Advice on equipment

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   crackup   On:   Saturday 10/02/2018 @ 18:50 Show Newest First    
crackup
  #1  Advice on equipment  Posted 10/02/2018 @ 18:50
I have not bought any equipment since 2010.

Curently have some old 2010 flow bindings that i plan to replace with new flow nx2 bindings.

My current board is a palmer honeycomb from 2010 ish. It has approx 18 half days riding since then. Few minor scratches but seems ok. It was 500 quid and supposed to be lightest ever at the time.

Has the technology in boards moved on much since 2010? I notice freeride boards now go into a point or have a series of flat edges at the nose and tail.

I only free ride on piste. I consider myself nothing more than intermidiate. I struggle putting in turns when its mogglie or very icy but i can make reasonable progress. I dont need high speed stability because i always bottle it at 20mph and put a turn in. But i would love a board that will help me initiate turns easier and hold a good edge. What would anyone suggest? A guy in a shop in Austria started to try and sell me a v rocker a few years ago.

BURTON SKELETON KEY is an example i found of generic free ride board. Will it offer me anything over a 2010 palmer honeycomb?
          Reload  Top
winni
London
  #2  Re: Advice on equipment  Posted 17/02/2018 @ 21:30
In reply to post #1...
The big difference is the range of camber profiles on offer now days.

The honeycomb was a amazing board. I rode one for a few days back in mid 00's Did the 2010 have flf rocker?

If not - then you might benefit from something with a bit of rocker in it. Trad camber (relative to a profile with some rocker in it) requires better technique as it locks you into the turn a bit more i.e. it wants you to finish the last turn before making the next one.

From hardest to easiest - very very generally speaking is something like:
Trad Camber, Rocker-Camber-Rocker, Rocker-Flat-Rocker, Camber-Rocker-Camber, Full Rocker.

Manufactures are starting to talk more about different levels of torsional stiffness too. Always used to be a part of the design but you never heard about it until recently.

A lot of the freeriding boards in the last couple of years is going 'backseat camber' i.e. rocker in the nose and camber under the back foot. Makes sense to me. Burton calls it 'Directional Camber' which is what the SK has.

Here is a good current thread.
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/252682-looking-new-board-grow-into.html
          Reload  Top
daywalker
London
  #3  Re: Advice on equipment  Posted 18/02/2018 @ 21:19
Strangely asked almost the same question as this in another forum this Morning (my set up is 2008) and to a man the replies i got was... Your good to go.. Wood is wood - snow is snow - if it was good then.. It's still good now

I do NOT fear Death - I fear not living..........er.........and small people with very large hands!

www.britishbushido.wix.com/bca-uk
          Reload  Top
crackup
  #4  Re: Advice on equipment  Posted 19/02/2018 @ 13:51
In reply to post #2...
Thanks for advice. I bit the bullet and bought a burton flying v 2018. Flow nx2 gt and flow talon boots. Boots and bindings are a night and day step up. Not tested the board. Where does it sit in that heirachy of rocker ness?

My palmer honeycomb had the flf rocker thing but of i put board on ground it looks like a camber board.
          Reload  Top
winni
London
  #5  Re: Advice on equipment  Posted 23/02/2018 @ 15:31
In reply to post #4...
My Palmer flf looks like its full camber too but compared to my trad camber Palmer the turn initiation is def easier.

Maybe Palmer FLF is not as loose as other companies RCR profiles? The honeycombe is meant to be a free ride board though so maybe there is only a touch of rocker in it compared to their all mountain / freestyle boards.

Interested to know how you get on with your flying v.
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Banff Canada
- Laax end of Jan
- HOLY SH1T IT'S BACK!! :)
- Best board for carving/ charging hard
- New Board-sports apparel brand | Fotans Collective | Please support
- Chamrousse Feb 2018
- Values&Voices. Athletes as advocates for pro-environmental behavior - A research project
- FOR SALE: Zardoz Low-Fluoro Iron-On Race Wax
- With wise binding offset.
- Hemel Hemstead meetup / Ben Nevis Feb 09
- test
- Lib Tech Skate Banana sizing
- New members.
- Why did you start snowbording?
- Snowboard binding digging into little toe :(
- Tips for beginner snowboarders
- Booking a hoilday
- Mesh in the jacket snow cuff - normal?
- Just Finished Snow Dice for Android
- I had my first lesson yesterday
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2018 GONEboarding.co.uk