Boot volume reducers

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   mikeyboy123   On:   Tuesday 18/05/2010 @ 12:48 Show Newest First    
mikeyboy123
  #1  Boot volume reducers  Posted 18/05/2010 @ 12:48
Could anyone please explain what options are available to reduce boot volume. I'm assuming they include things like heel wedges, new insoles or perhaps even new inner boots altogether, but would be grateful for some more info on exactly what options are available and maybe some links.

I use the switch binding system which is no longer available except on ebay every now and then, and my old boots have packed out a bit so are getting a bit loose. I don't want to give up on the switch system as I really like it.

My options are:-

Reduce the volume of my old switch boots.

I have some pretty new Salomon malamutes in the same size as my switch boots - I suppose I could try using the inner boots from them in my switch boots.

I do have the option of getting new switch boots off ebay that are half a size too big for me. Would be interested to know the best way of reducing their volume.

Thanks,
Mike.
          Reload  Top
inactive_16115
  #2  Re: Boot volume reducers  Posted 18/05/2010 @ 14:16
In reply to post #1...
i think you've answered your own question in your first paragraph......
          Reload  Top
Grill
France
  #3  Re: Boot volume reducers  Posted 18/05/2010 @ 18:59
In reply to post #1...
Sidas make volume reducers in 3mm and 6mm. I use 6mm in my boots combined with an overbuilt foot, but this is because I'm used to a ski boot type fit and I always feel too mobile in snowboard boots. I wouldn't recommend trying to work on your current boots as the Switch system is incredibly gash and not worth wasting time on.

Stop being ghey and buy new bindings.
          Reload  Top
mikeyboy123
  #4  Re: Boot volume reducers  Posted 19/05/2010 @ 12:19
In reply to post #3...

QUOTE (Grill - 18/05/2010 @ 18:59)

Sidas make volume reducers in 3mm and 6mm. I use 6mm in my boots combined with an overbuilt foot, but this is because I'm used to a ski boot type fit and I always feel too mobile in snowboard boots. I wouldn't recommend trying to work on your current boots as the Switch system is incredibly gash and not worth wasting time on.

Stop being ghey and buy new bindings.

Thanks for your reply. I like the switch system so I'm gonna stick with it thanks, however gash they may be and however "ghey" that may make me. I've got a Salomon Malamute/SPX 90 combo which I bought a couple of years ago and just couldn't get on with it so I'm not gonna spend another £300 plus on another set when my old Switch system is perfectly good.

Please let's not turn this into another Switch are cr@p/no they're not thread: yawn.

Would be grateful if you could explain what you mean by "overbuilt foot" you mention in your post.

Thanks,

Mike.
          Reload  Top
Grill
France
  #5  Re: Boot volume reducers  Posted 19/05/2010 @ 16:12
In reply to post #4...
I meant footbed. I'm a bootfitter so I'm able to do things with my boots that most people can't. Boots have a finite life and yours are dead. Trying to work on them is akin to putting a bandaid on a broken leg. No respectable fitter will work on dead boots.
          Reload  Top
WhistlerBlckcmb
Canada
  #6  Re: Boot volume reducers  Posted 19/05/2010 @ 23:26
In reply to post #1...
Hi Mike,

Whilst new boots would probably make a world of difference to you, there are definitely options for taking up space in old boots.

Superfeet would be a good start - http://www.superfeet.co.uk/activity/snowboarding.aspx . Get the ones for boots with a removable insole and throw out your old insole. You could also add a flat insole underneath the liner of the boot (as if it were an insole for the outside part of the boot), such as the bontex insole footbed shims on this page - http://tognar.com/boot_heater_warmer_fitting_dryer_canting_dryers_ski_snowboard.html#footbedshims

Pads to go around the ankle bone also help a lot, similar to the Burton J-Bar. A boot fitting shop can make these for you and customise it to the shape you need.

Eliminator tongue shims can also take up a lot of space - http://www.masterfitenterprises.com/eliminator.html

Power straps from ski boots can help if the boot now has too much flex at the top. If you can find some old ski boots you can just take one off of those, or you can buy them from a ski shop.

Hope that helps. I have boot fit troubles every year with my new boots (and then again once they're old at the end of the season!), but a combination of the above works wonders. I would also recommend new boots too though. You won't believe the difference it makes. Maybe you could rent a pair on your next vacation and see if you like them.

All the best,

Hayley @ Whistler Blackcomb
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com
          Reload  Top
Grill
France
  #7  Re: Boot volume reducers  Posted 19/05/2010 @ 23:35
In reply to post #6...
Footbeds typically increase the amount of volume as they stabilize and stop pronation and expansion of the forefoot. They would be beneficial for a better press and added stability but they would not decrease the volume in the boot.
          Reload  Top
mikeyboy123
  #8  Re: Boot volume reducers  Posted 20/05/2010 @ 13:16
In reply to post #7...
Okay, thanks for all your replies. Think I'm gonna get the new switch boots I've seen on ebay. They are half a size too big but hopefully I'll be able to get a good fit with some volume reducing bits and bobs.

I simply can't get on with heel and toe strap bindings so it's either switch or hard boots for me, that's just the way it is.
          Reload  Top
Grill
France
  #9  Re: Boot volume reducers  Posted 20/05/2010 @ 17:15
In reply to post #8...
And they're a size too big! Seriously bro, you're doing more damage to your riding and your feet than you know.
          Reload  Top
boardgirl
Canada
  #10  Re: Boot volume reducers  Posted 20/05/2010 @ 17:24
In reply to post #8...
Have you tried flows then? There are other options to heel and toe strap bindings. And if you bought your spx's a few years ago, bundings have progressed a lot since then and are quite comfortable.

