Booking a hoilday

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   Bearpoole1985   On:   Tuesday 17/04/2018 @ 13:32 Show Newest First    
Bearpoole1985
Suffolk
  #1  Booking a hoilday  Posted 17/04/2018 @ 13:32
Hi peeps I'm looking into booking my first snowboarding holiday and not sure what I'm looking for. I've heard Bansko is a good place to go. I'll be booking it with a few people who don't have there own stuff but I do, should I be worried about taking my own bits on the plane etc. Please help.
          Reload  Top
MrEgg
  #2  Re: Booking a hoilday  Posted 17/04/2018 @ 13:44
In reply to post #1...
think you need to decide what you want & for bankso - more importantly the date you are going. As there is only 1 gondola that takes you to the mountain queues in peak season (mid feb) can be 2hours long!
Bansko is cheap - but there are better options if your prepared to pay more.

As for taking your own bits.
Each airline is different, with different rules & prices.
BA (heathrow) who fly to Sofia for example will charge £60 each way (£120 in total) to take a snowboard.
Easyjet (gatwick) charge £37 eachway
THink RyanAir (Stanstead) is only £20 eachway
There is also Bulgarian Air who fly from Heathrow.
or Balkan Holiday Package is £15 IIRC

Have you thought about flying ryanair to Lourdes & doing the french side of the Pyranees?
          Reload  Top
Bearpoole1985
Suffolk
  #3  Re: Booking a hoilday  Posted 17/04/2018 @ 13:54
In reply to post #2...
This is all very new to me so not sure where to go. I don't mind spending a little more if it means I'll get to board quicker than waiting 2 hours. As it's my first time should I just rent?
          Reload  Top
MrEgg
  #4  Re: Booking a hoilday  Posted 17/04/2018 @ 14:08
In reply to post #3...
If you can afford somewhere other than Bulgaria, then you are already going to a better place!
You will find some good deals with the package firms (Crystal, Inghams, Neilsen, etc.)
for places in Italy, Austria, Andorra, etc.
Dont forget most places dont include a lift pass.
Inghams have a good ski all in for around £1200 to Andorra.
Thats an all inclusive hotel (breakfast, Dinner & Drinks), Lunch voucher for the mountain, Ski pass, flights, transfers & hire.

Bansko on otherhand.. Balkan Hioliday are flogging halfboard packages with a lift pass included for less than £400! (you can always pay for a taxi to take you to the top of the mountain for about £20 each morning). Add on about £50 for snowboard & boots hire.
For lessons - its worth paying more for private lessons.
Dont bother with a group lesson. Simple maths = 8 people in a group / 2 hours = 15mins of instructor time. You will spend the majority of your time sat on your arse waiting your turn.
          Reload  Top
Bearpoole1985
Suffolk
  #5  Re: Booking a hoilday  Posted 17/04/2018 @ 14:20
In reply to post #4...
Thank you. I'll prob take my own stuff, that is why I got it lol. £1200 is quite abit more than I wanna pay I was looking at about £500 for flights, room and lift pass, food we can sort when there as I'm a picky eater anyway. Will I need lessons as I'm learning on the local dry slope? The other will need to hire boots and boards and have lessons.
          Reload  Top
MrEgg
  #6  Re: Booking a hoilday  Posted 17/04/2018 @ 14:50
Revision #1 (Last edited: 17/04/2018 @ 14:51)
In reply to post #5...

QUOTE (Bearpoole1985 - 17/04/2018 @ 14:20)

Thank you. I'll prob take my own stuff, that is why I got it lol. £1200 is quite abit more than I wanna pay I was looking at about £500 for flights, room and lift pass, food we can sort when there as I'm a picky eater anyway. Will I need lessons as I'm learning on the local dry slope? The other will need to hire boots and boards and have lessons.

That budget you should be looking at Balkan Holiday. Especially as they have a deal on half price lift pass atm & it wont cost much to take your own gear.
Strazhite is a decent hotel for the money - it has a Spa (pool, sauna, wet room, etc.), decent location & also included halfboard (you dont have to eat whats on offer).

Outside of the Package option, you may struggle.
Lift pass = £150
Flight = £150 (or £200 to take your own gear)
Transfers about £40 return.
So you are not left with much out of your £500 budget to find accomodation.

