Advice on snowboard edge / topsheet

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   Flinnster   On:   Thursday 04/01/2018 @ 20:23 Show Newest First    
Flinnster
Surrey
  #1  Advice on snowboard edge / topsheet  Posted 04/01/2018 @ 20:23
Revision #1 (Last edited: 04/01/2018 @ 20:24)
Hi, I wonder if I could ask for your advice on the best way to repair a board topsheet that has started to bubble / come away from the turning edge on one of my boards.

There was always a little bubble / topsheet scrape repair in this location when I picked up the board (2nd hand).
But it was pretty small, no more than a cm or two.

After lending the board to a friend for his family ski holiday, it returned with the edge coming away, probably a length of about 4 inches now.
There's no ding or buckling to the metal edge that I can see, just the topsheet is moving away:

Everything is robustly solid, there's no flappyness or flex in the topsheet material in this area. But clearly there has been water penetration, and everything looks very nasty and crusty.
Clearly I need to scrape out the gap, and fill it with resin of some sort.

I wanted to know if anyone has done similar repairs in the past, and any reccomended products to use?

Is clamping this necessary if it's already pretty solid? The repair doesn't need to be uber-pretty, it just needs to be functional to stop the board getting worse.

Cheers!
For Sale:
- HangTime Snowboard Wall Mounts in black or white colours. £25 including UK postage. Just send me a message, or see the classifieds section!
- Giro Basis Goggles (White frame, black strap, gold flowers design, gold / amber lens) £75. See the classifieds section for photos!
          Reload  Top
meth mouth
London
  #2  Re: Advice on snowboard edge / topsheet  Posted 04/01/2018 @ 21:29
In reply to post #1...
I used this stuff for a similar fix and it worked a treat and its cheap.
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #3  Re: Advice on snowboard edge / topsheet  Posted 05/01/2018 @ 11:51
In reply to post #2...
Nice - that is cheap! I was looking at marine epoxy which was £50 a tub!
For Sale:
- HangTime Snowboard Wall Mounts in black or white colours. £25 including UK postage. Just send me a message, or see the classifieds section!
- Giro Basis Goggles (White frame, black strap, gold flowers design, gold / amber lens) £75. See the classifieds section for photos!
          Reload  Top
gyro247
West Yorkshire
  #4  Re: Advice on snowboard edge / topsheet  Posted 10/01/2018 @ 15:17
In reply to post #1...
Ive always used apoxy on repairs like that. Not 4 inches though!!

Hope you get it sorted.
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #5  Re: Advice on snowboard edge / topsheet  Posted 12/01/2018 @ 01:35
In reply to post #4...
I am fully clamped up and ready to go. Hopefully repair surgery will be performed this weekend

(I'll try not to stick the clamp to the board too...)
For Sale:
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #6  Re: Advice on snowboard edge / topsheet  Posted 14/01/2018 @ 22:03
In reply to post #5...
Repair in full effect, I'll leave the clamps on a few days, and meanwhile pray this holds!

For Sale:
          Reload  Top
gyro247
West Yorkshire
  #7  Re: Advice on snowboard edge / topsheet  Posted 15/01/2018 @ 15:33
In reply to post #6...
What did you use in the end?

Fingers crossed it works buddy
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #8  Re: Advice on snowboard edge / topsheet  Posted yesterday at 15:18
In reply to post #7...
OK in the end, a little jittery about getting my gear repaired + ready in time, I went for the nearest I could find at B+Q:

Supposedly good to -30'C, flexible and water resistant.

So it's not the prettiest thing in the world, and my clamps have made a couple of slight circular indents in the topsheet, but that's OK - this board was never bought for looks anyway.

So far pretty happy with the result. The topsheet lift is gone and the resin is nice and solid. Where I trimmed away some excess with knife the resin has gone white, so I've left the smooth clear surface a little proud of the metal rail at the point where the lifting was worse - haven't bothered filing or sanding down.
I'll see how it fares with some flexing and cold conditions outdoors or at a snowdome soon!

For Sale:
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Advice on snowboard edge / topsheet
- Car with room for 2 heading out to the Alps! - Friday 26th Jan
- Celtek Mittens - Can you help me?!
- Need local buddies! (Rossendale/Chillfactore)
- What did I just buy, hugh?
- Women's bindings - Now Vetta v Burton Lexa
- Boarding Buddy
- Boots for feet with high arches???
- Snowbombing 2018? Anyone going alone?
- Austria-Mayrhofen 10th March, Intermediate Boarder looking a few buddies
- Heading to Mayrhofen Austria, 10th March, 1 Week Boarding, Anyone About
- First Session of the Season!
- Quiet resorts in March (europe)
- For sale: Scott alpride avalanche rescue bag, ABS, 2018 Brand new RRP £750
- Level 1 instructor course
- On the cusp of binding Sizes....what to do?
- Lib Tech Skate Banana sizing
- Fully Catered Chalet, 4 places, 24th-31st March - La Plagne
- Custom Vinyl Stickers??
- WANTED: burton custom twin 154/156 or similar.
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2018 GONEboarding.co.uk