1st couple Go Pro Videos

| Add a new Post...
Post By
  Thread Started By:   thecadgod   On:   Saturday 26/01/2013 @ 06:16 Show Newest First    
thecadgod
  #1  1st couple Go Pro Videos  Posted 26/01/2013 @ 06:16
Recently got a Go Pro and started using it for boarding. I find it makes stuff look really flat and pretty slow. Any suggestions? I been using Windows Movie Maker, feels limited to me. What do you guys suggest?

Made this vid with my bro in Mammoth Lakes, Ca
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBh3BJ3AWK8

Made this one with my Fam in Mammth a couple weeks later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTHk68b1Ia8
          Reload  Top
tomw_n
France
  #2  Re: 1st couple Go Pro Videos  Posted 26/01/2013 @ 08:02
Revision #1 (Last edited: 26/01/2013 @ 08:02)
In reply to post #1...
Not bad.

Tips:
Get closer (like at 1.37). Like really close.

Use different person perspectives. Like with a gopro pole looking back at you. Or on your shoulder like the travis rice contour teaser.

For first person, hold the camera lower to make it look faster (like the bikes in the gopro vid).

To make it look steeper you just need to ride steeper stuff
          Reload  Top
rikmac
West Yorkshire
  #3  Re: 1st couple Go Pro Videos  Posted 26/01/2013 @ 09:41
In reply to post #1...
good vids and good edit.....Id already seen some of your vids on utube before this post.....spooky
which go pro you using? the hd2 has loads of settings on it,not sure about the 3 but I expect it has more
try using the narrow setting instead of wide for better close ups and to show some of the steepness
Im on my 2nd go pro now and have been filming on board motox with headcam for a while and the films always look slower than it was at the time
for my board ive found the best place to mount it for speed and steepness is on the board its self,which I did with the windscreen mount although im now putting a stick on mount to my board as once the windscreen mount is wet its useless and you run the risk of losing your cam
another problem is that you need to point your nose at what your filming which ain't easy when turning etc
          Reload  Top
thecadgod
  #4  Re: 1st couple Go Pro Videos  Posted 26/01/2013 @ 14:59
In reply to post #3...
Thanks for taking the time to watch the videos and provide feedback. I can't wait for the my next trip so I can try out your suggestions.

What are you guys using to edit? I heard Sony Vegas is pretty powerful and user friendly...
          Reload  Top
rikmac
West Yorkshire
  #5  Re: 1st couple Go Pro Videos  Posted 26/01/2013 @ 18:07
In reply to post #4...
I use windows live movie maker but are gonna upgrade to something better just don't know what yet
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #6  Re: 1st couple Go Pro Videos  Posted 27/01/2013 @ 18:47
Revision #5 (Last edited: 27/01/2013 @ 18:49)
In reply to post #5...
Yeah, you've made a good start already Looks like you had good fun in the trees there

I'd say get yourself some poles and experiment with self-filming, following other people using the poles to get really close, do overhead cams, looking backwards, forwards, and at the sides.
Not the greatest snap in the world.. but look at everyone filming (almost all on poles):

We use a mixture of monopods/hand grip mounts so we can film like holding a gun - just point at the target while you concentrate on your riding.
For the poles, anything from specific GoPro poles like the 'GoPole' series, or use a standard camera monopod pole with the GoPro tripod mount.

A lot of your shots were filmed from static viewpoints, good to have a few, but especially in the trees, things look good when you follow eachother in sequence, whoever at the back filming forwards, and the person at the front self-filming on a pole so the camera points back at the group.
And jumps look loads bigger if you film from further underneath the jump takeoff point

Also, some of your footage was over-exposed in bright sunlight. You might want to think about getting a polarising GoPro filter like one of these:
http://www.shredheads.co.uk/listings/polarpro/pp-std-pol/index.htm#page=page-4
          Reload  Top
rikmac
West Yorkshire
  #7  Re: 1st couple Go Pro Videos  Posted 27/01/2013 @ 19:29
In reply to post #6...
Also, some of your footage was over-exposed in bright sunlight. You might want to think about getting a polarising GoPro filter like one of these:
http://www.shredheads.co.uk/listings/polarpro/pp-std-pol/index.htm#page=page-4

hi flinnster
How does this filter fair when it gets a bit darker ??
Its a problem ive had with motox vids and im sure will have on the mountain with all that white stuff and hopefully the sun
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #8  Re: 1st couple Go Pro Videos  Posted 27/01/2013 @ 19:55
Revision #1 (Last edited: 27/01/2013 @ 19:56)
In reply to post #7...
Yeah, you need to think in the same way as wearing dark-lens goggles/glasses really. You put them on for bright sunny days, and take them off on low light days. Same deal with the polarising filters, as they do the same kind of thing. You just tap the case lightly with the camera not in it, and they pop out.

