Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   tombolton82   On:   Saturday 25/02/2012 @ 14:24 Show Newest First    
tombolton82
France
  #1  Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?  Posted 25/02/2012 @ 14:24
There seems to be loads of questions coming up about lessons and learning to board. Normally saying something like "I've been to the fridge and had a three hour lesson, am I ready to take on a mountain withou and further tuition?" or "is it a bad idea to get my mate to teach me how to board" or "I crashed into a skier on my second day, oopsy daisy, was it my fault?".

I'm a firm believer in proper lessons when you are a beginner and ongoing lessons as you progress, be it in a fridge or on a mountain and I think a lot of the regular members on here share a similar view.

Is there any way we can get some kind of guide to give recommendations about learning to snowboard properly and safely as a sticky thread which could come up before we get these questions?
          Reload  Top
philw
UK - England
  #2  Re: Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?  Posted 25/02/2012 @ 15:53
In reply to post #1...
Nice idea, but I don't think that's how it works for those questions. The people who ask them can't be bothered to read the thousands of old threads asking the same question, so they're unlikely to bother with an "FAQ" or sticky.

There are also thousands of threads about people who want to buy the latest fashionable board without riding it, and ask which size to buy. The data they need is published across the world by the manufacturer and often stuck on the board itself, yet still they ask.

And still we reply... if we wanted to stop we could just let those threads die, or one person could point the punter at google where they could easily research their question, and then the thread could die. Actually it's harder than that, because even if the "sensible" people decide not to play, there's always going to be the usual "well I never rode either but I think your board should be as tall as your chin" idiots, and once you start bantering with them the damage is done. Harumph.

Great idea, not sure how to make it work.
powder mountain   Facts about snowboarding safety
          Reload  Top
user34324
  #3  Re: Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?  Posted 25/02/2012 @ 20:38
In reply to post #2...
I don't think that is very nice thing to say... Obviously people are not going to be bothered to read the thousands of old threads like you say.. Would you??

isn't that what the forum is about to learn from real peoples recent expierences instead of googling them or reading 5 year old threads?

And I think it is quite a good idea but it is just a question who you ask because opinions vary in this..
          Reload  Top
TINRIB mk2
Gloucestershire
  #4  Re: Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?  Posted 25/02/2012 @ 21:07
In reply to post #3...
I dont some people are just lazy. If they only spent two minutes doing a search they would find a wealth of answers to there questions. I think there should be a permanent thread/post window on the main page alongside the new posts with the standard questions that are asked year in and year out with links and info to past posts ect.
SHAKE AND BAKE........
          Reload  Top
user34324
  #5  Re: Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?  Posted 25/02/2012 @ 21:13
In reply to post #4...
I think that is what the beginner section is for to ask real life people.. What else is the point of joining a forum if you can find everything on wiki? And if you cant be bothered to help then why respond?
          Reload  Top
TINRIB mk2
Gloucestershire
  #6  Re: Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?  Posted 25/02/2012 @ 21:19
In reply to post #5...
Im not talking about wiki im talking about searching on this site thats what the search button is for!! And if your a beginer search throughthe beginer pages. Maybe they should make that section more promnent on the main page!
SHAKE AND BAKE........
          Reload  Top
user34324
  #7  Re: Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?  Posted 25/02/2012 @ 21:24
In reply to post #6...
Yes and if your new to the forum you might not find your way around as easy as some of the ppl who've been on here for longer.. but then brand them being lazy ! If you post something a question on the advanced section im sure there will also be a repeat from some years ago!!
          Reload  Top
tombolton82
France
  #8  Re: Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?  Posted 25/02/2012 @ 21:29
In reply to post #5...
I'm on loads of forums cos I'm a bit of a nerd and nearly all of them have stickys in various section for subjects that come up over and over again. I don't mean to say that we should ignore people that are asking for advice as I've used other peoples advice loads in the past and I'm happy to help anyone of I can.

Most of the stickys that I've read through start off as a thread on that subject and it's a discussion regarding the subject. The threads sometimes go on for years and have a massive amount of replies giving differing opinions on the said subject. Because they are ongoing then people can add to them and clarify the advice and opinions on the subject. I didnt really mean just putting some kind of wiki guide up but I do completely understand your point that asking questions is probably one of the main reasons that most of us join forums in the first place and wouldn't want to take that away from anyone, just try to help them to find out a mass of opinions in whatever they wanted to know.
          Reload  Top
wildebeest
Isle of Tiree
  #9  Re: Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?  Posted 25/02/2012 @ 22:40
In reply to post #8...
I think if the search function worked it would be easier for noobies.

I've been on here for a few years and the same subjects come up season after season.