There's a reason they don't make switch bindings/boots anymore...
          Reload  Top
polo
Herefordshire
  #11  Re: Boot volume reducers  Posted 20/05/2010 @ 20:16
In reply to post #10...
Malamute/spx90 combo is super stiff. I just assuming here, but if you're comparing them to a switch setup which is likely to be old and soft I'm hardly surprised you had a shock.

I think you're bonkers to not get a proper boot fitting (and a new set of strap bindings too).
          Reload  Top
mikeyboy123
  #12  Re: Boot volume reducers  Posted 20/05/2010 @ 23:39
In reply to post #11...
Okay, I can't use strap bindings because I get too much pain. My malamutes fit me perfectly, but I get severe pain when I strap myself into the bindings. That's why I don't get on with them, it's not because they're too stiff, it's because of the pressure from the straps. I wanted a stiff set up. I ride a 167 Salomon burner and i ride flat out whenever i can. My Malamute/Spx 90s are only 07/08 models and things haven't moved on that much since then - this season's Salomon Calibers look pretty much the same as my SPX 90s, just a new paint job. So I can't see how buying new strap bindings will help me. I have seen some boots come out lately that seem to have a rigid plastic shell over the toe, maybe this would help but it would cost me about £250 to find out and that still wouldn't address pain from the ankle strap. I seem to have really prominent veins on the top of my foot and they run right across the bony bit. So, I think these veins just get squashed by the pressure from the straps and within minutes my feet are in pain.

I appreciate that you are trying to help and that you have my best interest at heart, and if I was doing a season then yeah, I could spend a lot of time borrowing kit and trying various things out. But I don't have the time and money to spend searching for something which is supposedly better, I've already wasted enough of both. At the end of the day I already have a system which i like and which gives me the performance i want and doesn't kill my feet, but my switch boots are coming to the end of their life. I now have a chance to get some as new boots that are just half a size too big which is why I enquired about volume reduction. Grill says I'll damage my riding and feet by bringing some size 10 boots down by half a size - not as much as trying to ride in constant pain will!

Admittedly, I've not tried flows but as many people slag them as rave about them.

I have even considered using hard boots and plate bindings with something like a Donek Incline, Prior MFR or F2 Eliminator, but that's a whole new subject for debate.

I can't see any other option than to stick with the switch system.
          Reload  Top
Grill
France
  #13  Re: Boot volume reducers  Posted 20/05/2010 @ 23:53
In reply to post #12...
You're over-tightening your straps on the SPX90. The ankle strap should be snug but shouldn't cut circulation and the toe strap should be just tight enough that your foot is stable and the toe box isn't crushed.

The Switch system has rubbish contact and response and is hindering your riding more than you think. By using boots that are too big (especially on a switch binding) your foot will not only slide forward, but it will take your tibia off axis and your press will be rubbish. If they were ski boots your shins would bruise in hours, and in board boots it will stress your achilles and metatarsals.

Seriously bro, if you can't get used to Burner+SPX90+Malamutes for hard carving and you feel you ride better with the Switches then you're better off spending your money on lessons.
          Reload  Top
boardgirl
Canada
  #14  Re: Boot volume reducers  Posted 21/05/2010 @ 06:27
In reply to post #13...
Yup, i agree...had the same problem when i switched from Salomon F22W's to Kiana's (hard to medium flex). My F22's i could do up really snug and never cut off circulation but when i did up my kiana's as tight as my F22's were my feet would go numb and be very painful! Finally realised i was overtightening everything and when i stopped fiddling so much they were fine :D

If you can't get out on snow to try straps again, they get yourself to an indoor slope and just have a mess around with how tight/lose you do your boots and bindings and you will notice a difference.

Get rid of the switch system, imho.
          Reload  Top
MacGB
Hertfordshire
  #15  Re: Boot volume reducers  Posted 21/05/2010 @ 10:20
In reply to post #14...
I've got very prominent veins on the tops of my ankles too but never have problems with the ankle straps. Watch something like SnowPig where you can see the pros strap in and out and you'll see that they don't ratchet up tightly at all, a couple of presses and that's it. I did use to tighten up too much and got the same feeling as you, I'd see if you can get along to a demo night and try as many different bindings as possible and see what fits your malamutes best.
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Banff Canada
- Laax end of Jan
- HOLY SH1T IT'S BACK!! :)
- Best board for carving/ charging hard
- New Board-sports apparel brand | Fotans Collective | Please support
- Chamrousse Feb 2018
- Values&Voices. Athletes as advocates for pro-environmental behavior - A research project
- FOR SALE: Zardoz Low-Fluoro Iron-On Race Wax
- With wise binding offset.
- Hemel Hemstead meetup / Ben Nevis Feb 09
- test
- Lib Tech Skate Banana sizing
- New members.
- Why did you start snowbording?
- Snowboard binding digging into little toe :(
- Tips for beginner snowboarders
- Booking a hoilday
- Mesh in the jacket snow cuff - normal?
- Just Finished Snow Dice for Android
- I had my first lesson yesterday
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2018 GONEboarding.co.uk