The idea is it's easier to brighten up slightly darker video footage when editing than it is to try and save a totally-white over exposed video by darkening it. If you use the darkening filter on a low light day, you'd just go to the other extreme, and be trying to brighten a totally dark grey video with a few highlights in it!
          Reload  Top
thecadgod
  #9  Re: 1st couple Go Pro Videos  Posted 28/01/2013 @ 23:15
In reply to post #8...
I picked up a Mono pod and a tri pod today! see how that works! Heading to Co for a week. Hopefully get some good footage. Thank you for the time to view, and reply. I will most definitely be incorporating your suggestions!
          Reload  Top
thecadgod
  #10  Re: 1st couple Go Pro Videos  Posted 14/02/2013 @ 23:22
In reply to post #9...
1st off thanks to everyone for the input I took it to heart and tried again...

Couple buddies went to Mammoth, what you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyzsWwHMye0

I tried to keep the clip shorter, rider closer, get the camera lower. I bought a pole but don't like it much... I will try again next time. I really tried with the over exposure this time and I think I did better. Im totally getting a lens for it. I have a Gopro 1 and it is very limited.
          Reload  Top
kiwilucas
UK - England
  #11  Re: 1st couple Go Pro Videos  Posted 15/02/2013 @ 19:13
In reply to post #10...
awesome vid m8...god gotta get my a$$ to the USA sometime...done canada... now gotta hit some of them parks n mountains in the big ole US!
I.Shall.Devour.Everything.
          Reload  Top
Flinnster
Surrey
  #12  Re: 1st couple Go Pro Videos  Posted 15/02/2013 @ 20:38
In reply to post #10...
to the nice pow-slash in the middle. Like that
Nice mix of action and camera shots, you could do with being closer or filming on a longer pole for most of the park sections though.
Alpine Apartment For Rent:
Self catering chalet in Champagny-en-Vanoise to rent (Paradiski / La Plagne piste area).
Sleeps 4, available £475 per week. £250 refundable damage deposit.
          Reload  Top
Hostile Smoker
West Midlands
  #13  Re: 1st couple Go Pro Videos  Posted 16/02/2013 @ 08:54
In reply to post #10...
Great video, absolutely love it!
Hostile Smoker's Snowboarding blog...
          Reload  Top
grayzer
  #14  Re: 1st couple Go Pro Videos  Posted 16/02/2013 @ 13:22
In reply to post #10...
great stuff your doin what im aiming for ive just got the hero 3 black so looking for tips on what setting to video on ive used 1080 medium but not sure whats would be best yet, im in scotland so getting blue sky days aint easy might need to get a filter for dull days so what would i get? ive ordered a pole to use as ive only had my helmet mount so far and finding it hard to get the right angle, my phone doesnt support the android app yet so its pure guess work any help would be great.
          Reload  Top
grayzer
  #15  Re: 1st couple Go Pro Videos  Posted 16/02/2013 @ 13:25
In reply to post #10...
oh and how do you slow the footage is that in go pro cini form or movie maker?
          Reload  Top
Subscribe using any feed reader!
  Featured Websites
  TheSnowboardAsylum : The Snowboard Asylum – The UK’s largest range of snowboard hardware and outerwear, from brands including Burton, YES, Bataleon, Jones, Slash and loads more.
Search the Forum
Advanced Search
Latest Posts Latest Active Threads RSS Feed
- Snowboard songs
- Burton Nug
- Another which board should I buy post!
- Jones Mountain Twin opinions?
- Snowbombing 2015 - anybody going alone?
- Herniated Disk L4/L5 - Getting Back on the Slopes
- Camps???
- Capita horroescope size
- K2 mini turbo (kids board)
- Dec 13th - 20th Valdisere NEED 3 FRIENDS
- Solo traveler looking for december getaway
- Goofy or regular
- Mourning the end of Nike Snowboarding
- Couple looking for companions Feb 21st trip
- Friends needed! 1st week in Jan!
- Board Question!
- Les Deux Alpes 11/01/15-25/01/15
- Snowboarding season looking or e to wing it with me and try and find a job abroad. to do a snowboard season
- 2015 boarding holiday
- Which Alpine resort for a cost effective 4 days of shredding??!
Get our Newsletter
Your E-mail Address
More Details
Find us on Facebook
© 2001-2014 GONEboarding.co.uk