If people can't search first then it makes life difficult for noobs and boring for the season professionals.LOL
www.neversummer.com
          Reload  Top
TINRIB mk2
Gloucestershire
  #10  Re: Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?  Posted 25/02/2012 @ 23:49
In reply to post #9...
Lazy was probably abit harsh but like the other poster i use other forums and I tend to read through information on there first before I ask questions. The search function on here is pants, I do agree with what has been said regarding sticky threads tho.
SHAKE AND BAKE........
          Reload  Top
tombolton82
France
  #11  Re: Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?  Posted 26/02/2012 @ 07:12
In reply to post #10...
I think one of the reasons is (and this is not a criticism of gb at all) is the way that the forum is laid out. It's the only forum that I use which displays a list of the latest posts on the main page. For me this is great because I read all the new threads, I don't think I ever go into the main part of the forum unless I'm posting a new thread.
All the other ones I use you have to go into each section individually which will then have the sticky threads at the top. This then kind of forces people into seeig that there is already a thread covering the information.
For example I'm a member of the t4forum and there is an engine section. At the top of the section Is a technical articles section which has guides regarding servicing and then it has sticky threads at the top of the main section which have threads where people have done something to their vehicle and taken photos posting a guide of how to do it. I've never seen anything like that on here really?! Yet we seem to have loads of questions about board servicing etc, it would be great if someone posted a thread wih pics to show everyone how it's done and explain each process, a picture paints a thousand words as they say. That's just one example
          Reload  Top
fatbob
Forum Mod
Nottinghamshire
  #12  Re: Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?  Posted 26/02/2012 @ 08:50
But which thread do you choose and what information? There are so many differing ideas on lessons and the need for them.
Clicky here to donate to our 9 day LEJOG ride for Christian Aid and Disability Snowsports UK
Use the code LZP12 at Proskins for 10% off and 10% to Christian Aid
Love Snow
The Rider Social Chatel
          Reload  Top
y0shi
Somerset
  #13  Re: Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?  Posted 26/02/2012 @ 09:00
In reply to post #11...
I think this sounds like an idea, i'm a newbie to this site and the last thing you want to do is annoy the people your trying to learn off but just repeating the same old stuff!! tend to get general knowledge thread info on car forums, i.e servicing etc but it takes someone with a bit of time and know how to produce.

Maybe the idea if for someone to just put a few threads together and ask if they can get pined to the top of the beginner section?
Bring on the Powder!
          Reload  Top
philw
UK - England
  #14  Re: Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?  Posted 26/02/2012 @ 11:54
In reply to post #3...

QUOTE (user34324 - 25/02/2012 @ 20:38)

I don't think that is very nice thing to say... Obviously people are not going to be bothered to read the thousands of old threads like you say.. Would you??

Hang on. I said that if you can't be bothered to search, you're unlikely to be bothered to look for a sticky. What's "not nice" about that precisely? It seems simple enough.

To answer your question, I generally try to look at FAQs and other threads when I'm posting a question, because I don't want to waste my time and yours by asking something which someone just asked. I think that I am being polite by doing this - do you not agree?

My point remains: stickies probably won't stop those who continually post the same questions.

I think that if we want to reduce the number of those questions, then we should stop answering them, or answer them with a pointer to an FAQ or sticky. It's not a technical problem, it's a people problem, like dealing with trolls.

If you happen to read one of those threads, they often have completely incorrect advice in them, so there's a huge temptation to correct that, if you know it's wrong. If you have a sticky, then you can just refer people to it, rather than answering in every mindless thread, which is like herding cats. If we have the collective will to do that, the thread will die quickly, and posters will learn to make better use of the place.

Or keep on keeping on - it's our choice.
powder mountain   Facts about snowboarding safety
          Reload  Top
tombolton82
France
  #15  Re: Any chance of a sticky thread ref beginner lessons?!?  Posted 26/02/2012 @ 14:21
In reply to post #12...

QUOTE (fatbob - 26/02/2012 @ 08:50)

But which thread do you choose and what information? There are so many differing ideas on lessons and the need for them.

We could simply start a thread titled Something like "beginner and ongoing snowboarding lessons, opinions and advice" with the first post being written similar to the title but maybe giving that persons advice or experience.

It was just an idea and not necessarily to just stop the same questions coming up over and over but it would be a ready made list of opinions and advice on the subject, not just a wiki. It might not be something that could work on here, I don't know?!? Jut thought it might help to improve something that I think of as OUR forum which is first and for most here to assist us with our chosen sport and to provide all the members with as much info and opinions as possible
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- GoPro flat mounts for sale
- Jib board sizing query
- Looking for advice!
- Anyone looking for Snowboard cross training and competition
- Holiday comp
- Feeling low energy
- True Freedom 163 Board
- Epic Pass On Sale
- Package or DIY
- Best board for carving/ charging hard
- Capita Quality??
- buying first gear
- What's my next board after 12 years on a Rome Anthem?
- EasyJet £10 carriage for sports equipment.
- last minute .... les 2 alpes 16-23 March
- Last Minute Powder Trip Junkies!
- Bindings too big? Please help!
- Rear toe overhang on freeride board
- Best ladies beginner board?
- Courchevel off piste snowboard guide recommendations
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2019 GONEboarding.co.uk