That said here are the most common problems:

1)Bend Zee Knees

If there are bumps in the road you need to get the shock absorbers out. If your legs are straight you will get bucked about like a stage coach. A common mistake is to believe you already are bending you knees 100% where as in reality its more like 10%. Really bend those knees, whilst keeping the back straight which leads us too...

2) Body position / balance

Choppy terrain shows up everyone's poor technique. you can charge down a well groomed piste with bad technique and get away with it but as soon as a you hit a bump you're off. Go back to basics and practice on the groomed piste. keep your body aligned with the board throughout the turn; no counter rotation flicks to get the board around and no bending at the waist. Then take it slowly to the choppy stuff, finally increase the speed.

3) extension, flexion and independent leg movement.

This is getting more advanced now, concentrate on the fist two steps and you will be catching your mates in no time. Conquer the third step and you will be leading the pack. Extension and flexion are terms used in snowboard coaching to describe raising your body up and down to initiate turns. On pisted firm snow you raise your body up during the turn, transition on to your new edge and then drive your weight on to your new edge. In powder the method is reversed; applying weight during the turn to push the snow out of the way.

Independent leg movement: Imagine moving directly over the top of a large mogul; your leading foot should lift up first absorbing the bump, then as you move forward you lift up your back foot.

Good luck man, and remember try not to get frusted it's snowboarding it's meant to be fun and it's hard to learn a new skill when you are pissed off.

Rob
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Japan 2018 Help
- Park Footy 16-17
- Ski-Doo
- Chile trip.
- Thirtytwo TM3 boots
- Powder Powder
- Special Holiday Offers for GBers - Regularly updated
- Passion Forge - Rent and stay with those who share your passion
- Reaching out to the snowboarding bloggers community
- Les Deux Alpes/L2A. Summer riding 2017? Park riding - worth it?
- Petite/Short womens trousers
- Need new snowboarding friends
- Help me pick a begginner snowboard gear
- Snowbombing 2017 alone ??!?!?!
- Japan
- Snowskool or Peak Leaders....
- How to Snowboard
- Purchasing new board - sizing concerns
- Shallow cut on board, need repaired?
- Snow dome for teeside?
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address