Advice please!

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   vestax32   On:   Tuesday 29/08/2017 @ 14:28 Show Newest First    
vestax32
  #1  Advice please!  Posted 29/08/2017 @ 14:28
Hi everyone, just joined the forum, but not new to boarding. I have been boarding for a few years, and have been away five times on proper boarding holidays. I would say I'm at the early intermediate stages of skill level, meaning I'm pretty confident riding round the mountain, but not as fast as I would like to be, not interested in doing tricks etc, just want to become a bit faster and more confident. Can't ride switch but would like to learn, but certainly not a priority.

So the last two times I have been away I felt like I had hit a brick wall with skill level and became somewhat dissalusioned, decided to pack it in and learn how to ski on my next trip. Now a few months on I'm starting to think I want to stick with boarding and try to improve. So I have gotten rid of my previous set up and want to get new board/bindings/boots for my next trip in January, as I felt I never had the correct set up.

So my question is, which board/bindings/boots would people be going for in my position, bearing in mind I'm at advanced beginner/early intermediate stage and am not interested in tricks etc, just want to confidently ride on piste. There seems to be more tech since I last researched years ago, with rocker, camber etc.

Thanks in advance!
          Reload  Top
philw
UK - England
  #2  Re: Advice please!  Posted 29/08/2017 @ 17:02
In reply to post #1...
You're probably not going to like it, but...

Probably lessons would be the best thing to spend money on, if you want to progress quickly. Gear doesn't make that much difference, especially if you don't know what you like (we certainly don't, we've not seen you ride...).

The best way to find out what works for you is... to rent it. Better still, take your instructor into the rental shop with you and get her to help you pick a board or two to try.

If you just buy some stuff on spec then it may or may not work for you, and you really need to know which before you spend the cash.
powder mountain   photography    CoC   work   Facts about snowboarding safety
          Reload  Top
vestax32
  #3  Re: Advice please!  Posted 29/08/2017 @ 18:15
In reply to post #2...
Thanks, I have had a couple of private lessons when in Morzine, I think my technique is probably ok, just thinking I would like some gear to help me along....
          Reload  Top
meth mouth
London
  #4  Re: Advice please!  Posted 30/08/2017 @ 12:05
In reply to post #1...
You're doing what most beginner snowboarders do, think you're an intermediate and buy gear to match blaming current setup for not progressing. 5 weeks isn't intermediate. I haven't seen you ride but I'm pretty sure hence "So the last two times I have been away I felt like I had hit a brick wall with skill level and became somewhat dissalusioned,"

Get yourself a proper fitting pair of boots and spend money on lessons.
          Reload  Top
russ295
Forum Mod
Tyne & Wear
  #5  Re: Advice please!  Posted 01/09/2017 @ 14:07
In reply to post #4...
Both meth and Phil unfortunately speak sense.
I've been snowboarding for 20 years plus and still have a lesson or 2 when I'm away.
That's after about 4/5 weeks of tuition in total. Some for a full week, some a couple of hours.

Get in touch with Ash at Snowboardcoach and book on a riding week this winter in Andorra.
http://www.snowboardcoach.co.uk
It'll be better than wasting money on new kit you probably don't need.
          Reload  Top
cossie
West Midlands
  #6  Re: Advice please!  Posted 24/09/2017 @ 18:59
In reply to post #1...
As the others have said, lessons ARE the answer - actually its more like coaching, not lessons. I plateau'd too a while back. I have snowboarded over 20 years and ski'd for 3 and I still get stuck in a rut from time to time even now.

Sometimes you just need that extra push and someone else who can improve you and give you a fresh perspective and help you to get you to the next level and you can start enjoying it again.

I just went to a Ski school in Alpe D'Huez and asked if I could get an advanced lesson in a group with some freestyle tricks thrown in. What I actually got was an instructor called Pierre who picked me up on some bad habits i'd developed over the years. Over the 4 hour session, 10 of us followed the instructors lines and he watched each one of us in turn and picked all our faults out and that got me really thinking about my riding. He also took us to parts of the resort I hadn't been (and I know the resort really well - or so I thought) and got us doing frontside 180's and then 360's off natural hits.

Next day I put all of what I had learned into practise and by the end of the week, I felt I was riding the mountain like a boss. Carving lines like I never had, taking side hits in my stride and generally feeling good about myself and full of confidence.
http://www.devineride.co.uk

Ski Snowboard Shop - Halesowen
in the heart of the West Midlands

- Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us -
- Better to do something imperfectly than to do nothing flawlessly -
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Snow chains
- Snowboard Proposal
- What are the Major Reasons Behind the Prevailing Importance of Jewellery
- Need suggestion
- Helmet or not?
- Off boarding Sat 11 November 2017 Castleford
- 6 year old newbie
- Burton step on photon boot uk 7.5 swap for uk 8.
- Guinness snowboard unused whats it worth
- Colorado, which resort?
- Can you help me out!!
- Snowboard boots comfort
- Snowboard boots comfort
- JAPAN Airlines - snowboard carriage/baggage help!?
- Snow mates gathering for 2018 trips, Expanding the network with winter sports!
- Sites for season accomodation Austria
- Labourer's wanted Bulgaria
- Snowboarding in November
- Impact Shorts Sellers UK
- I made a list of ski pass prices 2017/2018 for largest ski resorts in Europe
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2017 GONEboarding.co.uk