As for Lessons - thats down to you - snow is easier than a dry slope - but one lesson can be beneficial just to learn the mountain layout & how to get around,etc. - ie like a guide!
          Reload  Top
Bearpoole1985
Suffolk
  #7  Re: Booking a hoilday  Posted 17/04/2018 @ 15:14
In reply to post #6...
Ahhh right. So looks like Balkan holidays it is then lol. my brother hasn't made his mind up if his going yet so I could end up going alone at this rate lol. Halfboard could be ok I just need somewhere to lay my head at night. When is a good time to go. I'm not sure peak season would suit me as a noob hehe. Plus my wife is a teacher so I would have to go in the school holidays otherwise she would need to drop off and pick up the kids from school which she can't do on term time.
          Reload  Top
MrEgg
  #8  Re: Booking a hoilday  Posted 17/04/2018 @ 16:44
In reply to post #7...

QUOTE (Bearpoole1985 - 17/04/2018 @ 15:14)

Ahhh right. So looks like Balkan holidays it is then lol. my brother hasn't made his mind up if his going yet so I could end up going alone at this rate lol. Halfboard could be ok I just need somewhere to lay my head at night. When is a good time to go. I'm not sure peak season would suit me as a noob hehe. Plus my wife is a teacher so I would have to go in the school holidays otherwise she would need to drop off and pick up the kids from school which she can't do on term time.

not sure what to suggest! How late in January could you go? (rather than feb.)
There is always accomodation & lift pass deals on snowtrex & sunweb.
so quite easy to get cheap flight or the snow train or even drive to the alps.
Also you could just go for a long weekend to landgraf - the indoor slope in holland?
          Reload  Top
Bearpoole1985
Suffolk
  #9  Re: Booking a hoilday  Posted 17/04/2018 @ 17:02
In reply to post #8...
I'm sure I can sort something out with in-laws and family dropping off the kids to school etc. I think I'll have to have a few trips to the Snowzone in Milton Keynes untill next year. Although if I don't book it as soon as I have the money I'll spend it lol.
          Reload  Top
MrEgg
  #10  Re: Booking a hoilday  Posted 17/04/2018 @ 17:22
In reply to post #9...
its worth looking at snowtrex
sunweb prices wont be up for another week or 2

Your location gives you a big advantage for destinations.

you could always just do a 3 or 4 ski day break as well.
Dont have to be a full week.
          Reload  Top
winterfunman
Lincolnshire
  #11  Re: Booking a hoilday  Posted 17/04/2018 @ 19:26
In reply to post #1...
Bansko isn't cheap cheap any more , it is now value for money , and here at www.bansko-sports.com we can sort all your needs except flights .
We give discount to GB members too

Kind regards WFM
we r only here for a short time , live life to the full every day

BANSKO Apartment deals see below:

http://www.alexander-apartment-bansko.com

info@alexander-apartment-bansko.com
          Reload  Top
meth mouth
London
  #12  Re: Booking a hoilday  Posted 18/04/2018 @ 17:06
Revision #1 (Last edited: 19/04/2018 @ 10:05)
In reply to post #9...
If you're going alone then maybe an apartment in Bansko might work out cheaper. Though you'll have to add food on top its cheap to eat in Bansko. We done a week in 2011 for £500 including spending. Granted it was cheaper them days but last year winterfunman helped me out and it was a steal at 500 quid for 5 days all in for 3 of us! That included our gear, apartment, two half days of lessons for the missus and her brother and my pass. You can't beat that anywhere mate and as a beginner Bansko is ideal.

The next level up IMV is UCPA where everything is included except flights at around £800 - £900 each.

Enjoy!
          Reload  Top
Bearpoole1985
Suffolk
  #13  Re: Booking a hoilday  Posted 18/04/2018 @ 20:04
In reply to post #12...
Thanks guys. Looks like I need to look into it a bit more. I think Bansko might be the best option as a first holiday. Just need to get practicing more now. Might have a few trips to the Snowzone in Milton Keynes quite a drive lol.
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Best board for carving/ charging hard
- test
- Lib Tech Skate Banana sizing
- New members.
- Why did you start snowbording?
- Snowboard binding digging into little toe :(
- Tips for beginner snowboarders
- Booking a hoilday
- Mesh in the jacket snow cuff - normal?
- Just Finished Snow Dice for Android
- I had my first lesson yesterday
- Linking my turns - dry slope
- Beginner Board Selection - Again Probably....Sorry!
- Advice on which board to buy, not technically a beginner but its been a while.
- What's your favorite shredding lingo?
- alitude sickness
- Very Rare Promo Sims Fader Vivid Video Cassidey Snowboard
- Boots for feet with high arches???
- Looking for Burton Photon BOA boots
- Last Snow Of The Winter
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2018 GONEboarding.co.uk