Best board for carving/ charging hard

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   Tom35   On:   Sunday 20/05/2018 @ 14:20 Show Newest First    
Tom35
UK - England
  #2  Best board for carving/ charging hard  Posted 20/05/2018 @ 14:20
Morning all, i’m After some advice/ opinions

I currently ride a 2015 skate banana and I’m looking at getting a second board, something that’s a lot more focused on charging and carving rather than being super loose and forgiving. I’ve been boarding for 15 years and would consider myself a pretty standard intermediate rider

Boards I like the look of are :

Rome reverb rocker,
Lib tech t rice pro
Nitro mountain
Dc mega

I know everyone has different opinions etc but any advice or personal experience of the boards would be cool, cheers
          Reload  Top
russ295
Forum Mod
Tyne & Wear
  #3  Re: Best board for carving/ charging hard  Posted 22/05/2018 @ 18:25
In reply to post #2...
I went down that route a few years ago with a Rome anthem.
Thought fcuk that after a week and sold it! Too much hard work!
          Reload  Top
Tom35
UK - England
  #4  Re: Best board for carving/ charging hard  Posted 23/05/2018 @ 09:33
In reply to post #3...
Yeah I did wonder if i’d Think the same, especially seeing as I ride a very forgiving board at the minute, but i’d just like to try a stiffer board to see, I might just bite the bullet and try one, I could always flog it on if I didn’t like it like you did
          Reload  Top
philw
UK - England
  #5  Re: Best board for carving/ charging hard  Posted 23/05/2018 @ 20:00
In reply to post #4...
I would just rent a few different boards and pick the one which works. The skate things are pretty much at one extreme - how well you get on with other stuff probably depends what you mean by "intermediate".

I rode one of the T Rice Pro boards the other year and that wasn't bad. From memory it was a "true twin", so not optimal for deep powder, but not bad.

They have a large range of sizes for those (like about 10) which is an excellent thing, although you do need to get that right. Lib doesn't specify weight ranges narrowly enough to do it from the specs. I don't think they're particularly consistent year on year either.
-> You have to ride them to get the right size.

If you actually want to carve then I'd not start with Lib though, who in my humble opinion are more park focused. You would probably find a cambered wide board more useful. Check out the companies promoting that sort of riding for what works.
powder mountain   Facts about snowboarding safety
          Reload  Top
Backyardboarder
Greater Manchester
  #6  Re: Best board for carving/ charging hard  Posted 14/08/2018 @ 07:29
In reply to post #2...
Good morning.

Having checked the last post, and also upon just checking my profile seeing the last board year is 15/16, I may be posting on a week dead and useless thread - carefully wasting my time to air my thoughts on a discussion no one reads or is interested in.

That being said, here is my two cents

I am surprised to see no mention of the Jones Flagship here - the TRice Pro is popular (and the pro is actually directional - though they do now produce a few, which is confusing) and though there are pros and cons to every board, in my opinion the Flagship is excellent in more areas than other boards I have owned or tested.

It is a lovely floater and you can grab as much powder as you like, from sugar dusted to waist deep dream-days. It turns beautifully and can handle as much speed as you can
On the piste it carves like a daddy, it guns, it makes any run a test of how fast can you dare go.

It is currently my all time favourite one board set up, and as such my others have been gathering dust throughout last year.
We will see what happens this year!!!
          Reload  Top
oldgit
Hampshire
  #7  Re: Best board for carving/ charging hard  Posted 19/08/2018 @ 10:46
In reply to post #6...
Hi - the site was down for a couple of months and is very quiet at the moment. But thanks for the posting. “What board does everything” or “should Inbuy an X or a Y” is one of the most common questions. 20 yrs ago it was a bit easier to answer but there are so many boards out there now that it’s very hard to get a view on the whole spectrum available.

Hopefully a few people,will,get back on here as the season approaches.
          Reload  Top
meth mouth
London
  #8  Re: Best board for carving/ charging hard  Posted 03/09/2018 @ 18:19
Revision #2 (Last edited: 03/09/2018 @ 18:24)
In reply to post #2...
Tom out of the 4 the nitro mountain would be the best but thats still geared for float in pow too. For hard charging and carving you should look at a fully cambered directional snowboard. My endeavour next is exactly that, but they're not around anymore. Flex you should be looking at would be around the 7 or 8 mark. Since you already ride a noodle it would make a good addition to your quiver and ride it when you fancy warpspeed!
          Reload  Top
MrEgg
  #9  Re: Best board for carving/ charging hard  Posted 06/09/2018 @ 12:54
In reply to post #8...
Rossignol XV
          Reload  Top
Slowboarder
France
  #10  Re: Best board for carving/ charging hard  Posted 20/09/2018 @ 12:31
In reply to post #2...
There's a whole category of 'Powder Carvers' out there which include these 4:

Nidecker Concept: https://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/reviews/snowboards/nidecker-concept-2017-2018/

Dupraz D1: https://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/reviews/snowboards/dupraz-d1-55-2017-2018/

Borealis Drakkar: http://www.boardsportsource.com/2017/10/26/borealis-snowboards/

Volkl Selecta - Volkl no longer make snowboards but I've just picked up a shiny new one of the last ones made for <£200, less than a 1/3 of full original retail

and many others.......
          Reload  Top
Chrisos
  #11  Re: Best board for carving/ charging hard  Posted 30/10/2018 @ 16:13
In reply to post #2...
As philw already stated, it would make sense to rent couple of boards and see which one would do the job. Rental providers such as SPORT 2000 should be fine, as they're quite flexible, when it comes to bookings - https://www.sport2000rent.com/en/skirental/ski-rental/ski-equipment/snowboards/
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- The North Face Free Thinker, Summit Series Gore Tex Pro Shell, Recco
- GNU asym B-nice 2019 vs Capita Space Metal Fantasy 2019
- FOR SALE: Zardoz NOTwax Base Boost / Base Lubricant
- which maps do you use?
- 2014/2015 Season Stoke!
- Why did you start snowbording?
- 2 spots available - Val Thorens 19-26th Jan 2019
- Looking for a good jacket to keep me warm on the slopes
- Chooseing a new boot
- pants: insulated or shell?
- Celtek Mittens - Can you help me?!
- snowboarding problems
- Package or DIY
- HOLY SH1T IT'S BACK!! :)
- Snowboard product survey.
- Idea! Trip for peopele with passion
- Pennsylvania snowboarding
- Niseko, Japan - looking to organise a cheap trip for anyone interested!
- numb toes
- What is my snowboard worth?
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2018 GONEboarding.co.uk